5280Ranger Build

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
My old build was cluttered and had a lot of crap all over the place. I am going to try and keep this one more organized. In trying to do that, I will always update the first post with the most recent picture and modification list.

Picture updated on 08.14.2023.

I need to get more pictures, as this is missing quite a few modifications, but its the best I've got right now.

Modification List:

Removed Parts:

The next post is from my original build. It gives an idea on what I thought when I bought the truck. (Though those plans have fallen by the wayside.)

KObMN_quxvDHS4xhIchhcJnS=w1961-h1307-no?authuser=0.jpg

Lc_BPWXhqYxNpvJfTIn3azpwb=w1278-h852-no?authuser=0.jpg

t03dfT0_kOOkynkg68FcgpXoQ=w1278-h852-no?authuser=0.jpg

uD_lJ-HTGuGw28tIX0hPrcX2U=w1278-h852-no?authuser=0.jpg

cTJ6aYPT4FH9HQIsUzgZh1g=w1278-h852-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Intro:
This is going to be slow. This thread is mostly for my benefit, but I welcome people to follow along.

I bought a 2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 in April. The deals being offered were too good to wait and, I am glad I didn't, because inventory has dropped and prices have jumped.

Here she is the day I bought her.

The wife and I took her out on what turned out to be a dirt road.

A few weeks later, a local Instagrammer put out a run to Mini Moab. I was able to flex her out a little bit. I took all the bypasses to the obstacles, but she handled great and instilled confidence in me.
85vaS2nFE4YIJzbDU10-2WAK82=w666-h999-no?authuser=0.jpg

Objective:
This truck will be built around taking the wife and I camping, exploring ghost towns and areas of Colorado, and get to locations to photography.

Phase 1 Plan:
  1. ARB Skid Plates - Ordered
  2. Shrockworks Rock Sliders
  3. Communications
    1. Right now, I am leaning towards the Midland MXT275 Bundle.
  4. Rear Diff Skid
Phase 2 Plan:
  1. Old Man Emu Lift - this is my first choice, as it stands. I like that it's a full kit and is comprehensive. OME was highly regarded when I had my old 4runner. I also haven't decided between the two kits.
  2. 285/70r17 Tires. I don't have a tire preference at this time.
  3. Winch mount of some kind. Leaning towards the Shrockworks Ultralight Winch Mount or the 589Fab Hidden Winch Mount.
  4. Winch. No ideas here yet.
  5. Rear bumper. I am leaning towards the ARB Summit Rear Bumper because it is simplistic, clean, works with all my sensors, and offers good protection.
Phase 3 Plan:
Okay, this is where things really go off the rails. This phase will be all about making camping easier.
  1. Topper or RTT/rack - I debate this all the time. I like RTTs for a number of reasons (though I have never used one). Getting off the ground, being able to pack all the bedding inside, easy setup. That being said, I like the topper for a number of reasons. More secured storage, ...ok, so it's really only the one reason. I feel like the secured storage is important because we live in fire ban country here and we are going to be taking a propane fire pit that we can use during bans and, honestly, anytime I don't want to worry about it. We can also use it for cooking.
  2. Decked Drawer System
  3. ???
I will update this thread as mods come in. I am hoping next week for the ARB skids.

typmoon

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Tire Installer
Vehicle Showcase
Most recent picture; 03.16.2022.
Lc_BPWXhqYxNpvJfTIn3azpwb=w1278-h852-no?authuser=0.jpg

Older pictures:
z4A0Vce7zZK_B-vnYa9ThFRFg=w1278-h852-no?authuser=0.jpg

PPTgJDzCNkN7wb4TkVtfANajdsmtqj=s1278-no?authuser=0.jpg

cAfCccidkAUqDnEFX2S_rNhOG=w1278-h555-no?authuser=0.jpg

U9k2Ou3Kykbo4rMhYqEupuP0v=w1278-h852-no?authuser=0.jpg

mBw_Vnihjy9bF_qbQpW_gmTGQ=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg
Nice build so far! I question on the Ghost antenna install. Im looking to get the Midland MXT275 Bundle as well! Do you have any recommendations on installing it or how you were able to mount it to your ditch lights? Im running Baja designs Ditch lights but not sure where to mount it without interfering with the light

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build so far! I question on the Ghost antenna install. Im looking to get the Midland MXT275 Bundle as well! Do you have any recommendations on installing it or how you were able to mount it to your ditch lights? Im running Baja designs Ditch lights but not sure where to mount it without interfering with the light
Thanks! I used this to install the antenna. I mounted it facing outward of the ditch lights, but I have seen it mounted inward (over the hood). I didn't have to modify the bracket at all.

typmoon

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Tire Installer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I used this to install the antenna. I mounted it facing outward of the ditch lights, but I have seen it mounted inward (over the hood). I didn't have to modify the bracket at all.
Thanks for the link! That'll definitely help out! Watching your build because I got another year or 2 before I have to decide if I want to keep the Ranger or upgrade to the 23/24 model or keep my Bronco Reservation lol

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
B_d42Z6gzKJ2aglUeXePscFqg=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg

Installed the Mishimoto snorkel. It took some time, but was actually pretty easy. Once you get past drilling holes in your fancy truck, the install is simple. The hardest part was taking the fender flare off. I broke it. Had to buy a new one. That was a $100 mistake.

Emory39

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 2022 BMW Z3 1997
Occupation
Military/Mechanic
NIce Buid OP. what part of CO are you? im close to COS area.

Reactions: Doc

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
B_d42Z6gzKJ2aglUeXePscFqg=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg

Installed the Mishimoto snorkel. It took some time, but was actually pretty easy. Once you get past drilling holes in your fancy truck, the install is simple. The hardest part was taking the fender flare off. I broke it. Had to buy a new one. That was a $100 mistake.
Great looking truck and overland build.

Is that your RTT hanging from your ceiling? I like that setup.

I am definitely interested in a RTT like yours, and I assumed that I would have to build a way to store it like you have done.

Can you give us more details? How hard is it to uninstall and reinstall each time you want to use it? Any tips or tricks to your setup?

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking truck and overland build.
Thank you!

Is that your RTT hanging from your ceiling? I like that setup.
That is my tent hanging from the ceiling.

I am definitely interested in a RTT like yours, and I assumed that I would have to build a way to store it like you have done.

Can you give us more details? How hard is it to uninstall and reinstall each time you want to use it? Any tips or tricks to your setup?
Its really easy to use. I need to make some changes, as its not completely level when lifting, but that was a design flaw on my part. It will be an easy fix. I will see about getting a video of me installing and removing the tent sometime, but I can do it by myself with minimal effort. The hardest part is getting lined up under the tent.
Sponsored