Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Bringing back an old post.

About to pull the trigger on this; anyone end up removing or swapping to another tuner. If so, why?

Pretty sure I'm gonna run a mild tune most of the time. Extra power, nothing silly power increase wise, but some with the transmission tweaks.

Super happy with the speed they answer stupid questions so far. Very responsive.
Mine was a complete bummer but I'm definitely in the minority.

It's still on the shelf and I will never install it again.

It bricked my truck more times than I can count and I fear it will get to the point where it can't be recovered so I consider it an expensive lesson learned.
Sponsored

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine was a complete bummer but I'm definitely in the minority.

It's still on the shelf and I will never install it again.

It bricked my truck more times than I can count and I fear it will get to the point where it can't be recovered so I consider it an expensive lesson learned.
How did you bring it back from a brick state anyway?

Reactions: Doc

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
How did you bring it back from a brick state anyway?
The tuner backs up your stock program when you load it.

When mine was bricked, each time I used the recovery mode (which usually failed at least 2 or 3 times) and eventually got it back.

It seemed to be progressively getting worse so I decided I was done with it before it permanently bricked my truck.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The tuner backs up your stock program when you load it.

When mine was bricked, each time I used the recovery mode (which usually failed at least 2 or 3 times) and eventually got it back.

It seemed to be progressively getting worse so I decided I was done with it before it permanently bricked my truck.
Not to be pedantic, but you didn't actually brick your truck. Sounds like just a failed load of a tune. Bricking means it is completely dead (as useful as a brick) and cannot be revived. The only option for a bricked electronic device is replacement.

If I had to guess, I'd guess you maybe had a slightly low battery or something when you were trying to load the tune. These computers are EXTREMELY sensitive to even small dips in voltage. Hooking up a small trickle charger can help with that, assuming the battery is fully charged when you start.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Anyone have the Torque app? I am running 93 Oct performance tune. It says requested torque 375.... Is this legit? So I'm assuming the tune is making that power?
Not to be pedantic, but you didn't actually brick your truck. Sounds like just a failed load of a tune. Bricking means it is completely dead (as useful as a brick) and cannot be revived. The only option for a bricked electronic device is replacement.

If I had to guess, I'd guess you maybe had a slightly low battery or something when you were trying to load the tune. These computers are EXTREMELY sensitive to even small dips in voltage. Hooking up a small trickle charger can help with that, assuming the battery is fully charged when you start.
There is an ongoing issue with 'out of date' firmware on these calibrators also. Shore Power is a must IMO - will need more than a 'trickle charger as Ranger draws at least 1.5a or more when in the 'ON' position.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

I called it bricked because it gets the point across that the truck was completely dead.

I understand that in reality "Bricked" means that it can't be recovered but after repeated failures when trying to recover I certainly thought it was truly bricked.

And it was on a charger during loading after the first grand experience, which required a trip to the dealer to clear a Crankshaft Position error code.

After many calls to them and following instructions to the letter, it still failed with boring regularity so I gave up on it.

I'll change my terminology to "Nuked" since nuking is very bad but can eventually be recovered from.

It Nuked my truck on multiple occasions.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I called it bricked because it gets the point across that the truck was completely dead.

I understand that in reality "Bricked" means that it can't be recovered but after repeated failures when trying to recover I certainly thought it was truly bricked.

And it was on a charger during loading after the first grand experience, which required a trip to the dealer to clear a Crankshaft Position error code.

After many calls to them and following instructions to the letter, it still failed with boring regularity so I gave up on it.

I'll change my terminology to "Nuked" since nuking is very bad but can eventually be recovered from.

It Nuked my truck on multiple occasions.

My mistake - that is a bummer it didn't work for you.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
So some comments in this thread say it comes with the tunes but on their website it says you have to email them after receiving the tuner to get them? It's a whole process with a tune request form and a "strategy code" and transmission code?

Also keep referring to the 91-93 tune, that is not two separate tunes? I ask cause I simply cannot get 93 here. I drove 20 miles to a station that was supposed to have it and nada, only 91.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
You will get the tunes after you receive the tuner.

Basically, they apparently need to know which tune strategy your truck came with from the factory so that they can provide you with tunes for that particular map.

You will get 5 separate tunes:

91-93 Performance
91-93 Soft Shift
87-89 Performance
87-89 Soft Shift
Towing

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
So some comments in this thread say it comes with the tunes but on their website it says you have to email them after receiving the tuner to get them? It's a whole process with a tune request form and a "strategy code" and transmission code?

Also keep referring to the 91-93 tune, that is not two separate tunes? I ask cause I simply cannot get 93 here. I drove 20 miles to a station that was supposed to have it and nada, only 91.
Yes, the 91-93 is for 91+ octane.

You will receive the device without tunes. Take it to a computer, plug it in and let it update firmware. Then, go to the truck, plug it in and let it get the strategy and other information it needs. It will also download your stock tune file to the device. Then, go back to the computer and connect again. It will send your stock file to Livernois for backup purposes and you can request the tune files you want. A day or so later, you should get an email letting you know they're ready. Plug the device into the computer again and download.

That's a summary from memory. My memory sucks. Follow whatever directions they send you with the device.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
You will get the tunes after you receive the tuner.

Basically, they apparently need to know which tune strategy your truck came with from the factory so that they can provide you with tunes for that particular map.

You will get 5 separate tunes:

91-93 Performance
91-93 Soft Shift
87-89 Performance
87-89 Soft Shift
Towing
Yes, the 91-93 is for 91+ octane.

You will receive the device without tunes. Take it to a computer, plug it in and let it update firmware. Then, go to the truck, plug it in and let it get the strategy and other information it needs. It will also download your stock tune file to the device. Then, go back to the computer and connect again. It will send your stock file to Livernois for backup purposes and you can request the tune files you want. A day or so later, you should get an email letting you know they're ready. Plug the device into the computer again and download.

That's a summary from memory. My memory sucks. Follow whatever directions they send you with the device.
Ok cool. I'm late to this party, the price went up $100 and now it's only available for backorder.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Ok cool. I'm late to this party, the price went up $100 and now it's only available for backorder.
Worth the wait. Personally a fan of the soft shift versions!
Sponsored