I’m thinking of a 6 speed manual. Thoughts?

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I'm not sure how much of the ROW cab made it into the US cab, I know the fenders and bed box are different. But if the Cab was a copy/paste from ROW that was out for years before the US model's release, perhaps the support for manual pedals was also carried over, just not used in the US. I agree the Bronco trans that supports the engine and transfer case would be the best option there. I'm guessing it likely need to run the Bronco manual PCM if it talks to all the Rangers modules correctly, unless the "as built"/configuration information in the Ranger PCM can be updated to support the manual trans and not have errors all over for missing sensors and such. If the Ranger PCM supports that as part of just common code from other models I don't know, but it's likely undocumented territory since there is no official Ranger manual with the 2.3T that I know of for the 5G Ranger. As for shifter center control parts that may vary from auto to manual, likely just buy the European Ranger manual bits as they may just bolt in (you would need to research that) if the cab was a copy/paste as I would hope. Maybe need to weld in a missing nut here or there at worst if they did copy/paste.

Also, I'm not sure about the Bronco, but the European Ranger 6-spd has a 4.55:1 final drive instead of 3.73:1 or 3.55:1 the 10-spd auto gets over there.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I would like one, I know they are available in other countries, but I've only seen it with the Diesel, is the 2.3T gas engine sold in another country with the 6 speed?

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
If it's a two wheel drive you could use a Mustang as a donor vehicle.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Take it to Roush in Livonia, MI along with your lottery winnings.

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Because the number of people who will actually give them money for it (smaller than the number of anonymous internet users that say they want one) won't cover the cost of certifying, building, maintaining parts supply, etc. Manuals are dead on new platforms except for models with specific niche demographics or absolute bottom end cost-driven vehicles.
They've got one used in the Bronco, so all of that certifying, building, maintaining stuff is happening already. Same engine and similar platform. Bronco is a newer platform than the Ranger, and it's definitely not dead.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of reports from bronco owners about that new manual box being a turd..
So if you do the swap you'll just be trading one turd for another?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
They've got one used in the Bronco, so all of that certifying, building, maintaining stuff is happening already. Same engine and similar platform. Bronco is a newer platform than the Ranger, and it's definitely not dead.
bronco, like the wrangler, is expected to be one of the models with a higher than average proportion of manual enthusiasts as I alluded to originally. (take rate is estimated around 15% vs <1% for the industry as a whole.) ranger isn't.

And no, the certifying, building, maintaining, etc isn't happening already. Just because something's on the same platform doesn't mean that packaging changes don't need to happen (even something as stupid as a different pedal to match design aesthetic, etc). Every option added to the vehicle has an ongoing cost in complexity from the manufacturing line, suppliers, etc. It's a simple economic question of whether the income exceeds the cost, and the answer seems to be "no" in basically all cases for manual transmissions these days.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT
The easiest/cheapest way would likely be to just buy a vehicle with a manual. You might be able to do a swap from a Bronco, and might after a long and intensive set of work setup either a Bronco ECU/TCU to work with the Ranger, or get the Ranger ECU/TCU to work like a Bronco manual, but neither is going to be cheap, and it means you have a vehicle that won't have much if any resale.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I would probably start by talking to some of the Ranger tuners out there and get their opinion from the electronics side of things.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Lots of reports from bronco owners about that new manual box being a turd..
Is that so surprising? The last Ford/Getrag manual was pretty stinky too.

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
Ok. So here’s the thing. I have a velocity blue 21 XLT 4x4. I drive 60,000 miles a year around central Florida. I love rowing my own gears and blowing out carbon. Oh and daily triples may be on the agenda. Are the parts available. If anybody has some ideas let’s hear them.
I THINK YOU SHOULD FIRST SMASH YOUR GENITALS WITH A BALL PEAN HAMMER AND THEN RE-THINK WHAT YOU ARE MEANING TO DO.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
With those miles, you're driving 3 hours plus a day, every day.
what do you do to find time to take this truck off the road and modify it heavily enough to put in a whole different gearbox?
Personally it sounds like someone smoked a lot of happy grass, but have at it if you got the means.

I'm not likely to follow this thread as I dont think it'll go far.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
The 5g ranger and the new Bronco are on different electrical architecture designs. The 6g will be on a more compatible electrical platform. That being said, the 5g swap would be pretty straight forward. Transmission and transfer case would bolt in from a Bronco and might require a cross member adapter and maybe a custom shifter. The pedal box would be a mystery, but I would begin with one out of a 2015-2017 mustang out of a scrap yard and explore from there. You might have to Frankenstein something. Tuning should be straightforward with an HPTuner license, but you would have to do that yourself or find a tuner that would help you make your own changes. Like someone mentioned, you just change one value to turn off the automatic transmission side of things in most ECU's.

With that being said, you would pay a fortune for a custom shop to do it. I would swap to a manual Jeep Gladiator/Wrangler, Ford Bronco or a Toyota Tacoma as a daily driver if it is indeed a daily driver.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
The 5G ranger ROTW uses the Ford Mt-82 manual (same as the Mustang), except the ones assembled for Mexico (5 speed). One would need the MT-82 with flange to attach transfer case. In forscan, one can see that switching from auto to manual tuning is a matter of checking the right box (I have seen it, so no biggie there). What would be different is the plastic bits on the center console, the 4WD switch, the trailer tow/locker/etc switch bank is also on a different location than on the US Rangers. Sourcing the parts would have to be done through foreign Ford Parts dealers. As for third pedals and slave cylinders, any will do; but one would also need front and rear driveshafts because I bet the MT-82 is shorter in length (so shorter front shaft/longer rear shaft). Doable...just add money. I wish I had the $$$, I bet our 5G ranger would be a hoot to drive with a 6-speed manual
Axle ratio has nothing to do with the equation since speedometer feeds from wheel speed sensors; besides, with 310 ft/lbs of torque at 3k rpm, there's no need for lower final ratio to "handle"a manual. My old gen3 Ranger had the baby six with 180 ft/lbs of torque and 3:73 gears and it turned 31" tires with no issues with the old Mazda R-5 box
Sponsored