What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
Amsoil will be the life blood of my truck. Ordered 0w-30 signature and 75w-90 for the front and rear diff’s. Will be changing all of this at 2k miles initially and then engine oil once ever 6 months or 10k miles.
Unless I'm mistaken, AMSoil is not API certified?
Don't you risk your warranty by using it?
If your engine blows for some reason, Ford will is it as justification for not repairing/replacing your engine.
Sponsored

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
If your engine blows for some reason, Ford will is it as justification for not repairing/replacing your engine.
The Amsoil OE and XL line is API approved.

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
Only Mobil 1. Btw, the semi and full synthetic from Ford is Mobil 1. At least that's what my factory fill was on my Fusion Sport.
ConocoPhillips in Hartford Illinois makes all Motorcraft oil except factory fill.
I used to be a bulk loader and lab technician for them. They still hold the contract.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Sorry, the info is on page 24 of this thread.?

MikeyTX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Lariat Supercrew; '21 MX-5 Miata
Occupation
Retired Military/Law enforcement
What my servicing dealer uses. The quick lane with a coupon is $25.00. I always tip the young lady that has done my vehicles for the past 5 years. I also gift her at christmas. My Mustangs and Explorers always come back cleaner than when I brought them in.

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
Some insight I learned as a former Lab Technician for Conoco(Phillips) Lubricants.
  • All API certified motor oils, synthetic and conventional, use essentially same additive packages. (D.I. and V.I.)
  • With the advent of hydro-cracked and synthetic base oils, it's the additive packages that will wear out before the oil.
  • There is essentially no difference between synthetic and hydro-cracked (premium) base stocks except for pour point.
  • Pour point is how long it takes the oil to begin moving in cold temps. If I remember correctly, conventional was -40C and synthetic was -70C. So if you live somewhere extremely cold, synthetic is better. And that is the only time it is better for basic engines.
  • We made Motorcraft oil (Mopar for a while too)and they were setting the benchmarks and standards in the oil industry.
  • From everything I know about motor oil and current spec's, I try to change my oil every 3000 miles and never go more the 5000.
  • API sets the basic standard for each iteration of motor oil. Companies like Motorcraft and Mobil set their benchmarks inside those standards. (including strict ppm specs for phosphorus)
  • Most oils who choose not to be API certified do so because the can't pass the bench testing required.

All my own thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
For what it’s worth.
I intend to run the oil with the lowest wear value available, especially due to the turbo. I have owned a several Subaru turbo cars.
The first two changes were with Amsoil Signature 5w30 and the next was with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 SN “Plus”, which at the time was just one step below the Amsoil.
Quaker State has recently released an upgrade, which is their “Full Synthetic”. This new version surpasses even the Amsoil Signature Series.
Due to the Direct Injection, I use a 5,000 mile change interval along with Motorcraft oil filters.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
To what extent is your experience with Porsche? Porsche certified tech, bronze, silver, gold?
Gold
Service Training Instructor
Field Technical Manager
Regional AfterSales Manager
Retired

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
Changed mine last week and used AMSOil signature series 5W-30 and their 15K mile filter. I only put on about 4-6K per year so I will change it at the 12 month interval. I have used AMSOIL on every vehicle I have owned for over 20 years ( all Fords and 3 Ecoboost engines). Never had any issues and I actually purchase the oil from my local Ford dealership.
Brian

DoctorsTARDIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I plan on switching to Amsoil signature series as well and will likely do the oil change at the yearly interval, as I doubt I'll hit the mileage interval.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
I plan on switching to Amsoil signature series as well and will likely do the oil change at the yearly interval, as I doubt I'll hit the mileage interval.
Great choice.
Brian

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
So what oil did Ford put in new Rangers at factory? I live in Upstate NY... should I go 5W or 0W? I'm leaning 5W.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I need to have my door keypad connected, so I'm going to let the dealer do my first oil change at the same time. If they offer a decent price, I will let them do the next 2 as well, to cover the 60,000 km warranty period.
Sponsored