Walter Alvarez

First Name
Walter Alvarez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hello All,
First off I want to apologize for getting so emotional when I originally posted. I'm mostly new to forums and, usually, when I visit one, it is to get some information only. I rarely post. Since I posted (for the first time)I have learned a lot about forum etiquette from you folks. Most importantly, don't be too sensitive when the locals are vetting you. I apologize and I am also grateful that I wasn't jettisoned from the forum. I had promised a few people that I would start a new thread once things were resolved. Well...here it is.
My Ranger started to misfire, so I brought it into the service department of the dealership where I had purchased it. I was told that the spark plug well was corroded, so severely, that they damaged the cylinder head when they removed the plug. The bill was ~$5K, and I needed to purchase an engine cover? No one told me of an engine cover. Apparently, there was a technical service bulletin 21-2147 that, basically, voided my power train and extended warranties for any damage done due to the cover not being installed. Ford offered to cover 60% of the cost, but I declined. I was furious! I felt they should cover the entire cost because I was never informed of a TSB 21-2147. In fact, my service advisor was unaware of the TSB until I brought my Ranger in for the repair. I went back and forth with my dealership and Ford Motor for two and a half weeks, which was all I could take, and so I gave in.
I waited a month for parts, but they kept having problems with supply chain and technician availability. I called a lawyer to see if a buy back was an option. At the same time, that afternoon (last Wednesday), I made a raving mad, inappropriate, post to this forum. I didn't realize everyone thought I was a troll or "sock puppet" (learned that one here) trying to stir up fear. It was explained to me, in a very sincere way, and now I completely understand. Eventually, someone challenged me (lightly) to post the name of my service advisor and his extension. That was Thursday afternoon. Welp...what can I say but thank you all so very much! I get a call Friday morning from my service advisor telling me that my Ranger is ready to go and they are honoring the warranty 100% They even threw in the engine cover, oil change and deductible! $0.00 you'll see on the service receipt. How? My service advisor asked me about some phone calls, and then I realized, it had to be the folks from this forum.
In the past, I would come here to get ideas for my Ranger, like my center console vault and phone holder. I was also coming here to see what I wanted to do next to my ride, like wheels rims (which I did, already), storage, lights, racks and most importantly, dampers! (I didn't know I needed that) However, I never expected to come here and get actual back up! I promise to stay active on this forum and if anybody needs a phone call to their service advisor; I promise to be polite but firm with them.
My sincerest gratitude, Walt

spark_plug-well.JPG

service_contract.jpeg

service_contract-2.jpeg

engine_cover.jpeg

Ranger_n_me.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ebob9

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Supercab
Occupation
Professional Lurker
I'm glad they made you whole. It was the right thing to do.

I've previously had good experiences with Ford Store Morgan Hill. They were the only dealer in the entire south Bay Area that would allow me to order and install one of the Ford Performance Ranger Kits (M-RANGER-FP2 was what I went with.)

Your original story was making me reconsider doing some future vehicle orders there. Glad it got sorted.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it all worked out. I only play a lawyer in Internet forums but I'd venture to say there would be little standing on the part of the dealer to try and place blame on you for not completing a non-recall related upgrade to correct an issue the manufacturer has identified as a defect in a change they themselves made to their own original design and product. Whether or not the gang here helped the dealer come to their senses or not, they were ultimately going to lose that battle. And your case essentially puts to rest once and for all the argument as to whether or not that cover was just for show or served an actual deliberate purpose.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Damn it Walter ! What am I supposed to do now ?
giphy (5).gif

But thanks to your issue , I went and did a water check on mine , sure enough, water dripping on the plugs (I suspect they All leak there ) anyway , working on sealing mine since the covers can't be found...

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Damn it Walter ! What am I supposed to do now ?
giphy (5).gif

But thanks to your issue , I went and did a water check on mine , sure enough, water dripping on the plugs (I suspect they All leak there ) anyway , working on sealing mine since the covers can't be found...
I'm sure a search will show you a couple of places that claim to still have engine covers, and a couple of members that have purchased them recently.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I don't really want the cover , it doesn't stop the water leak ...
Too bad the mustang cover doesn't fit. It looks much better than what they put on our trucks.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Walter, glad you got is sorted out and resolved. Your timing for that post on here was coinciding with another member that is no longer with us that likes to stir the pot constantly. He got bumped and then your post shows up. Lots of us thought, here we go again! ? Didn’t take long and we saw that indeed you were legit and definitely having some issues. That’s when the request for contact info was dropped. One thing about this 5G family, when in need we’re there for each other!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
How much different could it be ? I thought it was the same engine?
1661777231818.png

This one does have stripes added but this the mustang cover

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
1661777231818.png

doesn't look like the same engine ?
1661777231818.png

20220829_090556.jpg

I just went and looked at mine , there are some covered studs (little caps on them ) and a few unused threaded holes , I think it would mount , BUT , the Mustang must have different oil fill and dipstick location, the big round holes don't jive up ... IMO the cover just relocates the drip , I'm interested in stopping the leak , which appears to be where the cowl vents come together , I may black light it if mine comes back...

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
doesn't look like the same engine ?

20220829_090556.jpg

I just went and looked at mine , there are some covered studs (little caps on them ) and a few unused threaded holes , I think it would mount , BUT , the Mustang must have different oil fill and dipstick location, the big round holes don't jive up ... IMO the cover just relocates the drip , I'm interested in stopping the leak , which appears to be where the cowl vents come together , I may black light it if mine comes back...
That's what I was thinking. A few minor differences so it wouldn't fit without major surgery

Sleepy_Hollow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
USN
Ordered the cover and didn't know it didn't come with bots.......Anyone know thread pitch? I plan to get them from ACE hardware.
Sponsored