XLT to Lariat Headlamp Upgrade

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
When we bought or Ranger we decided that the XLT was the right choice for us. We HATED the dash on the Lariat, didn't want/need the leather seating, and the push button start is more of an annoyance for my wife on her job. The only thing that we really wanted were the headlamps that are on the Lariat. I did a bunch of research and decided that we weren't going to be happy replacing the XLT headlamp bulbs with LED's. I had LED's replacements in the past and always had issues with beam pattern. Also, our Ranger lives in the dirt 75% of the time and running with no dust-covers isn't an option. We decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the Lariat headlamps. It's not cheap but since I work at a Ford dealer I can get them a whole lot cheaper than retail. Now we have a Ranger that is no longer missing the only thing we regretted not having. If any forum members would like to order the Lariat headlamp assemblies then message me and I will get you the best deal out there. Here is a video of the installation. Sorry if the quality isn't the best, I don't do a lot of Youtube videos.
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool. So it's literally just plug n' play? No wiring differences or anything? I'm very tempted to do this, but may wait until there's a wrecked Ranger to buy the set off of, because I can only imagine what this must cost even with a discount.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I originally wanted the XLT but ended up with a Lariat. Ford really needs to point out the differences between the models better. The LED lights were one of the requirements I had as were a few other things which made me choose the Lariat. Having owned some pretty spartan trucks I wanted some luxury in this one and I'm very happy with it.

Kind of neat that you were able to upgrade the lighting. How expensive was it?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Keeping in mind that they specifically price these parts so it's cheaper for you to buy them retail than to piece together the kit later.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Keeping in mind that they specifically price these parts so it's cheaper for you to buy them retail than to piece together the kit later.
Also because 1) the customers are generally insurance companies in a captive market and 2) they don't really want people buying up the spare parts inventory.

TL;DR:
they're not really trying to sell them

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very cool. So it's literally just plug n' play? No wiring differences or anything? I'm very tempted to do this, but may wait until there's a wrecked Ranger to buy the set off of, because I can only imagine what this must cost even with a discount.
Yes sir, they are completely plug and play. The first thing I did was look up the wiring diagram to see if there was a different set up between the Lariat and the XLT, there wasn't. It looks as though everything is done in the headlamp assy itself. For example, on the XLT/XL, when you hit the high beams your low beam bulb shuts off and your high beam bulb turns on. On the Lariat, a shutter in the projector activates to switch to high beam. This is why (besides the price) I didn't do the same upgrade with my 2016 F-150. On the F-150 it's not plug and play, you need harnesses and other crap.

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This should get you in the ballpark. Better be committed for this upgrade. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/headlamps/headlamp-assy-9346107-1

Capture.PNG
I can sell them to forum members for about $480 cheaper per side ($960 cheaper for the pair) than the price listed in your post. Also, if you are out of state (I'm in California) then you wouldn't pay any sales tax but there would be shipping involved. Yes, at around $2150 for the pair it isn't the cheapest upgrade but probably (subjective of course) one of the best upgrades we have done on our Ranger.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I can sell them to forum members for about $480 cheaper per side ($960 cheaper for the pair) than the price listed in your post. Also, if you are out of state (I'm in California) then you wouldn't pay any sales tax but there would be shipping involved. Yes, at around $2150 for the pair it isn't the cheapest upgrade but probably (subjective of course) one of the best upgrades we have done on our Ranger.
That is significant, had I had an opportunity like that with the Focus to do the projector lights, I'd have done it.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the discount. I’m gonna hold out to see if I can find it on a wrecked one in a year or so. For $2k, I would’ve just got a Lariat in the first place. Thanks though.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Appreciate the discount. I’m gonna hold out to see if I can find it on a wrecked one in a year or so. For $2k, I would’ve just got a Lariat in the first place. Thanks though.
Exactly what I was going to say and what I did. I bought a Lariat that did not have a lot of options and it was quite close in price to the XLT.

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly what I was going to say and what I did. I bought a Lariat that did not have a lot of options and it was quite close in price to the XLT.
Yes, this will not be for everyone. $2000 is a lot of money. Let's be honest, if you option out an XLT and a Lariat the same way then you are looking at about a $3500+ difference in price. This is more of an option for the people, like ourselves, who didn't want a lot of the options that came with the Lariat but wanted the headlights. This might be a great option for those XL owners with the STX package. Again, $2000 is a lot of money, but I have had a lot of great help from this forum and I am just trying to give back to the forum members who might be interested in heading down this road.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Yes, this will not be for everyone. $2000 is a lot of money. Let's be honest, if you option out an XLT and a Lariat the same way then you are looking at about a $3500+ difference in price. This is more of an option for the people, like ourselves, who didn't want a lot of the options that came with the Lariat but wanted the headlights. This might be a great option for those XL owners with the STX package. Again, $2000 is a lot of money, but I have had a lot of great help from this forum and I am just trying to give back to the forum members who might be interested in heading down this road.
I wanted the XLT up until I found out it didn't have the LED headlights or the sliding rear window. The dealer I went to did not have an XLT but he did have a Lariat without a lot of extras, I went that route because I never had a truck that wasn't spartan.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I wanted the XLT up until I found out it didn't have the LED headlights or the sliding rear window. The dealer I went to did not have an XLT but he did have a Lariat without a lot of extras, I went that route because I never had a truck that wasn't spartan.
I kinda like dollar replacement bulbs and ten dollar replacement headlights.
Although my 2001 just left the yard with all original bulbs except one driving light damaged by road debris, so it may not matter much.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
302A package adds sliding rear window in the XLT. Still no LED headlights though.
Sponsored