What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I switched to Kirkland 5W-30 with motocraft filter / change every 5k. Good enough quality oil that won’t break the bank

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Carbonized Gray SuperCab STX FX4
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I run Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 5W-30 100% synthetic and a WIX oil filter.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Note to Fusseli....
To acknowledge your response to my post(#391)...
I am a touch perplexed as to how to interpret it.
Was it actually funny in some way or more likely did you see it as absurd?

Assuming the latter...
I would quote Ford's recommendations and admit to being a slight bit more aggressive on oil change intervals, but I choose instead to rely on decades of personal experience to make that determination.
A couple of points...
You might actually get protection enough for your engine to outlast the truck's useful life by changing the oil annually without regard to mileage. I had some in fleet that had that schedule and did just that.

I find that oil change intervals at 5000 miles to be a little less than semi-annually in my case and my philosophy is to do preventative service on my vehicles in my shop, instead of doing repairs along the shoulder of some cold dark highway. I see the oil change as an opportunity to inspect and service more than just drain and fill.

At these intervals, I don't even open the hood or crawl under the truck except about once every 6 months. That's maybe an extra $30 and 30-40 minutes per year. Well worth it for me, but perhaps excessive to some others.
Also I want to drive my last mile in my vehicle with the same confidence as the first and I don't trade every few years.

Each of us will get results commensurate with the use and maintenance to which we subject our trucks.
I can see some being satisfied with the results from whatever regimen they choose.

Forgive me if I misread the :crackup:

BTW; My TC is presently harassing me for an oil change due to the fact that it has been a year but only about 1500 miles. I considered just a reset, but have decided that it would be more prudent to service and inspect it instead. :blush:

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
BTW; My TC is presently harassing me for an oil change due to the fact that it has been a year but only about 1500 miles. I considered just a reset, but have decided that it would be more prudent to service and inspect it instead. :blush:
I'm in the same condition regarding oil change. My Ranger was picked up on 12-14-19. On 10-10-20, I changed the oil with 1,806 miles driven. Now, at 4,011 miles (2,205 miles since the last oil change), FP is nagging me to change the oil. I wanted to wait until early in October (1 year) but I will probably change it this week. FP says the truck has 4% oil life left. I too service my truck myself allowing me to give it a close inspection.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
@Floyd I was mostly laughing at the matter of factness, and “another oil thread” which is everyone’s favorite thing to argue about on any car forum!

if it’s $30 extra and twice your time a year and you enjoy doing it, that’s awesome! A basic quality oil, any old 5w30 from Wally World, and the fl820s and there’s no worries.

The ranger however can safely run until the oil change warning using a quality full synthetic as evidenced by my last UOA
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/blackstone-used-oil-analysis.7489/post-304645

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Over he past 40-odd years of vehicle ownership I’ve used whatever is on sale that meets the spec published in that vehicles owners manual. Never had an oil related problem. My Ranger will receive the same level of care.

dirtystevedirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
cnc guy
2nd oil change today at 9100 miles. Made the switch from the Motorcraft semi-syn to Mobil-1 full syn 5-30. Sticking with the Motorcraft FL-910S filter.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Havoline 'Lifelong' 5W30 and Motorcraft filters currently. This is the 6qt box from WalMart. One box, one change, no muss no fuss.

5000-mile interval.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Havoline 'Lifelong' 5W30 and Motorcraft filters currently. This is the 6qt box from WalMart. One box, one change, no muss no fuss.

5000-mile interval.
What about the other 2 ounces missing? Do you not pull out the measuring cup to get the extra 2 ounces in?

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Whatever the dealer puts in it. That's what oil I will use.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
I had my first oil change (mi 3726) last week with Ford synthetic (MOTORCRAFT SAE 5W-30
API GF-8) and a Ford Filter.
:cool:
Sponsored