The BEST Hard-Folding Tonneau

Best Hard Folding Tonneau? (If you choose anything other than LEER HF350M, post why)

• Total voters

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
My Choice: The LEER HF350M

Read up on my full thread here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/leer-hf350m-my-tonneau-journey.4470/

I am SOOOO glad I chose this option over the tons of other choices.

I want to hear back why (Insert your choice here) has the upper hand ...

I just can't find any faults with my Leer at this time.

This is a legitimate thread, where I want to hear from other owners of other products and an explanation of what features those have that the LEER fails to provide.

Thank you for taking this seriously and having a cordial discussion.
Sponsored

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I recommend the Hillbilly 1000 BS from Redneck Industries. I got mine at “Bubba’s Beer, Bait, Tackle and Tonneau Covers” of SE Arkansas. :rockon:

upload_2019-10-7_11-35-39.jpeg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I chose the Extang due to the fact it is easily removable without tools and it doesn't have any rails. I can remove mine in about 2 minutes and have 100% full access to the bed.

Even though it is taller (not a flush look), I like that because it is a pretty rigid cover.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Ive wrote about this before but I also chose the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 for a few reasons. Wanted a solid folding cover, no rail installation and quickly/easily removed. It fit the feature I personally wanted the best, so I deemed it the right choice for me. But that doesnt make it the right choice for everyone. Just depends on what you are looking for in a cover.

OP
OP
SN13

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I recommend the Hillbilly 1000 BS from Redneck Industries. I got mine at “Bubba’s Beer, Bait, Tackle and Tonneau Covers” of SE Arkansas. :rockon:

upload_2019-10-7_11-35-39.jpeg
I appreciate your vote, but this is a folding Tonneau conversation. Gotta split that one up to join in. :)

OP
OP
SN13

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
there's no such thing as "best", there are just different sets of compromises
I would agree that every item requires some compromises. My question is more "Which compromises make your decision the best for you?"

That's why I asked everyone to tell me why they chose their option.

:)

OP
OP
SN13

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I chose the Extang due to the fact it is easily removable without tools and it doesn't have any rails. I can remove mine in about 2 minutes and have 100% full access to the bed.

Even though it is taller (not a flush look), I like that because it is a pretty rigid cover.
Good Post. While the LEER can be removed without tools in about the same time (Two, hand turned knobs). the Rails cannot be removed that quickly, for sure. And I wouldn't want to remove them.... Glad they only take up 1/2" on either side of the bed. (measured)

20190927_194844.jpg

OP
OP
SN13

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ive wrote about this before but I also chose the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 for a few reasons. Wanted a solid folding cover, no rail installation and quickly/easily removed. It fit the feature I personally wanted the best, so I deemed it the right choice for me. But that doesnt make it the right choice for everyone. Just depends on what you are looking for in a cover.
Absolutely. I looked really hard at the Solid Fold. Didn't mind it sat on top of the bed, and actually from my research found that it seemed to provide more water resistance than flush options.

Thank you for your input!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I would agree that every item requires some compromises. My question is more "Which compromises make your decision the best for you?"
I got the OEM G2 because it was the only option available for my 6' bed, could come with the truck when I ordered, and because I liked the flush look. If the MX4 were available (I'm not sure it is even now for the scab) I probably would have gone that way.

Also, honestly, some of the marketing for the leer is ridiculous. Failure prone wire? Really?

OP
OP
SN13

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got the OEM G2 because it was the only option available for my 6' bed, could come with the truck when I ordered, and because I liked the flush look. If the MX4 were available (I'm not sure it is even now for the scab) I probably would have gone that way.

Also, honestly, some of the marketing for the leer is ridiculous. Failure prone wire? Really?
I want to address the "Failure Prone Wire" comment.

Does the wire work? Yes. Can it be improved? Also Yes.

The only two Folding covers I can recall that addressed the standard wire are the Xtang Xceed (Has a knob) and the LEER (Pinch).

Both resist the "wire clothes hanger" thief-release.

I went into a local truck supplier and they had a Ton of Tonneau options and samples.... ALL of the folding ones had the old wire system. At the time I was looking at the BAK MX4. Of the samples, two were broken (Wires either pulled out of the spring clip, or the wires had so much slack that you reached a point where the angle of the wire at your hand was so dramatic that you couldn't move the end clips far enough to disengage.)

I say to the guy "looks like your customers broke the samples" and he says "I have the MX4 on my truck, and I love it, highly recommend, but if you are not careful, you can rip the wire right out, so don't over do it."

This was a guy trying to sell me an MX4, as I had come in specifically to look at that and the Solid Fold, plus mabye some Rollup options, and at the time had no idea that the Xceed or LEER existed (And he had neither)....

Point being, there ARE issues with the old wire systems that could be improved. I don't think it's a secret.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Well, I wouldn't trust any of these things to keep stuff secure if someone was trying to steal it, so possible theft resistance is a non-factor for me. In real life I haven't seen wires being an issue. That said I'm curious what the leer has underneath: a wire (oh the irony) or a sliding rod which would be much more prone to corrosion and other "stickiness". I guess they could have come up with something really novel, but it seems like they just added another fiddly bit that can go wrong.

OP
OP
SN13

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I wouldn't trust any of these things to keep stuff secure if someone was trying to steal it, so possible theft resistance is a non-factor for me. In real life I haven't seen wires being an issue. That said I'm curious what the leer has underneath: a wire (oh the irony) or a sliding rod which would be much more prone to corrosion and other "stickiness". I guess they could have come up with something really novel, but it seems like they just added another fiddly bit that can go wrong.
It's a wire but it's recessed. Hard to explain the forces... but the force required in-line is way less than required at a steep angle from the plane of resistance (spring)

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I won't have my 2020 Ranger until next Spring but I have been looking closely at the Agri-cover Lomax. It was positive reviews/comments from this forum that motivated me to look at it.