Please help me - Thinking of getting a Ranger

Deleted member 1634

Even ignoring the NVH issues of a jeep on the highway, I think you're either underestimating or misremembering how much of a PITA it is to drive a manual in an hour long stop and go commute. :) The traditional reason to put up with that pain would be fuel economy...but it's a jeep. I'm also generally a proponent of keeping what you've got, but if someone's unhappy commuting in a jeep (understandable), doesn't use the jeep for jeeping, and can get into something else for basically no money and lower operational costs, it's a no-brainer--the only thing to argue about is what to switch into. Let someone who will enjoy jeeping the jeep have the jeep: there's no sense holding onto in hope that it will get more fun later, while it continues to depreciate (which it will do rapidly as a daily driver on a commute that long, and there's no guarantee that the jeep secondary market will stay as strong as it is right now). The only other thing I'd suggest would be to get some third-party trade-in offers to make sure that the dealer isn't actually lowballing.
Hence my first question of why does he actually want to switch. If he's unhappy with the Jeep like you are implying, then obviously switch. But if the Jeep is doing fine, he likes driving it, it meets his needs, and he just wants something new to spice up life instead, then I'm not sure trading in for a Ranger is the right call in my opinion. At least it's not the decision I would make.

I'm also a big fan of manual transmissions. The Ranger is my first vehicle without one and I still do miss it. Even with the "hassle" of stop and go commuting. Some people, myself included, choose to drive a manual because they like it, not because it's better in any way at anything. Luckily my wife's car is a manual, so I can still get my fix sometimes.

Also, unrelated, all these text-speak acronyms are no fun. Even as a relatively young guy, I have to constantly look all of these up every time in order to understand what is being said. haha
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Hence my first question of why does he actually want to switch. If he's unhappy with the Jeep like you are implying, then obviously switch. But if the Jeep is doing fine, he likes driving it, it meets his needs, and he just wants something new to spice up life instead, then I'm not sure trading in for a Ranger is the right call in my opinion. At least it's not the decision I would make.
If he liked it and it met all his needs he probably wouldn't even be looking to change, right? He said he bought it to be an extra car, but it inadvertently became his daily driver.

I'm also a big fan of manual transmissions. The Ranger is my first vehicle without one and I still do miss it. Even with the "hassle" of stop and go commuting. Some people, myself included, choose to drive a manual because they like it, not because it's better in any way at anything.
The ranger is my first primary vehicle without a manual. I know how it can be fun grinding gears on twisty roads in the hills or accelerating flat out on the open road. I also know that stop and go commuting with a manual sucks; there's nothing at all fun about manipulating a clutch over and over and over for an hour while you creep along, and the older I get the more my leg reminds me that it sucks. I did a long commute for a long time (mostly not stop and go, thank god) and when the manual got more than 10% better mileage it was well worth it even when there was stop and go. But automatics have gotten a hell of a lot better, and now it's likely the fuel economy will be worse in the manual. Still potentially fun for a sports car, but not a daily commuter.

It's like when car manufacturers show the ad with a car on an empty road, and want you to dream about driving around all by yourself in a beautiful place with no tourists, but reality is a gridlocked nightmare. ;)

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Again thank you for all your replies, they are very helpful and insightful. I posted the same question in my Jeep forum and very interesting replies.

The original plan was we bought the Jeep as a toy for fun weekends and not necessarily a daily driver. While I do love the manual (luckily my son's Jetta is a manual for those days I want fun). We currently have 3 cars and only 1 is an automatic and I'm not getting younger (amazing the aches and pains that start to show up after 50). Our other car is a 3 month old Atlas that replaced our pilot that did all the trips to Home Depot, etc...

The reason that I like the Ranger over the Jeep - Its new and shiny, but the more serious reasons - Ford Co-pilot 360 (both of other cars have some of this tech which is huge), remote start, truck bed being capable for my hunting trips and I like to sit up high. The other is being an automatic, I have been driving a manual 4 days a week (Jetta & Jeep) for the last 1 1/2 as much fun as it is in when you can get up and go not as much fun when you go 1,2,3 to stop and repeat. Lastly is quietness - jeep is noisy - enjoyable when the weather is nice not so when the top is up. I also have been a truck owner in the past (Avalanche and Ridgeline) and I regret selling the Ridgeline. The wife never like the Avalanche due to size but didn't mind the Ridgeline. Had the Ridgeline not looked like an el camino I would probably go back there.

Lastly as a jeep owner - its a matter of when something will break - so I would be getting an extended warranty $1200 or I can swap into a new Ranger for $300 more.

Again thank you and I'm still torn - there are pros and cons on both sides but your insight has been very helpful.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Again thank you for all your replies, they are very helpful and insightful. I posted the same question in my Jeep forum and very interesting replies.

The original plan was we bought the Jeep as a toy for fun weekends and not necessarily a daily driver. While I do love the manual (luckily my son's Jetta is a manual for those days I want fun). We currently have 3 cars and only 1 is an automatic and I'm not getting younger (amazing the aches and pains that start to show up after 50). Our other car is a 3 month old Atlas that replaced our pilot that did all the trips to Home Depot, etc...

The reason that I like the Ranger over the Jeep - Its new and shiny, but the more serious reasons - Ford Co-pilot 360 (both of other cars have some of this tech which is huge), remote start, truck bed being capable for my hunting trips and I like to sit up high. The other is being an automatic, I have been driving a manual 4 days a week (Jetta & Jeep) for the last 1 1/2 as much fun as it is in when you can get up and go not as much fun when you go 1,2,3 to stop and repeat. Lastly is quietness - jeep is noisy - enjoyable when the weather is nice not so when the top is up. I also have been a truck owner in the past (Avalanche and Ridgeline) and I regret selling the Ridgeline. The wife never like the Avalanche due to size but didn't mind the Ridgeline. Had the Ridgeline not looked like an el camino I would probably go back there.

Lastly as a jeep owner - its a matter of when something will break - so I would be getting an extended warranty $1200 or I can swap into a new Ranger for $300 more.

Again thank you and I'm still torn - there are pros and cons on both sides but your insight has been very helpful.

See I like the avalanche.. More like a truck to me and I like trucks.

Ridgeline is not a truck to me. It is a great vehicle for those that do nothing but highway and want to haul a little. At that point a SUV might be better.
I just do not like them and I do not like the way they look.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
See I like the avalanche.. More like a truck to me and I like trucks.

Ridgeline is not a truck to me. It is a great vehicle for those that do nothing but highway and want to haul a little. At that point a SUV might be better.
I just do not like them and I do not like the way they look.
Hi Shred5

You must make your own decision based on the facts you acquire. To ask others to make the decision, just shifts the blame to the others if things that go against your liking. I am not going to take the bate. You choose your vehicle based on what you list is factors that are important to you.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All again thank you again - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new Ranger Super Crew 4X2, 302A package, locking rear diff and towing package in Oxford white. I was also surprised when I went to pick it up (had test driven other versions) that it had a dealer installed bed liner installed. Come spring I will miss the Jeep some days but my left leg will be happy. However, being able to start the truck from my watch in the cold or hot will be well worth it.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on your purchase. I think I speak for a lot of us here, but we look forward to driving the Ranger. It's a fun & comfortable vehicle. Especially in sport mode. Very nimble and quick. Handles the twistys pretty well. And get TONs of compliments! You done alright in my book.

Deleted member 1634

The reason that I like the Ranger over the Jeep - Its new and shiny, but the more serious reasons - Ford Co-pilot 360 (both of other cars have some of this tech which is huge), remote start, truck bed being capable for my hunting trips and I like to sit up high. The other is being an automatic, I have been driving a manual 4 days a week (Jetta & Jeep) for the last 1 1/2 as much fun as it is in when you can get up and go not as much fun when you go 1,2,3 to stop and repeat. Lastly is quietness - jeep is noisy - enjoyable when the weather is nice not so when the top is up.
Looks like you win this round @VAMike. You were right. I'll get you next time. haha

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
OP, good choice on the Ranger. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your choice. I am very pleased with mine. Now post some pics of your new Ranger when you can. Welcome to the forum.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Congrats! I love the Oxford white. I believe you will absolutely love your Ranger. I know I do.:like:

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 1 was very nice - love those heating pads - I mean heated seats. It was nice to hope into a warm truck on a cold day. I will also say coming from a Jeep some of the negative things that people point out (like brakes) seem to be great to me. Bouncy ride - what is a bouncy ride

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
All I have been reading a lot of the post and I'm thinking of getting a Ranger. I live in metro Atlanta area and commute 50 miles a day, mainly in stop and go traffic. We had purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4dr. 75th anniversary - (loaded for a Jeep) with manual transmission as a third car prior to my eldest driving. Now my son is driving and will be leaving for college in the fall and the Jeep is now my primary daily driver. I have a deal worked out for 2019 XLT 2WD with towing, rear locker and the 302A package for $1500 and my Jeep. I could also get a 4x4 FX4 with 302A for $4000 and my Jeep. Regarding 4X4 I have used my Jeeps 3-4 times and really didn't need to.

First question am I crazy to get rid of my Jeep?
Should I spend the extra $2500 for the 4x4?

thank you in advance for your advice.

I think, you just can't go wrong with a Ranger. Jeeps are good vehicles but usually unreliable...not always but my Jeep friends are the ones who tell me this. If they are willing to give you that much for your Jeep, maybe look at a fully loaded Lariat Ranger. I don't regret the investment, I made for mine!!

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got an okay price for the jeep - not enough for the Lariat though. I
I think, you just can't go wrong with a Ranger. Jeeps are good vehicles but usually unreliable...not always but my Jeep friends are the ones who tell me this. If they are willing to give you that much for your Jeep, maybe look at a fully loaded Lariat Ranger. I don't regret the investment, I made for mine!!
I did okay on the Jeep not Lariat money though. I didn't want to part with a whole lot of extra dollars. The reliability of the Jeep was a factor - my choice was to get the extended warranty or give the Ford dealer that money and the keys and drive off with a new XLT ranger.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Keep reading threads here. Plenty of likes and dislikes to read about, then you have to see which ones fit your asks.

Uncomfortable and/or sagging seats is a popular topic.
Is resale value a concern for you?

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you to everyone that has chimed in - I'm now a week and half into my Ranger Journey - Just wanted to share the reason why I ended up with the Ranger - even though I had only seen 1 prior and didn't think about them originally.

My wife suggested that I should look at trucks to replace my Jeep. I personally do not like GM and when I looked at prices of the Rams they were out of my price range. So off to the local Ford dealer my son and I went to look at F150 which I still think is the best looking full size truck on the market. When I pulled in there - there they were the Ranger. I test drove an F150 it felt to big for me - but boy oh boy did my 10 year old like all the room in the back. Then I got to drive the Ranger. I really liked the Ranger sure it was bouncy but hey I'm Jeep guy. What I really liked was all the tech - like when my 10 year old unbuckled his seat belt (wish I didn't need this feature), remote start, etc... I felt the ride and handling were really good.

So my 2016 Jeep was paid off and I only wanted to part with the cost of the extended warranty (since it was a jeep I was planning to purchase :) ). So I had a few wants - XLT crew cab and 302A package. Likes where the 4x4, FX4, towing, tech package. I started at the FX4 and then a sport 4x4 was not able to get a good enough deal. Then I saw the incentives on 4X2 and I ended up with my current Ranger - Oxford white, 302A, Towing, locking rear and drop in bed liner.

What I like: Ford Pass/remote start from my watch (and its now free), fun driving experience, heated seats, safety features, comfort of the truck, overall driving experience. I have truly been enjoying my commute time.

What I dislike: Really wish the bottle holders where better in the door, Traffic (really want to see the engine go).

Again thank you and hope this helps others out there looking.
Sponsored