What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I have never had to overhaul my engines on a cold dark road. How many have changed their bearing at such a time and place. Where did you get the parts? Oil lubricates part of the internals of an engine. Tires, batteries, water pumps, leaks because of holes/ seals, or various other parts (not oiled by engine) will leave you beside the road. One of my favorite times of the day is cold dark thirty.
PS having a damper will slow cold dark road repairs. It will take you longer to get your hammer, pliers, duct tape, and bailing wire out of your tool box in the bed of the truck. :angel:
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
What about the other 2 ounces missing? Do you not pull out the measuring cup to get the extra 2 ounces in?
Closer to a cup!:rolleyes: I keep an extra quart on hand and add eight ounces of it with each Oil change.
I know that's about an ounce too much, :giggle: but the bottle is marked in 8oz increments.:like:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I am running Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Blend and a Motorcraft filter.

Stronglight

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Lariat FX4 Supercab, rear seat & decal delete
Does anyone have an oil filter wrench they particularly like or recommend? Thanks.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
What about the other 2 ounces missing? Do you not pull out the measuring cup to get the extra 2 ounces in?
No, no I don't. The truck doesn't use oil or or add gas, so in 5000 miles it is sitting exactly where I left it and I don't stress it.

Last edited:

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Before retirement, I worked as a fleet mechanic for Mobil Oil,
We had access to a corporate lubrication department which provided us with expert advice on every lubricant .
For my personal vehicles I have run Motorcraft oil and have never had a part which ran in oil show any wear. Of course oil change intervals have increased as oil has improved and as fuel management has improved.
I will use Motorcraft parasynthetic 5W30 in my new Ranger .
It meets the highest standard in the industry.
I have been cautious about extending oil change intervals so I'll probably be conservative and change oil every 4000 miles. I may even hand my used oil down to be used in some older cars as I have in the past.

When asked about oil change intervals I usually respond with this question....
What sort of underwear do you wear??
After the incredulous look on their faces I continue...
Whether you wear cotton , synthetic blend fabric, or the finest silk,
they still get the same skid marks!
Mobil 1 Is as good as it gets, but it honestly won't provide any greater protection than Motorcraft, Especially if you think you can run it after it is contaminated.
Motorcraft parasynthetic 5W30 meets SN+ standards,but moreover it meets ILSAC GF-5 standards. AFAIK there is no higher standard for gasoline engines.

Another point... oil service life involves a lot more than the number of miles, and so oil change intervals should be done based on other factors as well, with the mileage arrived at after those considerations.
ILSAC GF-6A, GF-6B

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
When I was at Honda we tested a lot of different oils, (I dont think Motorcraft though) run the engine on the dyno for 500 miles and analyze it, up to 3000 miles.

Mobil 1 was the best, the protection additives were still active, some oils were done by 500-1000 miles.

We were looking for best power and wear protection, Mobil 1 did not make any more power like some of the other oils, but it lasted the longest.

A 2.2L V6 turbo was used for testing.

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
I'll run the Mobil 1 extended mile, gold stuff in it like I did my Focus ST, 5000 mile changes. And I ran that car like a scalded dog, never used a drop. Good stuff, I traded the car in with 100k miles, still ran perfect and I ran a Cobb stage 2 tune with a mountune big intercooler.

My Boss 302 gets Amsoil signature 5w-50.

lou5560

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
I always used Mobil 1 Extended Performance but they were out of stock so I tried Valvoline Extended Performance full synthetic oil. I actually like the Valvoline. My 2019 Ford Ranger seemed to run quieter & smoother. The price is better too plus I change my oil every 5000 miles so I may stick with the Valvoline as it is more readily available in my area.

Last edited:

neat1954

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Expedition
Occupation
QC inspector
What oil comes in the new ranger and what do they put in at the dealership if you dont specify anything?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
ILSAC GF-6A, GF-6B
Thanks for the update....
Time marches on and so do oil ratings. I retired some time ago and seldom read the fine print on a trusted product.
You are correct and Motorcraft 5W-30 Synthetic Blend motor oil does meet the latest GF-6 standards,as well as SN Plus and the new service designation SP, which are the relevant standards for the U.S.

Last edited:

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
What oil comes in the new ranger and what do they put in at the dealership if you dont specify anything?
Motorcraft semi synthetic

Rick V.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Scab,63 Fairlane, 22 Scab XLT FX4 302a
Occupation
Fleet bodyman
Does anyone have an oil filter wrench they particularly like or recommend? Thanks.
This is the one I like, it fits the Motorcraft and the filters that Amsoil uses. I got it at Advance auto.

Attachments

Stronglight

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Lariat FX4 Supercab, rear seat & decal delete