What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Any opinions on Royal Purple?
Royal Purple has switched ownership a few times and the quality has suffered.
The formulation they use now does not let the oil flow anywhere near as well as most other synthetics which will affect the protection. Especially on start up. Hot or cold.
Sponsored

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
I have the dealer change my oil, It was part of the deal, every 5,000 miles. I pay for the upgrade to full synthetic.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I went with the Ford synthetic on the first change and had the rear axle gear oil changed as well.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Ford synthetic on the first change and had the rear axle gear oil changed as well.
Rear axle gear oil is the easiest fluid change in the car. Next time do it yourself...your wallet will appreciate it. Cheers

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Rear axle gear oil is the easiest fluid change in the car. Next time do it yourself...your wallet will appreciate it. Cheers
Thanks, but my neck and back are put together with screws, brackets, rods and maybe a little crazy glue and duct tape! I wish I could still do my own maintenance, though.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Regarding the reference to Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series having a high Calcium content, the data shown is old data. This chart is referencing the formulation present in 2012. It has since been reformulated for use in GDI and Turbo-GDI engines.
earlier in this thread, one of our members, Noseoil posted a link to independent motor oil testing that shows test data for this reformulated oil from 2017.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

This 5w30 Amsoil "blows the doors off" all of the contenders for engine component wear protection.
I did not read through this information in its entirety, but the oil that is rated second to the AMSOIL (5w30) is Quaker State Ultimate Durability API SN "PLUS" in the green bottle.
I ordered the Amsoil, but in the future I might consider this Quaker State, as it is available at Walmart for a much more reasonable cost.

Last edited:

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the reference to Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series having a high Calcium content, the data shown is old data. This chart is referencing the formulation present in 2012. It has since been reformulated for use in GDI and GDI-Turbo engines.
earlier in this thread, one of our members, Noseoil posted a link to independent motor oil testing that shows test data for this reformulated oil from 2017.

This 5w30 Amsoil pretty much "blows the doors off" all of the contenders.
I did not read through this information in its entirety, but the only oil that I found that comes close is
Quaker State Ultimate Durability API SN "Plus" in the green bottle.
I ordered the Amsoil, but in the future I might consider this Quaker State, as it is available at Walmart for a much more reasonable cost.
Seems like a no brainer to use the Amsoil. No brainer over time

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My Ranger computer just reminded me to change my oil in the next 100 miles . I’m at 3,900 miles! That 10,000 mile interval is bs
It has a lot to do with calendar days too, I have every bit of 8500 miles on my last change and it was at 13% when I changed it.
I only did the change because I’m going to be towing a bunch in the next week.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Regarding the reference to Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series having a high Calcium content, the data shown is old data. This chart is referencing the formulation present in 2012. It has since been reformulated for use in GDI and GDI-Turbo engines.

This 5w30 Amsoil pretty much "blows the doors off" all of the contenders.
I did not read through this information in its entirety, but the only oil that I found that comes close is
Quaker State Ultimate Durability API SN "Plus" in the green bottle.
I would take that 540rat blog with a grain. A member of SAE? $35 and anybody can be a member of SAE. Some good information maybe but there is a lot more to oil than his test(s).

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I would take that 540rat blog with a grain. A member of SAE? $35 and anybody can be a member of SAE. Some good information maybe but there is a lot more to oil than his test(s).
There are numerous Amsoil guys on this site... such as @Amsoil guy . Seems like they should be able to provide actual test data that proves Amsoil is the best oil for our trucks?

Chrisr24

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I work at a automotive shop and we use liquimoly oil so I had my tech use that. Very good oil in my opinion.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Regarding the reference to Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series having a high Calcium content, the data shown is old data. This chart is referencing the formulation present in 2012. It has since been reformulated for use in GDI and Turbo-GDI engines.

This 5w30 Amsoil "blows the doors off" all of the contenders for engine component wear protection.
I did not read through this information in its entirety, but the oil that is rated second to the AMSOIL (5w30) is Quaker State Ultimate Durability API SN "PLUS" in the green bottle.
The API SN Plus apex is recommended by the manufacturers to help protect the turbo chargers from the Low Speed Pre Ignition

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Amsoil guy,
Regarding the SN Plus rating, in addition to this turbo rating:
"The API SN Plus apex is recommended by the manufacturers to help protect the turbo chargers from the Low Speed Pre Ignition"
It is my understanding that this rating is also a benefit for Direct Injection in that there are less vapors created to run through the PCV system and deposit on intake valves.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil guy,
Regarding the SN Plus rating, in addition to this turbo rating:
"The API SN Plus apex is recommended by the manufacturers to help protect the turbo chargers from the Low Speed Pre Ignition"
It is my understanding that this rating is also a benefit for Direct Injection in that there are less vapors created to run through the PCV system and deposit on intake valves.
Correct
Sponsored