Water in spark plug investigation

Jeff in Ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX2
So, with all this hub-bub about engine covers I decided to take a look. This is a 2020 with 13,000 miles that sits outside in Ohio all the time facing downhill. . Spark plugs 2-4 were pristine. Number 1….not so much…. I’m calling #1 at the front of the motor. So, I used dielectric grease on the top of the coils seal and then a bead around the ridge on the valve cover where the coil pushes down as step one going forward. The leak point is where Ford split the cowl cover where a push fastener is. . I put a pan on top of the motor and it has been a light steady rain for around 5-6 hours. Look at all that water it collected. Next step will be to seal the cowl cover to the cowl and eliminate the leak point.

52835702-E143-47E1-A9CB-781A9CFD0677.jpeg

12BDAD8F-7628-47B3-835B-371BD567210D.jpeg

7243A5FF-2971-4D00-BA14-471E3CBA95DA.jpeg

FA3DAA70-EA35-4958-A945-6BB364F23685.jpeg

4850CA2C-0FAF-4CC4-B881-8A8147D8ECF2.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for investigating and testing this. I’ll definitely be checking under the hood after washing the truck or after it rains. ?

Now, put that baking sheet back before you catch hell from the boss.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I actually checked mine yesterday too. My truck is outside all of the time and all four spark plug wells were pristine. Not sure what is different about mine. ‘20 XLT, so no engine cover.

OP
OP

Jeff in Ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX2
The plastic cowl covers is in two pieces Ford has a foam gasket stuck to the metal of the cowl. You can push down the plastic cowl cover and watch water squeeze out of the foam gasket. The plastic cover it split in the middle and a plastic rivet holds it together. The split in the cowl cover defeats the foam gasket tape and the water drips thru the hole for the plastic fastener. I will be sealing the plastic cowl cover to the metal of the cowl paying particular attention around the hole with the plastic fastener is. Will probably replace the plastic fasteners with bolts so I can pull down the plastic cowl cover and get a nice squeeze on the RTV I will be using to seal them together. Will seal where the two pieces of cowl cover come together also. Stay tuned. The hood seal between the plastic cowl cover does a nice job of keeping anything out that overflows the plastic cowl cover. Its the cheap ass foam gasket Ford used along with having a hole right in the middle where the pieces are split

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so i never looked into the water in plugs thing. i sorta put in the alternator getting wet pile of issues. possible but not a big worry. however that test you set up is pretty solid evidence this issue is a concern. thank you!!!
so for the folks into the 3d printing can yall make a water diverter to go in place the push fastener? maybe a foot long overall, with a slope on both ends, dimpled water channel? taller lip on the forward end so water is forced into the dimples and off either side instead of down toward the engine? in my mind it looks awesome i just cant explain it well or create it lol.

OP
OP

Jeff in Ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX2
It’s the cheap ass foam gasket tape where the split is. Soaks up water..:then bleeds at the split and the fastener. You Can see water staining on metal where water has come out of foam gasket and around the fastener hole at the split. Foam tapes and plastic push rivits are used for speed of assembly. Good old sealant and some bolts to hold it all tight will bake a great seal right there. Better yet, I have a roll of butyl tape used for RV repairs..:that will make a much better seal than the foam….and it will seal where the fast we will push thru. The plastic piece drains water..it’s just the damn split the fastener hole and the POS foam gasket. If it ever needs to come out…just unbolt it and use thin knive to cut seal between the plastic cover and metal cowl.

2E5CC21F-D25F-40EA-8996-2A25455761E7.jpeg

856CC85F-A878-44DB-B082-CAC7D5F9EED1.jpeg

Last edited:

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
... You can push down the plastic cowl cover and watch water squeeze out of the foam gasket...
There is a good clue. This implies it is open-cell foam, a closed-cell foam may be the answer. You can't seal out water with something that water runs through.

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
It’s the cheap ass foam gasket tape where the split is. Soaks up water..:then bleeds at the split and the fastener. You Can see water staining on metal where water has come out of foam gasket and around the fastener hole at the split. Foam tapes and plastic push rivits are used for speed of assembly. Good old sealant and some bolts to hold it all tight will bake a great seal right there. Better yet, I have a roll of butyl tape used for RV repairs..:that will make a much better seal than the foam….and it will seal where the fast we will push thru. The plastic piece drains water..it’s just the damn split the fastener hole and the POS foam gasket. If it ever needs to come out…just unbolt it and use thin knive to cut seal between the plastic cover and metal cowl.

2E5CC21F-D25F-40EA-8996-2A25455761E7.jpeg

856CC85F-A878-44DB-B082-CAC7D5F9EED1.jpeg

Can you please clarify, are you going to remove the foam gasket and then replace it with the butyl tape? Thanks.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I recently started following these water in spark plug hole threads. Could someone take a picture of the spark plug hole?

OP
OP

Jeff in Ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX2
Can you please clarify, are you going to remove the foam gasket and then replace it with the butyl tape? Thanks.
Yes I am. Then bolt it down instead of using the plastic rivits. Ask any RVer… butyl tape works wonders. Butyl rubber caulk is awesome also but not something you find at a basic hardware store. It’s used to seal in commercial window systems and flashing. Don’t get it on you because it is super sticky and a real pain in the ass to clean off. Take it apart in 20 years though and butyl caulk will be just as sticky and nasty as the day you applied it. Amazing stuff for blocking water. I’m convinced that all that is needed is a good seal between the plastic cover and metal cowl and a sealing of the split/center plastic fastener will solve the problem.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
So, with all this hub-bub about engine covers I decided to take a look. This is a 2020 with 13,000 miles that sits outside in Ohio all the time facing downhill. . Spark plugs 2-4 were pristine. Number 1….not so much…. I’m calling #1 at the front of the motor. So, I used dielectric grease on the top of the coils seal and then a bead around the ridge on the valve cover where the coil pushes down as step one going forward. The leak point is where Ford split the cowl cover where a push fastener is. . I put a pan on top of the motor and it has been a light steady rain for around 5-6 hours. Look at all that water it collected. Next step will be to seal the cowl cover to the cowl and eliminate the leak point.

52835702-E143-47E1-A9CB-781A9CFD0677.jpeg

12BDAD8F-7628-47B3-835B-371BD567210D.jpeg
Nice Work Jeff! Duplicates what @NotBudule found and confirms the root cause without a doubt. But I am sure some will still doubt! ?
Also thanks for the spark plug pics. That also confirms @Walter Alvarez 's picture from the dealer. It does look like a drain!
1662313880905.png

But now youve pulled me away from my afternoon of couch surfing to go out in the heat and check my own plugs. Well maybe I will wait for the shade!
My truck sits in the weather as well - but almost pretty much level. So anther data point to be had

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
This was an issue with the F150s, too but they always included engine covers no matter what trim level.

I have not noticed any issues for mine but next time I get it washed I'll bring a baking sheet and some paper towels and hope nobody sees me put a god damn baking sheet over my engine...
Sponsored