Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
my 2020 does have the cover ??
Oh No , the dreaded email just came in :(

"Unfortunately, we've been informed by the manufacturer that the part you ordered is currently unavailable. We have canceled, and refunded your order.
Please allow 3-5 business days for the refund to post to your credit card.

PART #

L1MZ-6A949-A1

Our apologies for any inconvenience,

Quirk Parts"
Sponsored

DenyBlueXL

First Name
Deny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Occupation
None
Oh No , the dreaded email just came in :(

"Unfortunately, we've been informed by the manufacturer that the part you ordered is currently unavailable. We have canceled, and refunded your order.
Please allow 3-5 business days for the refund to post to your credit card.

PART #

L1MZ-6A949-A1

Our apologies for any inconvenience,

Quirk Parts"
You could Try Oroville Ford in Calif they still might have one. As of Monday 8/29 morning there was one in stock at https://www.orovilleford.com

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Hello All,
First off I want to apologize for getting so emotional when I originally posted. I'm mostly new to forums and, usually, when I visit one, it is to get some information only. I rarely post. Since I posted (for the first time)I have learned a lot about forum etiquette from you folks. Most importantly, don't be too sensitive when the locals are vetting you. I apologize and I am also grateful that I wasn't jettisoned from the forum. I had promised a few people that I would start a new thread once things were resolved. Well...here it is.
My Ranger started to misfire, so I brought it into the service department of the dealership where I had purchased it. I was told that the spark plug well was corroded, so severely, that they damaged the cylinder head when they removed the plug. The bill was ~$5K, and I needed to purchase an engine cover? No one told me of an engine cover. Apparently, there was a technical service bulletin 21-2147 that, basically, voided my power train and extended warranties for any damage done due to the cover not being installed. Ford offered to cover 60% of the cost, but I declined. I was furious! I felt they should cover the entire cost because I was never informed of a TSB 21-2147. In fact, my service advisor was unaware of the TSB until I brought my Ranger in for the repair. I went back and forth with my dealership and Ford Motor for two and a half weeks, which was all I could take, and so I gave in.
I waited a month for parts, but they kept having problems with supply chain and technician availability. I called a lawyer to see if a buy back was an option. At the same time, that afternoon (last Wednesday), I made a raving mad, inappropriate, post to this forum. I didn't realize everyone thought I was a troll or "sock puppet" (learned that one here) trying to stir up fear. It was explained to me, in a very sincere way, and now I completely understand. Eventually, someone challenged me (lightly) to post the name of my service advisor and his extension. That was Thursday afternoon. Welp...what can I say but thank you all so very much! I get a call Friday morning from my service advisor telling me that my Ranger is ready to go and they are honoring the warranty 100% They even threw in the engine cover, oil change and deductible! $0.00 you'll see on the service receipt. How? My service advisor asked me about some phone calls, and then I realized, it had to be the folks from this forum.
In the past, I would come here to get ideas for my Ranger, like my center console vault and phone holder. I was also coming here to see what I wanted to do next to my ride, like wheels rims (which I did, already), storage, lights, racks and most importantly, dampers! (I didn't know I needed that) However, I never expected to come here and get actual back up! I promise to stay active on this forum and if anybody needs a phone call to their service advisor; I promise to be polite but firm with them.
My sincerest gratitude, Walt

spark_plug-well.JPG

service_contract.jpeg

service_contract-2.jpeg

engine_cover.jpeg

Ranger_n_me.jpeg
Well great!!
Too bad it took someone else to step in to correct what is clearly Ford’s responsibility.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
What? No, no, no. None of those. Not even close Mike.

It’s the Global Precision Parking Positioning System. It’s only needed on Sabre Rangers. It’s standard equipment on the Sabre Lariat but you can turn it off in Forscan, which I think @Tracy Bowman did.
Reminds me of this song.
"Little Bunny Foo-Foo hopping through the forest...." (The Wiggles version, anyway)

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if it's true, but a friend of my 2nd cousin, twice removed, who read it on the internet, said that a few Ranger owners took off their hoods so the paint on the new engine covers they installed would dry and forgot to put the hoods back on, thus allowing h2o to accumulate and cause damage to various and sundry engine parts thereby voiding the 2nd part of the Ford warranty. So being not sure if this is true, could someone who has read their Ford warranty explain what the 2nd part of the warranty entails?
Hood? You got a HOOD? Rats! I knew they were pulling my leg telling me the hood was optional.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Back to the real issue. I don't see how an unexecuted TSB falls on the owner. It is a design issue. Ford does not send out notices to owners about TSB's, as they do for recalls. They just 'wait and see' if the problem occurs, then perform the TSB. Maybe we should go to Ford service and demand all listed TSB's be performed, needed or not. But who wants to have their truck sit there for weeks?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Back to the real issue. I don't see how an unexecuted TSB falls on the owner. It is a design issue. Ford does not send out notices to owners about TSB's, as they do for recalls. They just 'wait and see' if the problem occurs, then perform the TSB. Maybe we should go to Ford service and demand all listed TSB's be performed, needed or not. But who wants to have their truck sit there for weeks?
You would probably have to print them all out as PROOF they exist.
I went in last week and the guy I talked to was able to find both this one and the hesitation issue one. BUT, he wasn't the CSR that handled it the 1st time I came in for the hesitation.
When Don called me back he was totally clueless as to what I was talking about - and the guy I had talked to in person said he emailed him the TSBs.
The guy in store was a younger, Don is your classic old timer (LOL probably younger than me) that assumes no one except himself knows anything about cars.

its_ikon

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT 4x4
Does this TSB only cover certain years? My 22 Ranger does not have an engine cover and TSB seems to only mention up to 21

5.0 Junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT FX4
Don't want to hijack but just sold my 22 FX4. Have a like new cover/studs. On truck for 1000 miles max. Prefer not to ship as threw box away. PM if interested.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Added a Ford OEM Engine cover in Oct. 2022 after owing the Ranger for a little over 2 yrs. and no rust in the plug wells. Has anyone experienced any moisture sitting in your plug wells after a Ford OEM Engine cover came originally with your truck or after one was installed later?

After (best).jpg

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Added a Ford OEM Engine cover in Oct. 2022 after owing the Ranger for a little over 2 yrs. and no rust in the plug wells. Has anyone experienced any moisture sitting in your plug wells after a Ford OEM Engine cover came originally with your truck or after one was installed later?

After (best).jpg
That looks like a mismatch for the age of the rest of the plastics under your hood (especially since you have no moisture issues after 2 years). I would suggest either removing it and selling to a 2022 owner, or painting it Ford blue. ;)

Will be glad to PM my address if you choose the former.

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!
It doesn't look like Ford will install an engine cover for you until they see water and corrosion in the spark plug areas, and you have codes. That is messed up IMO to not resolve a potential problem until it occurs.
Sponsored