How much have you paid to have your diff fluid and trans fluid changed?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I used to work at a dealership (for a couple of months) but I don't any more! I'm wondering what to expect to have the fluid changed in the front and rear diffs, and to have the fluid and filter changed in the transmission.
Sponsored

Old Red Replacement

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 4x4
Occupation
Retired OTR Diver/Maintenance Mechanic
FYI, Get ready for argument about having dealer do these services early.

Front and Rear diff are easy if you have drain plug. Use oil in squeeze bottles.

Good luck finding Ford Tech who can do transmission in less than 2 hrs, plus $40 filter, and + 5 Qts ULV @ $7 qt,

I did it myself on ground in four hours., added high Capacity PPE pan, and changed filter, gasket and filter seal are reusable.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/installed-ppe-transmission-pan.16182/page-5

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

Front and Rear diff are easy if you have drain plug. Use oil in squeeze bottles.

Good luck finding Ford Tech who can do transmission in less than 2 hrs, plus $40 filter, and + 5 Qts ULV @ $7 qt,

I did it myself on ground in four hours., added high Capacity PPE pan, and changed filter, gasket and filter seal are reusable.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/installed-ppe-transmission-pan.16182/page-5
This will be my 1st vehicle where one cannot use the tranny cooling lines to get most of fluid out, inc that in the torque converter . But currently have no plans to change it in the near future. Like others have expressed I lament that dipsticks are a thing of the past, with auto boxes I believe in doing a visual assessment of the fluid giving mileage lesser consideration. So no argument about having the dealer do it early, just one of doing it early, but roll your own. Did your change get the fluid out of the converter ? A long time ago those had drain plugs.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Added 7 1/2 qts 1/2 new fluid, now new have pan has drain plug and can change whenever I feel is necessary.

Use is towing in + 90F Fl heat, and the oem plastic pan is sketchy at best.

Thanks, the new pan I assume is metal? Auto makers continue with use of plastics on engines, 1st with valve covers , tranny pans, fords 2.7 and gm I belive have plastic oil pans and drain plugs, fortunately ranger is metal. So how did the fluid look ?

Maybe it would last 50-100K,
My research says don’t do it.

2FD0EF3E-8532-44B8-9974-23422375BB25.jpeg

lou5560

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
I used to work for a Ford dealer as well. I was a Parts Counterman & I was a Parts Department Manager for 10 years. I spent 30 total in the parts department before I changed careers. Its funny I just had differential & transmission service performed today at Downs Ford Rt. 37 Toms River, N.J. They charged me $825.00. They flushed my transmission & torque converter. Makes a big difference in how the transmission shifts. The shifts are better & more crisp. A little pricey but good preventive maintenance. I'm big on maintenance after working in the dealership for years. The vehicles that were more maintained seem to last longer. Me personally I like to change them both around 50,000. My 2019 has 49,000 miles. I still like my Ranger.

received_1196125417701731.jpeg

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I used to work for a Ford dealer as well. I was a Parts Counterman & I was a Parts Department Manager for 10 years. I spent 30 total in the parts department before I changed careers. Its funny I just had differential & transmission service performed today at Downs Ford Rt. 37 Toms River, N.J. They charged me $825.00. They flushed my transmission & torque converter. Makes a big difference in how the transmission shifts. The shifts are better & more crisp. A little pricey but good preventive maintenance. I'm big on maintenance after working in the dealership for years. The vehicles that were more maintained seem to last longer. Me personally I like to change them both around 50,000. My 2019 has 49,000 miles. I still like my Ranger.

received_1196125417701731.jpeg
How do you like the Destinations? Is that LE3?

lou5560

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
They are Firestone Destination XT. I just bought them & had them installed at the end of the summer. They are supposed to be good in snow. I'm essential personnel so when it snows I still have to go to work which is why I bought a Ford Ranger 4wd. Last winter it was very good in snow with the factory Hankooks. The tread on these look similar to B. F. Goodrich all terrain & General Grabber AT. The tread is more aggressive than the factory tires. I also went with LT265/70/17. They said that they don't hit the crash bar but when I would turn the wheel all the way to the right they did. I put a one inch Traxda 10160
Which raised it 1.5 inches. I didn't want to go really high because it's my daily driver & I like a little rake for when I tow. I'm glad I didn't go higher because I had hip replacement & if I went higher I wouldn't be able to get in it. When it snows I will post how they perform. They are good off road though I don't go off road often. I expect them to perform well due to design of my the tread. I also wanted something different. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Unfortunately, I live in an HOA neighborhood that disallows vehicle work in your driveways. I can do maintenance in my closed garage, but...

...my Ranger is too damn big to fit in my garage! ?

The good news is that I used to work at the dealership and, even though I quit, my former boss (the service manager) is a good friend of mine now. He told me to get the truck written up under him as the service writer. And I am getting a small deal on pricing! Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like I should maybe add why I'm thinking of getting the fluids changed.

I bought the truck used with 12,000 miles on it. It was in nice shape but did show some signs that the previous owner may have been a little spirited driving it. I myself tend to be a little hard on vehicles. I have a heavy right foot when the light turns green on top of the fact that the truck has seen some off-road trips.

These days, occasionally I will get a disconcerting feeling on acceleration from the trans. If I'm accelerating, lift off the throttle, and then reapply throttle, it feels like the trans bucks hard. In my past experience having had tortured some police car transmissions in my previous life, burnt trans fluid (lower viscosity?) causes this driving condition and the problem went away with fresh trans fluid and also helped stretch the life of the transmission.
Sponsored