Aftermarket or Ford hard folding tonneau cover availability?

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
We started by watching a YouTube installation video to get a general idea of what we were in for. They made it look easy and edited out most of the minutiae you'll deal with, like how long it takes to take a friggin sticker backing off, lol. Unpack everything and lay out the hardware on the tailgate in instructional order. Set aside the cover and try not to put anything on it. It dents and scratches easy. Bulkhead installation is pretty straightforward, and I'd say get a good grip on the bolts and washers as you place them in between the bed and the cab, it's a squeeze but it will fit. Don't drop them.
The rails go next and the clamps that go with them we're the biggest pain. Loosen them all ahead of time and disregard the instructions as far as the order they want you to put them on. Start with the middle clamp because it acts as a fulcrum in order to install the other two clamps on each side. Make sure the grooves of the clamps are biting into the rails. They get jumpy on the back side of the rail and will pop off occasionally. Be patient with this. As you ratchet in, press down on the plastic bed rail of your truck or get an extra hand to do this. Really important for weather sealing. Pay attention to level and you'll see the silver plate toward the cab drop down a little bit but that's okay because when you bolt that in, it lifts up. When finished, drop the cover on, do some other straightforward steps and just make sure to line it all up and push the whole thing towards the cab. You want all the white plastic jambs underneath fully clicked into the rails. Not over, not under, not short. Everything else was fairly easy. It takes a good amount of pressure to drill into those plastic drain holes. Don't close the tailgate with the last section of the cover down.

I reviewed the shim instructions again and again. They shipped em with the box but the 2019 model is not listed on the sheet as to whether you need them or not. I was going to give Bakflip a call to double check this.

Backflip MX4 looks very similar to my Gator FX. The shims provided were a dense rubber that I stuff up in between the plastic and the bed for the middle clamp. In the end it installed straight and seems solid enough... I also had a lot of trouble with the clamps and I think I need to replace two of them because the grooves got pretty worn out with many torques and readjustments.

20191224_152616.jpg

20191224_152603 - Copy.jpg
Sponsored

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
On the Agi-Cover website, there is a short video detailing the seal installation for the 2019-ON Ranger at the forward bulkhead. The corner seals nest in place and I don't see how they could be installed on the cover. The center seal segment nests up to the corner seals to make a tight seal. You might be able to install this center seal on the cover. I have a spray on bedliner and it would seem to be that removing/installing the cover would damage the seal over time.

I plan to leave the cover installed. There are some claims that the cover can improve MPG on highway driving. I'm not counting on that to happen......

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After you install it give me your thoughts about installing the bulkhead seal to the cover itself as opposed to attaching it to the Ranger bulkhead. I’m wondering if that would work because I plan on removing the Lomax from my Ranger most of the time and installing it only when we go camping.
Received my Lomax cover yesterday. The cover was packaged in a cardboard box and arrived without damage. Agri-Cover does an excellent job with their packaging for shipment. I ordered the cover direct from Agri-Cover and it was shipped out promptly with a notification by email of the FedEx tracking information.

To answer your question regarding installing the seal on the cover in lieu of the forward bulkhead, it would not be possible since the cover already has a seal on the front segment of the cover that mates with the seal on the bulkhead.

I am very impressed with the quality of the cover. All needed seals, clamps, etc were in the box along with directions. Agri-Cover also has videos on their website for installation instructions. Removal and weight of the cover is easy for one person to manage.

Installation took me about 2 hours. The biggest headache is dealing with the shims and clamps for the rail installation. I am somewhat OCD when it comes to this type of work so I spent the time to ensure everything was just right. In summary, the cover is excellent quality and pleased that I chose the Lomax for my SuperCab Ranger.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
To answer your question regarding installing the seal on the cover in lieu of the forward bulkhead, it would not be possible since the cover already has a seal on the front segment of the cover that mates with the seal on the bulkhead.
Thanks for the detailed feedback on the Lomax and answering my question. I did not realize the cover itself has a seal on the front segment. What is your opinion on the appearance when the cover is removed? Will it look goofy with the seals on the bulkhead?

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the detailed feedback on the Lomax and answering my question. I did not realize the cover itself has a seal on the front segment. What is your opinion on the appearance when the cover is removed? Will it look goofy with the seals on the bulkhead?
Here's a photo of the seal with the cover moved back. With a black spray in liner, I don't think it is that noticeable even with a white truck.
IMG_2955.jpg
IMG_2957.jpg
IMG_2956.jpg

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Here's a photo of the seal with the cover moved back. With a black spray in liner, I don't think it is that noticeable even with a white truck.
IMG_2955.jpg
IMG_2957.jpg
IMG_2956.jpg
Thanks! That is exactly what I was wanting to see. Your Lomax is a great looking cover. My Ranger on order will also be white.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
I got fed up with the ford version of the bakflip hard cover. The fit is terrible and you have to lift the back section to close the gate.

I just ordered the undercover flex ultra. Had one on my colorado and loved it. Not sure what I will go through for the front. The dealer installed a rail to close the gap up front.

I am sure there are a lot of good covers. No matter what, I would recommend getting a cover where you can close the gate without opening the last section of the cover.

I got the original cover in may so possible someone fixed the bad fit as well. Biggest challenge is getting the cover to tamper proof. The bakflip I can pull of it to get it to release on one side and open it without opening the gate.

Sharing as I want to ensure others can learn from my mistake.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Any insider information on who and when availability will be of a hard folding tonneau cover for the new domestic Ranger?

I understand it is available for the international model, and have been told there is a difference in the tailgate profile between the two.
I bought a Gator EFX hard folding tonneau cover from Real Truck. $649. I'm happy. It fits well, appears to be watertight. "Locking*", with the tail gate locked. Comes off with four hand knobs. I had to hold my mouth correctly during bed rail installation, but it's solid.

* It uses nylon locks to lock down the panels, so someone could break in w/o much trouble. I may see if I can fab up aluminum locks for the rear panel. Still won't be break in proof, but they'll have to work harder at it.

https://realtruck.com/p/gator-efx-hard-fold-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2019/

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
I got fed up with the ford version of the bakflip hard cover. The fit is terrible and you have to lift the back section to close the gate.

I just ordered the undercover flex ultra. Had one on my colorado and loved it. Not sure what I will go through for the front. The dealer installed a rail to close the gap up front.

I am sure there are a lot of good covers. No matter what, I would recommend getting a cover where you can close the gate without opening the last section of the cover.

I got the original cover in may so possible someone fixed the bad fit as well. Biggest challenge is getting the cover to tamper proof. The bakflip I can pull of it to get it to release on one side and open it without opening the gate.

Not sure if your aware of it, But the Bakflip and Undercover are both made by the same company Truck Hero.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Not sure if your aware of it, But the Bakflip and Undercover are both made by the same company Truck Hero.
That became clear to me as I installed the new cover. So it is more a conviction of the ford version being less than good. What I like about the. We one is that it has brackets to ensure a tight fit for the rails. It has better seals on the top. Fit is great. And I can close the tailgate without opening the cover.

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
Quality Assurance

Wish I read this before I bought my truck. Ford one is on order. First was damaged by UPS usually pound and smash. I’m committed already on purchase but will make do.
Sponsored