• Total voters

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I see a lot of people getting oil samples tested and fuel content in oil has been a concern so I thought it might be nice to collect info and summarize. The most common oil test facility used is Blackstone Labs but there are others. A goal of this poll is to see how widespread the problem is and what averages are.

If you have had your oil tested, and that test reports fuel content as a percentage, please add yourself to this poll.

Oil test results, % fuel in oil:
<0.5%
0.5-1.0%
1.0-2.0%
2.0-3.0%
3.0-5.0%
5.0-10.0%
>10%

I think those ranges might be a good span from great to horrible, and range from no problem to keep an eye on it next oil change to you better do something NOW.

I know some conditions matter. If you've got many miles of hard towing, you can expect higher fuel content. Or even you're just "turbo happy." So I've allowed this poll to be updated with a second test if needed. For example, after fuel system repairs, or after different running conditions, or even after more mileage has been put on your truck, breaking in the piston rings a little better.

Reference discussions:

Fuel in Oil - Big discussion thread. Please continue discussion there about problems, solutions, etc.

Fuel in Oil Poll - Less technical poll based on smell and oil level in crankcase. Sound off there if you have an issue but no test to back it up.

For this thread, please only participate if you have had your oil tested, and maybe just limit discussion to your results and specific notes from Blackstone. Big battles with corporate Ford and your dealer regarding fuel content are probably better in held in the big discussion thread, where much discussion is already ongoing.

If anyone is wondering, my fuel content has been tested multiple times. Initial test was only .5%, highest fuel content was 2.8% after a winter of hard riding, and I average out in the 1-2% range over time. (My poll entry updated 03/11/22 with my overall seasonal average - those of you with multiple seasonal tests I recommend you enter an average also) Also no antifreeze or water content. Same highish copper everyone has on a low mile engine. My viscosity was still a little on the low side after 5000 miles so I'm glad I changed the oil and didn't wait for the engine oil monitor to tell me when to change it. Looking at the results, a 10,000 mile oil change interval for me would have been too long because my oil was already breaking down. Might have been due to warm up idling in the winter, or just due to a happy right foot and turbo. I don't go easy on this truck. Other details:
Average dailly drive 60 miles
Mostly highway driving
Auto stop-start disabled
Engine manufacture date Sept 19
Running 87 Oct w/10% ethanol
No lift kit or big tires
Occasionally warm up w/remote start
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Three Blackstone tests all with only 1-2k on oil. All three range from 2.5-2.8 fuel dilution.

Attachments

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Below is one of the tests the dealership sent out. 13% fuel at 2111 miles on oil. They did another one, that they did not give me a copy of because they couldn't find it when I asked for it, but that one was 12% fuel at 500 miles on oil. I am actually driving my truck with the oil level much higher than when the below sample was taken, as I was instructed to drive it 5000 miles, as the Ford Engineer wants a comparative sample at that mileage. Ford has told me they will not do further work on my truck unless I do as they request. The oil level is currently at the top of the twist and I have about 3000 more miles to drive before they will work on it again. For reference, HPFP has been replaced once, all 4 injectors have been replaced twice, fuel lines and rail replaced once. I have over 8000 miles, 8 times at the dealership, and over 7 months and counting for this issue. Truck has 20,000 miles on it, and during the first 10000 miles, the oil level never budged. 8 oil changes in the last 10000 miles.
Oil Sample.jpg

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I see a lot of people getting oil samples tested and fuel content in oil has been a concern so I thought it might be nice to collect info and summarize. The most common oil test facility used is Blackstone Labs but there are others. A goal of this poll is to see how widespread the problem is and what averages are.

If you have had your oil tested, and that test reports fuel content as a percentage, please add yourself to this poll.

Oil test results, % fuel in oil:
<0.5%
0.5-1.0%
1.0-2.0%
2.0-3.0%
3.0-5.0%
5.0-10.0%
>10%

I think those ranges might be a good span from great to horrible, and range from no problem to keep an eye on it next oil change to you better do something NOW.

I know some conditions matter. If you've got many miles of hard towing, you can expect higher fuel content. Or even you're just "turbo happy." So I've allowed this poll to be updated with a second test if needed. For example, after fuel system repairs, or after different running conditions, or even after more mileage has been put on your truck, breaking in the piston rings a little better.

Reference discussions:

Fuel in Oil - Big discussion thread. Please continue discussion there about problems, solutions, etc.

Fuel in Oil Poll - Less technical poll based on smell and oil level in crankcase. Sound off there if you have an issue but no test to back it up.

For this thread, please only participate if you have had your oil tested, and maybe just limit discussion to your results and specific notes from Blackstone. Big battles with corporate Ford and your dealer regarding fuel content are probably better in held in the big discussion thread, where much discussion is already ongoing.

If anyone is wondering, my fuel content is <0.5%. Also no antifreeze or water content. Same highish copper everyone has on a low mile engine. My viscosity was still a little on the low side after 5000 miles so I'm glad I changed the oil and didn't wait for the engine oil monitor to tell me when to change it. Looking at the results, a 10,000 mile oil change interval for me would have been too long because my oil was already breaking down. Might have been due to warm up idling in the winter, or just due to a happy right foot and turbo. I don't go easy on this truck.
This is a helpful poll. Thanks for creating it.

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Here's my test if anyone wants to see. My wife has the full megabucks version of Adobe and she redacted the personal information for me. :D

Good to see a US Lubricants test too. @MotoWojo interesting that your truck did ok at first then got worse. I will likely be sending a sample in with every oil change to keep an eye on it over time.

I had a couple Blackstone test bottles left from my motorcycle racing days when I tested often. I asked for more and I see they now come with prepaid shipping labels. Nice. Makes testing oil easy.

@Da Ranger it looks like your results show your 2nd test doing much better. Are you registering your 1st or 2nd results in this poll?

Attachments

Da Ranger

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Here's my test if anyone wants to see. My wife has the full megabucks version of Adobe and she redacted the personal information for me. :D

Good to see a US Lubricants test too. @MotoWojo interesting that your truck did ok at first then got worse. I will likely be sending a sample in with every oil change to keep an eye on it over time.

I had a couple Blackstone test bottles left from my motorcycle racing days when I tested often. I asked for more and I see they now come with prepaid shipping labels. Nice. Makes testing oil easy.

@Da Ranger it looks like your results show your 2nd test doing much better. Are you registering your 1st or 2nd results in this poll?
My second results since the first had a lot less fuel in it.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
None smelled or detected yet. Do we know what causes this on this motor? Why now when the motor has been around in other models prior to the Ranger release. My 2012 F150 had 6 years and 22k on it with the 3.5 EB and had zero issues and it had a few long heavy tows

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I've had 2 tests done by Blackstone, mostly due to curiosity after reading about the problem from you folks.
1st came back at 2.3% (2k miles on oil - changed oil)
2nd came back at <0.5% (2k miles on oil - changed oil)
I put the 2.3% in the poll.

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Oh the one on the left is the newer one. Good to know, thanks. Did not notice the dates. All the more reason for everyone to keep testing, even if the first results came out really good like mine did. Everyone keep the results in the poll updated.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I’m confused by your wording, Cindy. You mean that the fuel dilution got worse with the latest test (i.e. your second Blackstone test). Right?

Da Ranger

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I’m confused by your wording, Cindy. You mean that the fuel dilution got worse with the latest test (i.e. your second Blackstone test). Right?
Yes the first test was 1.8 and the second 6.8. I used the 6.8 in the poll.