Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
If your going to change your own oil, do yourself a favor and get yours
Elf A drain valve. Valvomax or Fumato, and never worry about stripping the drain plug again. A lot less messy too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Deathrider

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
If your going to change your own oil, do yourself a favor and get yours
Elf A drain valve. Valvomax or Fumato, and never worry about stripping the drain plug again. A lot less messy too.
I might go that route!

OP
OP
Deathrider

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Did I misread your original post? Fuel in your oil!?
Keep us posted on your thoughts on the Amsoil. Smoother running, better fuel economy etc.
Since that is a common problem and i always have had a fuel smell, I thought maybe some of it is fuel but it would be hard to say since I suspect they put too much oil in there in the first place.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
No, I put the same one back on I did not want to wait, I didn't trust what the dealer was putting in there, im ordering a new one to have ready for the next oil change.
Worth noting.... the torque on the drain bolt is only supposed to be 20 ft-lbs.

Oil Pan Drain Bolt Torque Spec.jpg

============================================================

I’ve only had dealer oil changes for at least the past 35 years. Not one issue. Anything can happen, but if the dealer screws it up it’s their problem, if I screw it up it’s mine. Plus I don’t have to crawl under my truck every 5k miles :wink:
In this case.. would you even know they rounded the head off the bolt... since you don't do your on maintenance? It could be totally fubar... you'd never know, right?

OP
OP
Deathrider

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4

Oil Pan Drain Bolt Torque Spec.jpg

In this case.. would you even know they rounded the head off the bolt... since you don't do your on maintenance? It could be totally fubar... you'd never know, right?

Or does one even know if they change the old oil filter?
It would be easy to just skip that part, especially on the Ranger

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer
No one, and I mean no one, will ever treat your vehicle they way you will. When you perform your own maintenance, you know it’s done right. The dealerships can keep those free oil changes. Now days, dealerships aren’t making big money on vehicle sales. People will shop around and internet pricing can do away with most haggling. They are making money on service. Service plans is how they get you in, then the next thing you know, they will try to sell you all kinds of extras or “recommend” tasks at $100/hr.
That would be a bargain around here.....I took this photo at my dealership last week.?

20210525_082236.jpg

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I’ve only had dealer oil changes for at least the past 35 years. Not one issue. Anything can happen, but if the dealer screws it up it’s their problem, if I screw it up it’s mine. Plus I don’t have to crawl under my truck every 5k miles :wink:
OK, I'm new here, so what the heck is a 'Damper'? something to make your truck wet? I know what a 'Dampener' is, or is this an inside joke, kind of like A roll of flightline, or a muffler bearing wrench, or a can of free travel?

Mcssls

Yes, it always has but I never really saw a rise on my dip stick, it was always at the top hole, now the level is at the end of the hash mark

I don't know if its normal but the dealer always charged me for 7 full quarts also the label they put on my windshield said 5w20, I confronted them about the windshield label and they said they put 5w30 but their machine only prints 5w20 all the time.
yes it’s normal. The ranger takes 6.2 quarts but they’ll charge for whole quarts only even though they pump it from a bulk barrel

Reactions: Doc

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
OK, I'm new here, so what the heck is a 'Damper'? something to make your truck wet? I know what a 'Dampener' is, or is this an inside joke, kind of like A roll of flightline, or a muffler bearing wrench, or a can of free travel?
It's a running joke on this site, ad nauseum, and referes to an aftermarket tailgate damper.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Why would you need that?
Exactly.

There are exceptions, but it's mostly for guys that can only use one hand, because they are holding their purse with the other one. ?

Last edited:

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
but the oil pan bolt was already stripped and the oil filter cover clips were broke
Dealerships and oil change places often strip the oil pan bolt. Because the oil pan on newer cars are often made of aluminum, the manufacturers size the head just a little bit smaller than spec. The intention is that the bolt's head strips before the aluminum thread does. If the mechanic uses a 12-point socket, then there is a high likelyhood of stripping the head on the bolt.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Dave, oh Dave... You're needed here.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Just a pet peeve of mine, but was it stripped, rounded, or crossthreaded?

Although the terms are interchangeable to many there is a difference.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I'm the polar opposite. I have done my own oil changes the past 35 years, so I know it's done right. I finally broke that rule and let the dealer do my 1st oil change. 5k later when I went to change it, I found the drain bolt was not even FINGER TIGHT!! Thank heavens nothing leaked, that could have been catastrophic. And I will continue doing my own oil changes from now on, thank you very much.
Sponsored