anyone install the Tonneau hard folding cover

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I ordered my truck with the Tonneau bed cover, hard folding. The cover didn't show up with the truck so I have to bring it back to have them install it. It looks super easy to install so I was considering just picking up the cover from the dealership and install myself. The kids t hey have doing these types of installs don't impress me and I think I can do a better job.

Anyone else install the hard folding cover themselves?

Also, this cover locks. I'm curious if it will some how connect to my truck so the locks are controlled with the fob. Or, do I have to break out a key to lock and unlock? I sure hope is controlled by the fob.
Sponsored

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Check this thread for install tips. I installed mine. If you get it all right the first time then it takes 30 minutes. Took me 90! Not hard, just a little annoying. It's the sort of thing you will want to understand to tweak it in the future so I'd install it myself. Watch the youtube video from BakFlip mentioned in the other thread. A big help was using the locking wrench like they show.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So the brand is BakFlip? Not much info on the window sticker. I just remember telling the dealer I wanted the hard folding bed cover that locks. Is this the MX4 you mentioned?

Does your lock?

upload_2019-4-11_7-43-22.png

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I have the hard folding cover which I installed, and it does not lock by itself. It only locks because you have to open the tailgate to reach the latch release cable, so if your tailgate is locked, then the cover is locked. It does not have its own lock. So saying that it "locks" is a stretch by Ford. I agree with djrobb that if all goes well, it is a fairly quick install, but otherwise it can take some time fidgeting with it to get it right. I totally removed mine and reinstalled to get it right. The instructions are not very good and totally ignore one of the gaskets that comes with it, and misrepresents the shape of some optional shims that come with it. There is a pdf of the install instructions here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-accessories-owner-install-manuals.2411/

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
So the brand is BakFlip? Not much info on the window sticker. I just remember telling the dealer I wanted the hard folding bed cover that locks. Is this the MX4 you mentioned?

Does your lock?

There are several companies that make the tri fold hard Tonneau covers. I ordered the UnderCover Flex for my Ranger. If you look at your window sticker it says Dealer installed on the line for the cover. That's because they dont come with the cover from the factory. It's something the dealer installs.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase

Does your lock?

Even if the factory hard folding tonneau cover might be made by Bakflip, it will more than likely be the G2 model and not the MX4. The MX4 has this trailing edge with the rubber seal made to allow opening and closing the tailgate with the cover closed.

BakflipMX4Edge.jpg

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
@ DHare - Thank you! My trucks has the Ford drop in bed liner. Looking at the instructions, it looks like I can leave the drop in bed liner in place for this installation. Did you leave yours installed, or did you just remove the bed liner and then put it back after you drill the two holes?

Thanks for sharing the instruction manual!

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
@ DHare - Thank you! My trucks has the Ford drop in bed liner. Looking at the instructions, it looks like I can leave the drop in bed liner in place for this installation. Did you leave yours installed, or did you just remove the bed liner and then put it back after you drill the two holes?

If you pick it up and install it yourself the dealer owes you a partial refund for labor. The price on the window sticker included dealer installation.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase

Does your lock?

I think we determined the Ford one is the BakFlip G2.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Sorry, I have the spray-in liner, so can't help you with that question.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If you pick it up and install it yourself the dealer owes you a partial refund for labor. The price on the window sticker included dealer installation.
PonyXpress, My dealer sold me the cover for $860 with me doing the installation, so you should ask your dealer for a discount.

Ed Anderson

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, Lariat

On the BakFlip site it says you might have to cut a notch in the bedliner to make the rails fit. You can watch the installation videos here: https://bakflip.com/p/bakflip-g2-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2019/

BTW, BakFlip sells the G2 from their website for $920. The MX4 model is $999 - pretty much the same cost you can get it from the dealer (installed). Moral of the story - upgrade to the MX4 model install it yourself!

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I ended up letting the dealer install the cover. It took them 3 hours and I had to adjust it when I got home to align everything. Not a great experience, but it's done and installed. I do like how flat it sits over the bed.

I'm not sure which model I have, as mine has a Ford part number on it.

upload_2019-4-17_8-53-18.png

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up letting the dealer install the cover. It took them 3 hours and I had to adjust it when I got home to align everything. Not a great experience, but it's done and installed. I do like how flat it sits over the bed.

I'm not sure which model I have, as mine has a Ford part number on it.

upload_2019-4-17_8-53-18.png
Looks great! Just remember with that cover to close the tailgate first before closing the back panel to keep that trailing rubber seal from getting banged up. ;)

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks, Yes, I did read that As others have already reported, when its in the folded position with the straps connected, it can bounce up against the back window / third brake light, which isn't good. They provided some small bumpers so those hit the brake light, but kind of lame design.
Sponsored