Water in spark plug investigation

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
IMG_20220905_064628.jpg

On mine , ANY water that goes down the slots maked in red , INSTANTLY drains out the push rivet , i blocked those holes and moved them back away so they drain before they get there , the center where the trims join is the HIGHEST POINT of the metal underneath , water 3 inches either way drains back and down and away from the high point... cost me 80 bucks caused i slipped with me Dremal and hacked it up ...
Splendid photoshop.

Seriously though, what's the 4 black lines supposed to represent?

Reactions: Doc

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
Well this is quite the bummer

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I live in the northwest where it rains a lot, so I'll be watching these threads for possible fixes for when I get mine. I don't consider the engine cover as the solution, but rather, find a way to get the water to quit dripping on the engine in the first place.

Last edited:

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Others trucks don't seem to be leaking , which baffles the poo out if me , water and gravity and the factory draining method should all work the same way , why my truck leak but others don't? That drive shaft video where it looks like a twizzler under there , why his truck do that and mine don't? Exactly the same driveshaft in all Rangers I assume ?

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
adding to the videos

so we’ve got a light steady drizzle here in Western Maine today

MY22 ordered Mar 22 delivered Jun 22 with factory rake

Last edited:

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
adding to the videos

MY22 ordered Mar 22 delivered Jun 22

I thought the engine cover was supposed to mitigate the problem.. looks like it is going behind it in the video?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
adding to the videos

MY22 ordered Mar 22 delivered Jun 22

Is any water on yours getting to the drain holes i have circled red above ?

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
had some heavy rain here in western ohio this morning. my 2019 xlt fx4 lives outside year round and i squeezed the plastic bits to check that spongey material. sure enough, it oozed a little water, but not a lot. looking at the engine bay, i couldn't really find any evidence that it was pooling anywhere along the spark plugs.

the truck is basically all stock, and faces ever so slightly downhill (hardly at all).

i've got 48k miles on the clock and i've never gotten any kind of an error code for a misfiring cylinder, or anything like that. seems to be fine.

variables i've considered:
- if you park outside, has any trees debris gotten down into the vents and caused a clog of some kind that would disrupt the flow of water?
- of those having issues, how many use automatic car washes? those things put down some significant water under pressure onto the truck. could this have caused an issue?

is this less of an issue if someone created better sealing coilovers?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Others trucks don't seem to be leaking , which baffles the poo out if me , water and gravity and the factory draining method should all work the same way , why my truck leak but others don't? That drive shaft video where it looks like a twizzler under there , why his truck do that and mine don't? Exactly the same driveshaft in all Rangers I assume ?
The other thing that baffles me is why in the OP the spark plug nearest the drip was fine, and the front one furthest away was rusted? Weird.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has made it obvious in the past couple years how little they care for the ranger.

Barely saw it advertised when it came out, any time the ceo had a TV "interview" you'd see all the models in the background except for the ranger. Any commerical would show all the models except for, yup, the ranger.

They're done providing support for this gen ranger.
I think (which is sketchy at best :wink:) once Ford starts replacing MORE complete head assemblies for this issue, they'll figure out that engine covers are a cheap fix in the long run. Just my 2 cents...

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
The other thing that baffles me is why in the OP the spark plug nearest the drip was fine, and the front one furthest away was rusted? Weird.
I don't get that either , should be 3 and 4 , not 1 or 2 ... has to be a different way water is getting into #1 , I don't see how a drip back there gets that far forward ? , maybe #1's issues are a different source of water ? ??? have to mount a damn camera in there to be sure ...
Sponsored