The Dreaded Water in Spark Plugs (TSB 21-2147)

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Pretty much my experience too today.

Had to pay like $200 to replace rusty plug and coil boot. No engine cover provided under TSB or warranty. I'll need to buy that on my own.

Yea I'm a little pissed at how this truck was made and how they won't fix this after. Pretty much have a truck I can't wash or drive in the rain
Or as I did just PARK in the rain.
Sponsored

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
1000005013.jpg

Gave the Yeti a bath today and the driveway is on an incline. Popped the hood after hitting the windshield to see how the new engine cover was helping, and wouldn't you know... success!

it actually hit the grill at the front, the surface tension brought it to the right, down between the vents to the rubber washer and bolt where it finally fell through, well in front of all the plugs

1000005015.jpg

Just inside the hole on the left is the last plug, it's falling in well in front of that. I'll continue to check here and there but this appears to keep water off the plugs and the top of the motor where they sit

*ETA - I may do another mod where I cut the nubs separating the first row of vents and slip another row of edge seal in there to push the water left/right away from the vents, or at least one nub to push it away from the last plug 😎

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone here have issues with water in the plugs who already had the Ford engine cover?

I am wondering how concerned I need to be about this. I have noticed the plastic rivet area where the two windshield plastic cowl pieces join. It does look like a weak point in water diversion. I can see how some water could seep though.

I have the engine cover. I checked the engine area and cover after a night parked outside in a downpour, and after recent truck washings. No water intrusion. But after my mouse incident, where I removed the plastic cowl to add screen to the HVAC intake, I am now looking at other preventative measures for other weak points in Ford's design.

The foam pipe insulation route seems easy enough. I am concerned about its heat tolerance. What if the insulation came loose and fell on a hot part of the engine? Home hot water is 130'F or slightly hotter. The engine's metal parts will be closer to 200'F.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
Anyone here have issues with water in the plugs who already had the Ford engine cover?

I am wondering how concerned I need to be about this. I have noticed the plastic rivet area where the two windshield plastic cowl pieces join. It does look like a weak point in water diversion. I can see how some water could seep though.

I have the engine cover. I checked the engine area and cover after a night parked outside in a downpour, and after recent truck washings. No water intrusion. But after my mouse incident, where I removed the plastic cowl to add screen to the HVAC intake, I am now looking at other preventative measures for other weak points in Ford's design.

The foam pipe insulation route seems easy enough. I am concerned about its heat tolerance. What if the insulation came loose and fell on a hot part of the engine? Home hot water is 130'F or slightly hotter. The engine's metal parts will be closer to 200'F.
I've had the foam rubber piping on mine for several...4-5 months I guess, and it has not come off or loosen up. Heat part....don't know what temp tolerance is, but not something I worry about.
For info, there are 2 types of the pipe insulation, a "Styrofoam" type and a closed foam rubber type.
I used the rubber type. It has a slit lengthwise, and the slit edges have a mild sticky adhesive on the edges...helps to hold it on (clean the plastic cowl before installing it)

Reactions: EJH

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT

The foam is on there pretty good with a little sticky, I just put that on there to show people a cheaper, better way than the engine cover...
I actually sealed my cowl and bolted it together, tossing those plastic rivets , water never gets to engine in the first place ...

mm10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SC FX4
The engine cover is not needed to keep the water out , a piece of foam pipe insulation does a much better job ...

1696375771060.png
Is this a real fix? First I’m hearing about this issue and would like to be preventative if possible

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Is this a real fix? First I’m hearing about this issue and would like to be preventative if possible
Anything you can do to divert the rain water from dripping down to the engine is beneficial.

This issue is not on every truck, it depends on how and where you park, I do not have the issue but did perform preventive maintenance and add Anti-Sieze to the plugs

mm10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SC FX4
Anything you can do to divert the rain water from dripping down to the engine is beneficial.

This issue is not on every truck, it depends on how and where you park, I do not have the issue but did perform preventive maintenance and add Anti-Sieze to the plugs
Gotcha, thanks. What’s the noted ‘bad’ way to park that folks are seeing linked to the issue? And can do anti seize at some point, how much of a pain are plugs on this motor?

OP
OP
Gizmokid2005

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha, thanks. What’s the noted ‘bad’ way to park that folks are seeing linked to the issue? And can do anti seize at some point, how much of a pain are plugs on this motor?
At least for me, it seems nose down is the worst offender because of the roof -> windshield -> cowl -> engine pathway.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Plugs are easy as long as no corrosion in the wells, the only part that can be an issue is getting the COP Boot back on the plug, it’s a by feel only and can be easy to get the boot beside the plug instead of on the plug.
Do NOTE that the service manuals do not state adding Anti-Seize - this is outside the manual and a owners way to absolve any issues getting them out.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
It's the laziest and cheapest way to divert the water 💧 , if you park nose downhill in the rain , it's an issue ... I also sealed my cowl and bolted it tight instead of those plastic push rivets, and I park inside a garage so it doesn't even really effect mine , just the thought of it dripping water annoyed me I guess , plus I want this Ranger to last forever, even if I don't...

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
48k miles. I finally bought an engine cover, and will change the plugs this weekend. Hope to not see any issues.

Also going to change the trans fluid next week, along with oil change. After all that, going to have to go get dirty.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I thought I was having the transmission problem, but the diagnosis from the shop is in, and it turns out I have this problem. Yay. Going to have to pay something, but I'm working every possible avenue to cut that amount. Currently checking with my extended warranty (Triton Protect) to see what they'll do.

There will probably also be a phone call to Ford Customer Care about this. As with the transmission, this is caused by a design defect. It's not the customer's fault that it takes awhile to manifest.

OP
OP
Gizmokid2005

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I was having the transmission problem, but the diagnosis from the shop is in, and it turns out I have this problem. Yay. Going to have to pay something, but I'm working every possible avenue to cut that amount. Currently checking with my extended warranty (Triton Protect) to see what they'll do.

There will probably also be a phone call to Ford Customer Care about this. As with the transmission, this is caused by a design defect. It's not the customer's fault that it takes awhile to manifest.
According to my dealer, even with the ESP, they had to eat the cost of the cover
Sponsored