Does doing your own oil change void warranty?

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab

I've not purchased a new vehicle before; for my new 2021, should I always go somewhere where I can prove that an oil change happened? Dealership or other shop.

Or, is it enough to change the oil and just make note of it?
It seems there might be some concern from Ford, that a personal oil change wasn't done right, which might void warranty.

( I know some people are seeing fuel-in-oil issues, and there may be advantages to spending hours at the dealer for them to do it / see this effect. )
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
You can change your own oil just make sure you use the recommended grade and keep your receipts with the mileage on them. I've been buying my oil and filters from rock auto. I print out my receipt, write the mileage on it and put it in a binder. Rock Auto also list the vehicle on the receipt. Ford will only ask for them if there's an engine problem they think was caused by lack of maintenance.

reciept.png

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Keep record of date/ mileage when done, keep receipt where you purchased correct oil/filter, do it yourself and don't worry about it.
Hi Paul,

You are spot on to keep a record of your own oil changes. I have had enough Ford vehicles in my career that were not company vehicles and all I did was to keep a record of the mileage and date and what was changed. Always change the oil and the filter. There was a time when Ford was change the filter at 3000 miles and the filter at every 6000 miles as I remember back in the early 70s....I always changed the filter...cheap FL1. I am not 71 years old and many vehicles later, I have never had the oil changed by anyone else. I do all my own oil changes. Just record the data. I do not carry receipts for the parts. Just record in the owners manual. It is up to the company to dispute this. Oil changes at specifically 75000, 15,000 are suspect. Oil changes at odo 75, 214 are not so suspect. You are entitled to change your own oil. Forcing you to use a Ford dealer or other firm is not grounds for warranty denial.

The day I am not able to change my own oil or do other maintenance is likely coming due to my age... It is then I will take it to the Ford dealer...I will avoid aftermarket oil change places. Although my local Ford dealer's Quick Oil Change lane is a joke...nothing quick about it from what I hear from my neighbors that used one of my X plans to buy their Ford Escape.... 2hrs???? Ouick?? Not!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I've been doing my oil changes since the dinosaurs died and when my 2009 Hemi Ram developed an upper engine noise later to be determined to be a flattened cam lobe I was asked if I had my service records and pulled out my 3-ring binder and they made copies. Not one question after that, had entire top half of engine rebuilt for $100 deductible at the stealership. approx. value $3800.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Thanks all -- this was valuable advice :)
Especially hearing that Ford cannot reject warranty if correct (though personal) maintenance was done.

I'll do the changes myself then, and keep accurate documentation of all details.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Thanks all -- this was valuable advice :)
Especially hearing that Ford cannot reject warranty if correct (though personal) maintenance was done.

I'll do the changes myself then, and keep accurate documentation of all details.
Don't forget you will have your ford pass points to use :like:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I've not purchased a new vehicle before; for my new 2021, should I always go somewhere where I can prove that an oil change happened? Dealership or other shop.

It seems there might be some concern from Ford, that a personal oil change wasn't done right, which might void warranty.

( I know some people are seeing fuel-in-oil issues, and there may be advantages to spending hours at the dealer for them to do it / see this effect. )
If you download the FordPass app you can store all your service records there too. Just go to vehicle at the bottom, scroll to service history and input your info there.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Thanks:) I didn't know that. I won't be using FordPass for privacy reasons, but I appreciate the idea.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
Thanks:) I didn't know that. I won't be using FordPass for privacy reasons, but I appreciate the idea.
so many "apps" do that anyway & by using the app it sure makes keeping records a whole lot easier

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
so many "apps" do that anyway & by using the app it sure makes keeping records a whole lot easier
Yes; and I avoid using those that do.
I prefer my vehicle do not store/transmit everything on my phone, driving, radio habits, etc to Ford. It's none of their business :p
To me, a slight convenience and loss of features (not using FordPass) is a worthwhile tradeoff for privacy.

My perfect new vehicle would be the ~1997+ Ranger but with much higher safety. I prefer smaller chassis/longer bed, minimal tech, high reliability, manual everything, etc. I will be plenty happy with a 2021 that does not use FordPass :D
(Getting higher safety is the only reason i'm moving away from my ultra-reliable 1997, after 250k miles.)

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
How about the dealerships that offer a lifetime powertrain warranty (and seals and gaskets). My dealership offers this warranty. I asked about performing my own oil changes and they said in order to keep the lifetime warranty intact, I would have to show proof that the oil/filter was changed by the dealership or a certified service center. I know the dealership looks for even the slightest "violation" of the service records (e.g. changing the oil/filter 200 miles after the actual recommended service interval). I prefer to do my own oil changes because I take my time, allow all the oil to drain, clean up, etc. and cringe sometimes when I watch someone else take shortcuts just to save time.

CashSeeAO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-retired engineer
How about the dealerships that offer a lifetime powertrain warranty (and seals and gaskets). My dealership offers this warranty. I asked about performing my own oil changes and they said in order to keep the lifetime warranty intact, I would have to show proof that the oil/filter was changed by the dealership or a certified service center. I know the dealership looks for even the slightest "violation" of the service records (e.g. changing the oil/filter 200 miles after the actual recommended service interval). I prefer to do my own oil changes because I take my time, allow all the oil to drain, clean up, etc. and cringe sometimes when I watch someone else take shortcuts just to save time.
Confirm what they said by looking at the fine prints in your power train warranty documents. I suspect that they don’t state what the dealer is claiming.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical

no -- you can even use the my ford app to record it, they let you take pictures of he receipts for oil and filter to add to the record. they make it pretty easy to record. you should save receipts for oil and filter as a record the app makes that very easy.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Keep record of date/ mileage when done, keep receipt where you purchased correct oil/filter, do it yourself and don't worry about it.
just FYI for anyone - the ford app has a place to record service you do, saves the mileage and you add the date...... it also lets you take a picture of the receipt for parts. The way I understand it as long as you have a record of what you did, when and at what miles you did it and can show proof that you purchased and used the correct parts - it does not void your warranty.
Sponsored