What are you guys towing?

jprime84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Anyone towing a Ranger with their Ranger? Trip for the spring shakedown was anticlimactic after my freshly charged cranking battery died between home and the ramp. Had to replace it, but then again that was the point of the shakedown.

Another cool thing was the truck alerted me to a rear right trailer lighting issue (water in the sealed LED fixture) that I had no idea was there. Past tow vehicle never said a word.

Used tow/haul mode, and it was easy enough driving. Seemed like the engine would struggle right when starting from a stop sign and then the turbo boost comes in and nearly wants to chirp the tires. This what others are seeing?

Towing Ranger 1788WT on a dual axle trailer. Estimating about 3400 lbs tow weight.

IMG_2479.jpeg

bostonburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Fx4 hot pepper red metallic
I'm towing a 1400lb offroad camper, I've done about 3000 miles towing it since I got my ranger last summer and it tows way better than my V8 lexus while getting double the gas mileage! Also getting the ford performance tune made a pretty noticeable difference in towing performance.
IMG_8897.JPEG

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Wife and I have been talking about getting a camper for some time but have not been sure we would use it enough to justify the expense. I ran across a 17' Skyline for a price that I can justify and picked it up yesterday.

Screenshot_20230316-121029_1.png

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
95 mile highway trip with a 25 mph headwind pulling the 5x8 loaded with a zero turn averaging 65 - 70 mph netted me 17 mpg... oof

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
95 mile highway trip with a 25 mph headwind pulling the 5x8 loaded with a zero turn averaging 65 - 70 mph netted me 17 mpg... oof

Lol, you can argue with physics all you want, but you can't fight it.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Anyone towing a Ranger with their Ranger? Trip for the spring shakedown was anticlimactic after my freshly charged cranking battery died between home and the ramp. Had to replace it, but then again that was the point of the shakedown.

Another cool thing was the truck alerted me to a rear right trailer lighting issue (water in the sealed LED fixture) that I had no idea was there. Past tow vehicle never said a word.

Used tow/haul mode, and it was easy enough driving. Seemed like the engine would struggle right when starting from a stop sign and then the turbo boost comes in and nearly wants to chirp the tires. This what others are seeing?

Towing Ranger 1788WT on a dual axle trailer. Estimating about 3400 lbs tow weight.

IMG_2479.jpeg
I pulled this last year, about 4 hrs drive, close to 5000lbs. Mpgs were about 13/15mpg? Tow mode, was smooth, no issues. Starting from a stop was smooth. I have no experience with pulling/trailering & I thought it was just so easy & smooth.

1679235763257.png

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Moved my sailboat out of storage in preparation for spring. Just took it to the marina where it will receive some nice racing bottom paint. The boat is an S2 7.9, kind of a "Great Lakes racing sailboat". It's the reason I bought the Ranger. It's a 1980s hull and kind of heavy compared to more modern construction. Total package of boat+trailer weighs around 6000 (6300 on the cat scale last fall, but I've since removed a lot of tools and useless bits from the interior so this is a guesstimate).

boat-haul.jpg

I posted about hauling the same boat in this thread just a few months ago. Lessons learned from my first times towing: I put as much crap up front as I could to get tongue weight up. And double checked the trailer tire pressure this time. Last time it turns out the tires were down a few pounds from what they should be. I had brought my air compressor but forgot the chuck when I moved in the fall, whoopsie daisy.

I'm not sure what my tongue weight is currently but will say combination of weight management and tire pressure was a HUGE improvement from towing in the fall. I experience absolutely no sway, even when I had a 30mph gusty crossbreeze. Even the crummy surge brakes felt totally adequate. I'm still considering rebuilding the trailer to have electric brakes, but after this drive I'm not sure I really *need* to. This thing tows like champ even with the crappy setup. Glad I got this truck and not a "fullsize". Really, the Ranger is a fullsize anyway...
It’s a beauty!