First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
I take mine to the dealer I bought it from. They have been really great to deal with and have taken care of me. I do the full synthetic "package" which comes out to about $80. While I have a warranty I have all my service done with them. Yea I know, bit for me it's peace of mind.
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I like to ensure the brake, battery (although all the batteries are now AGM and sealed), windshield, and coolant levels are good. I check the air and cabin filters. I take the opportunity to take a good look at things under the hood and under the vehicle.

I have all the tools and space in my garage. The radio plays good tunes (there is even a TV in the garage), and the garage refrigerator keeps the beer cold for after the clean up.

yes that. plus nobody treats your stuff like they own it

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
For oil changes besides for those who diy. Do you take yours to the dealer or another place? My wife does her mustang at the dealer because it's free but this last time, whoever parked the car left it in drive and turned it off and its an automatic. So I'm skeptical of ford service now.
I haven't done my own oil changes in many, many years. My favorite oil change franchise was Valvoline, the one I used was very professional. When I bought my 2012 Edge, the dealer offered free oil changes for something like a year, and while they weren't as efficient as Valvoline, it was free. I just continued to use them for subsequent vehicles. They now have a new stand alone Quick Lane facility and it's easy in and easy out - although still not as quick as Valvoline was.

vanapagan

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vanapagan.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Cloud Computing Engineer
This will probably be the first vehicle that I will consistently take to the dealer for oil changes.

I am generally a "Do it Yourself" guy. I even have the Ford OEM filters and oil just in case I am in a pinch and need to do it myself.

My reasoning for taking this vehicle to the dealer are, as said by several posters, is that this engine was not originally designed for this truck and the convoluted steps of removing flaps, the mess of the drain catches, etc. is one reason. Second, I am still not comfortable with the turbo as I have only owned naturally aspirated engines before.

Having the dealer do the regular maintenance, they are on the hook if they don't spot something and it becomes a warranty issue (or just out of warranty).

I also recently obtained the Ford credit card too. So I am racking up points just on reimbursed business expenses that are enough to cover the dealer oil changes.

One thing I will recommend to do is to mark your filters before the change. My brother took his Honda Civic in for an oil change and when he got it back the car still had the same filter on it! Seems like someone was taking a few shortcuts. He now has free oil changes for the life of the car at that dealer.

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
I've got an appointment at my local Ford dealer for this Friday. I'll pay $50 and they'll change oil, check alignment, and rotate the tires. I'll probably also have them change the transmission fluid. These guys give my pickup TLC and have won my trust.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
home so far but planning to take it in for the next one - may as well use those points before they expire.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
For oil changes besides for those who diy. Do you take yours to the dealer or another place? My wife does her mustang at the dealer because it's free but this last time, whoever parked the car left it in drive and turned it off and its an automatic. So I'm skeptical of ford service now.
DIY. IT’S an easy job, but I was very anxious initially as the oil filter removal was new.
YouTube solved the anxiety.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I get mine done at the dealer. It cost me $70 bucks as opposed to Grease Monkey's $110. I could do it myself, but I learned that you earn a lot of goodwill for issues if you have the dealer service it. By the time I buy oil and filter, change the oil, and dispose of the oil I'm not far off $70 anyways.

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 301a
The Valvoline up the street from me actually does a great job on oil changes. Even had them change a battery on my wife's last car because I couldn't get the stupid thing out and fractured my wrist trying. It was shoehorned in there. Took at it to Valvoline and they had some special tool to grab it, turn it sideways and lift it out at a very weird angle. I will probably take the Ranger to the dealer and use points for the first couple oil changes, assuming I don't use the points for the all weather mats first.

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
I'm not a DIY guy (I can't hammer a straight line) so I've been going to my dealership. Their OC prices for full syn are comparable to established mechanics shops and I avoid the fast change places. I'm very fortunate that I have a great dealership. They really earned my business when my daughter purchased a 2014 Ford Focus - great little car except for the tranny travails - I tell you what, they were Johnny-on-spot with all the warranty work and even extended the warranty period to 100K. She eventually traded it on a Honder. So to make a short story even longer, they've been doing an outstanding job on my Ranger and it's like gold because they have all the maintenance records right there because if (big if I really love my pre-covid manufactured Ranger) I decide to ever trade there. I have found them to be very honest and great to work with. So for now, dealership for me.
Sponsored