What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Is there any recent independent 3rd party test data available that shows Amsoil in comparison to Mobil 1 Annual Protection?
Sponsored

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Is there any recent independent 3rd party test data available that shows Amsoil in comparison to Mobil 1 Annual Protection?
Yes, lots on line as well as I have had quite a few BMW and Porsche owners switch from Mobil 1 to Amsoil due to lack of protection. Seizing bearings etc.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yes, lots on line as well as I have had quite a few BMW and Porsche owners switch from Mobil 1 to Amsoil due to lack of protection. Seizing bearings etc.
I've looked online and have found nothing recent, by an independent source. Can you post up some links?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Mobil 1 Annual Protection is a marketing ploy to charge a higher price for inferior oil. In the oil wear protection testing referenced in the link that was posted earlier in this thread the Annual Protection ranks 140 out of 239 oils tested.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Mobil 1 Annual Protection is a marketing ploy to charge a higher price for inferior oil. In the oil wear protection testing referenced in the link that was posted earlier in this thread the Annual Protection ranks 140 out of 239 oils tested.
It took me forever to find the reference on that page, but I didn't see any real test data, just some ranting about how it was a marketing ploy and it was a crappy oil. But nothing (no data) that backed up any of the claims. Did I miss something?

That site is terribly hard to consume - it appears to be just one huge post - not organized in any fashion at all. Close to 10,000 lines of text with no real organization.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
The comparison factor listing for comparing the wear protection is rated as P.S.I., and according to his rating comparison listing below the Mobil 1 Annual Protection at 82.486 is not as bad as I was representing it (my apologies), but why would someone want to pay a premium price for an inferior oil? Compare this Mobil 1 to Quaker State Ultimate Durability at 135,125 which is also API SN Plus rated and available at Walmart for less than $25 for a 5 quart jug.

Not to mention that Mobil 1 is suggesting leaving this oil in your vehicle for a year!!

The Wear Protection reference categories are:

* Over 120,000 psi = FANTASTIC wear protection

* 105,000 to 120,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

* 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

* 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

* 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODERATE wear protection

* 50,000 to 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE LOW wear protection

* Below 50,000 psi = CAUTION – EXTREMELY LOW wear protection

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.

Test result differences between oils of less than 10% are not significant, and oils within that range can be considered approximately equivalent.

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Oil threads are the best, like watching a heard of cats being released in a labyrinth cat nip.
Totally agree.

It also seems to me that whatever product is the most popular is the one that is attacked the most such as Mobile 1 oil and Fram filters. I"ll just pop some popcorn and sit back and watch the thread....

Last edited:

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
This! Had my first "free" change at the dealership yesterday with the Motorcraft Synthetic blend. I will probably stick with it.
I am about to do my first oil change (approaching 5k miles), and plan on using Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W-30...who else?

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Mine goes in tomorrow for it’s 8000km oil change. Will put motocraft in and then dump it at 10,000 and switch to full synthetic

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I am about to do my first oil change (approaching 5k miles), and plan on using Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W-30...who else?
Did my first one the other day. Used Rotella 5W-30 full synthetic gas truck oil. Could pass on $10.49 for 5 quarts. Used a Ford filter.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I will use, or just get 5w30 full synthetic Motorcraft from the dealer parts counter.

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
Hard to beat Mobil 1 synthetic for the price Walmart sells it at.
Sponsored