Did my own oil change with an unexpected find

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Just did my own oil change after taking to the dealer for oil changes the past 3 times, the process was easier than expected but the oil pan bolt was already stripped and the oil filter cover clips were broke, never again will I bring it to the dealer, I also removed 7 quarts of oil!
Im not sure how much of that is fuel but i doubt it was a full quart, I switched to Amsoil with 6.1 quarts, I will change at 5k and see how many quarts I pull out then.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deerhunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Ops
No one, and I mean no one, will ever treat your vehicle they way you will. When you perform your own maintenance, you know it’s done right. The dealerships can keep those free oil changes. Now days, dealerships aren’t making big money on vehicle sales. People will shop around and internet pricing can do away with most haggling. They are making money on service. Service plans is how they get you in, then the next thing you know, they will try to sell you all kinds of extras or “recommend” tasks at $100/hr.
Just did my own oil change after taking to the dealer for oil changes the past 3 times, the process was easier than expected but the oil pan nut was already stripped and the oil filter cover clips were broke, never again will I bring it to the dealer, I also removed 7 quarts of oil!
Im not sure how much of that is fuel but i doubt it was a full quart, I switched to Amsoil with 6.1 quarts, I will change at 5k and see how many quarts I pull out then.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Just did my own oil change after taking to the dealer for oil changes the past 3 times, the process was easier than expected but the oil pan nut was already stripped and the oil filter cover clips were broke, never again will I bring it to the dealer, I also removed 7 quarts of oil!
Yep... dealerships put the guy with the least experience on the grease rack...

The oil drain is a bolt, that has a seal on it, that runs into a tapped hole in pan. Are those internally taped holes ok?

OP
OP
Deathrider

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Yep... dealerships put the guy with the least experience on the grease rack...

The oil drain is a bolt. Are the threads in the tapped hole in pan ok?
Yes it's a bolt, I edited my post, everything looks good, no leaks ect.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
OP
OP
Deathrider

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
7 quarts could be fuel contamination. Did it smell like gas?
Yes, it always has but I never really saw a rise on my dip stick, it was always at the top hole, now the level is at the end of the hash mark

I don't know if its normal but the dealer always charged me for 7 full quarts also the label they put on my windshield said 5w20, I confronted them about the windshield label and they said they put 5w30 but their machine only prints 5w20 all the time.

OP
OP
Deathrider

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
So you bought a new drain bolt?
No, I put the same one back on I did not want to wait, I didn't trust what the dealer was putting in there, im ordering a new one to have ready for the next oil change.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I’ve only had dealer oil changes for at least the past 35 years. Not one issue. Anything can happen, but if the dealer screws it up it’s their problem, if I screw it up it’s mine. Plus I don’t have to crawl under my truck every 5k miles :wink:

OP
OP
Deathrider

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I’ve only had dealer oil changes for at least the past 35 years. Not one issue. Anything can happen, but if the dealer screws it up it’s their problem, if I screw it up it’s mine. Plus I don’t have to crawl under my truck every 5k miles :wink:
Im ok going under, it's easy since I put on larger tires and the Fox 2.0 leveling kit.
I also like to use Amsoil on all my vehicles.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I’ve only had dealer oil changes for at least the past 35 years. Not one issue that i noticed. Anything can happen, but if the dealer screws it up it’s my problem, if I screw it up it’s mine.
fixed that for you.. not like they would ever admit fault