anyone install the Tonneau hard folding cover

RobertU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2001 Ford Ranger XLT
Here is a picture from the inside and the outside with the rubber sealed held up so you can see the top of the bulkhead, rail, and weather strip. This is on the Undercover Flex. The rail mounts just like @MRAces said his Bakflip MX4 mounted. Undercover and Bakflip are both made by Truck Hero so they probably use a lot of the same parts like Chevy and GMC do on there trucks.
20190422_171508.jpg
20190422_171617.jpg

I appreciate the responses from all of you. It will certainly make it a lot easier for me to do the install.
those drip lines go right through one of the exposed holes on side of the bed? I'm going to do the same thing.
Sponsored

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
I appreciate the responses from all of you. It will certainly make it a lot easier for me to do the install.
those drip lines go right through one of the exposed holes on side of the bed? I'm going to do the same thing.
The installation instructions dont say how to run them out of the bed. But the holes on the side near the front are the perfect size and height for the drain tubes. Just have to cut off the excess length. They were way to long.

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s a picture

69DD6987-8F51-4CF5-A46D-034D4CFFDCE7.jpeg

E3B79684-BFE4-45F7-93EE-BC523823FDCA.jpeg
In your picture it doesn't look like your rear clamp is on good. May just be the picture but it looks like the clamp is at an angle like the backside isn't up all the way.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The installation instructions dont say how to run them out of the bed. But the holes on the side near the front are the perfect size and height for the drain tubes. Just have to cut off the excess length. They were way to long.
FX4Greg do you have a picture of where you installed the drain tubes?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
The lower of the two factory holes near the front top on each side.
20190422_193414.jpg
That looks perfect. Waiting for truck to arrive. MX4 ordered.

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
In your picture it doesn't look like your rear clamp is on good. May just be the picture but it looks like the clamp is at an angle like the backside isn't up all the way.
Thanks for pointing that out, I will look at it tomorrow

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
For the new backflip Ford model part number is VKB3Z-99501A42-G

Can anyone please confirm if this is the new MX4?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
For the new backflip Ford model part number is VKB3Z-99501A42-G

Can anyone please confirm if this is the new MX4?
The description says hard rolling, not hard folding. Not sure why you think they're changing the cover.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Oh my, you are correct and that is likely why the dealership is having a issue. I didn't read that close enough. The G is the rolling, not what I want, so thank you!

When I go to accessories.ford.com and search for the cover I ordered with my truck, hard folding for 5' bed, the part is VKB3Z-99501A42-C. However, it has been discontinued. When you click on the item, it says it's no longer available.

If you go to this link, you see this
https://accessories.ford.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=VKB3Z-99501A42-C

upload_2019-4-24_12-0-3.png

And then when you click on it, you get this:

upload_2019-4-24_12-0-40.png

So as of right now, there isn't a working link for the hard folding cover for 5' bed. I need the Ford part number for the replacement model. Maybe somebody with the 5' bed that ordered with your truck and received it in the past week or so, you likely have the new model. Please share the Ford part number if that is the case. :)

I'm also trying to call them, but they don't make it easy by hiding the customer service phone number :(

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Or if anyone has the MX4 (for 5'bed) with a Ford part number on it - please share. I'm not getting any where with Ford customer service, geez....

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or if anyone has the MX4 (for 5'bed) with a Ford part number on it - please share. I'm not getting any where with Ford customer service, geez....
I would just have the dealer refund what you were charged for the cover and buy an aftermarket one so you can get exactly what you want. You can probably get a better cover for a lower price.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The dealer agreed to refund so I'll be looking at the aftermarket options. UnderCover just released a new model, Armor Flex that looks good. Has anyone purchased that one and can offer feedback?

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/undercover-armor-flex-tonneau-cover

This may not work for me, as I have the Ford drop in bed liner. I opened a Chat with Autoanything,and the guy said this cover will not work with a drop in bed liner, unless you cut the top of the bed liner off all the way around it. Huh?? I have the Ford drop in that I ordered with my truck so I need to confirm if the UnderCover ones will work.

More research needed before deciding which one to buy....

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer agreed to refund so I'll be looking at the aftermarket options. UnderCover just released a new model, Armor Flex that looks good. Has anyone purchased that one and can offer feedback?

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/undercover-armor-flex-tonneau-cover

This may not work for me, as I have the Ford drop in bed liner. I opened a Chat with Autoanything,and the guy said this cover will not work with a drop in bed liner, unless you cut the top of the bed liner off all the way around it. Huh?? I have the Ford drop in that I ordered with my truck so I need to confirm if the UnderCover ones will work.

More research needed before deciding which one to buy....
You don't have to cut it all the way around. But you do have to cut the liner at the front of the bed on each side so the rails can slide all the way forward. That's not just the Undercover but all of the covers that have the rails that clamp onto the side.

On a side note, BAK is offering a $100 mail in rebate on the BAKFLIP MX4 thru 5/13/19 https://bakindustries.com/special-offers

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
can you please confirm which bed you have? I have the short bed 5'. The reason I ask is because the instructions for the cover I'm returning to the dealer say that if you have the 6' bed, you need to cut the notches as you described. However with 5' bed, no cutting required.

I'm also taking a close look at the UnderCover Elite LX Tonneau cover. The bad news is that it cost $1500, and I haven't found any sales or deals to bring down the price. I really like the look and it has a much better seal for water protection..

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/undercover-elite-lx-tonneau

The one question I have is, can the tailgate open and close without having to open the cover?

Here is a pic of it, but I would like to see a pic of this installed on a 2019 Ranger, and get feedback from anyone who has this cover.

upload_2019-5-2_7-45-15.png
Sponsored