First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Carbonized Gray SuperCab STX FX4
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
I haven't had one yet but, the dealership I bought it from does lifetime oil changes every 5,000 miles or 5 months. They are bit of distance away from me (110miles) but, I am in the area often. I might have them do it every so often. Most likely I will do it myself as I have since my first car.
Sponsored

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
For oil changes besides for those who diy. Do you take yours to the dealer or another place? My wife does her mustang at the dealer because it's free but this last time, whoever parked the car left it in drive and turned it off and its an automatic. So I'm skeptical of ford service now.
Dealership as they offer oil change and tire rotation and in the event of an oil related issue they can only blame themselves. I do every 5k, easy for me to remember. It’s also helped me get higher trade values as I remind them they can show the next buyer all the scheduled maintenance was done.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Dealership as they offer oil change and tire rotation and in the event of an oil related issue they can only blame themselves. I do every 5k, easy for me to remember. It’s also helped me get higher trade values as I remind them they can show the next buyer all the scheduled maintenance was done.
I have always keep detailed maintenance records and never had a dealer give a crap about it during trade in. Not before me throwing a fit and getting more for my trade to make a deal anyway.. but then it was more to shut me up than actually giving said crap.

On the flip side. The reason I bought the van I did a year ago was because Carfax showed the last owner had it serviced at the dealer on time, everytime.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I'm coming up to 3,000 miles on my truck and plan on changing it at least the 4,000 mile mark.
I got a 12 qt. box of Supertech synthetic, and a couple Motorcraft filters on hand.
I've been doing all my oil changes my whole life- owned vehicles and leased.
I change the oil religiously.

Side note- I'm a little skeptical of Carfax-My last truck I did all my oil changes myself, not at the dealer.
When I saw my trade-in on the dealer website, the Carfax report showed 3 oil changes performed at the dealer ?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Side note- I'm a little skeptical of Carfax-My last truck I did all my oil changes myself, not at the dealer.
When I saw my trade-in on the dealer website, the Carfax report showed 3 oil changes performed at the dealer ?
Well that's interesting...

Did you input them into the Fordpass app by any chance?

Reactions: Doc

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Well that's interesting...

Did you input them into the Fordpass app by any chance?
It was my last truck, a Nissan Titan. I don't want to sir any pot, and the dealership did right by me with the trade, but I did ALL oil changes myself. Whoever bought my Titan got a well-cared for vehicle.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
It was my last truck, a Nissan Titan. I don't want to sir any pot, and the dealership did right by me with the trade, but I did ALL oil changes myself. Whoever bought my Titan got a well-cared for vehicle.
Yeah that's some shady stuff carfax is doing then.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Yeah that's some shady stuff carfax is doing then.
My last car showed them doing a single oil change (they didn't) when they did a weird brake pedal rubber bumper recall, but nothing else that didn't happen.

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
As long as I am able to get under my vehicles, motorcycle, zero turn mower, power washer, chipper shredder, snow blower, push mower, generator, etc., I will continue to do all my own oil changes. A set of Race Ramps make the Explorer and Ranger easy to do. Plus, I buy my Motorcraft filters in bulk and my full synthetic oil at the local Walmart, I can usually get by doing it myself for about $45 bucks. Plus, I know it is done right. I had a new vehicle overfilled with too much oil (Ford Dealer) and then one of the company trucks that I drove had a drain plug stripped (Quick Change). That and at the quick change they actually started it after filling my company truck with oil and NOT installing an oil filter. Talk about a mess. Then at another quick change one of my employees in a F450 aerial lift truck lost a transmission due to them topping off the transmission with a solvent rather than transmission fluid. The dealer that replaced the transmission had the overfilled transmission fluid analyzed and it was damaged because of that. Then the quick change place denied it and my senior management just told me to get it fixed, a rebuilt transmission, and leave it go at that. Now you see why I do my own oil changes myself...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I get the Ranger done at the dealer's Quick Lane, and get the Works Pkg which includes tire rotation every 6000mi. The Mariner gets changed at the same dealer but at 3000mi, because that one gets a lot of short trip driving. I pay for servicing both vehicles with Ford Pass points, which accrue on my Ford Visa.
I do all the service and repair work that doesn't require welding or machining on my bikes. I change oil & filter with full synthetic once a season in the spring which is usually around 7,000 mi.

Last edited:

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I am pretty much a DIY'er when it comes to the easy stuff. The cutoff point for me on hassle factor is a moving target. Less and and less jobs make it into the "no problem" category these days. Too prosperous, too weak, so soft!

But! An oil/filter change is just too easy not to do myself. I frankly can't imagine the time when I am still breathing and I am not willing to do an oil/filter change. I will never be that soft! :)
Sponsored