John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
All I have been reading a lot of the post and I'm thinking of getting a Ranger. I live in metro Atlanta area and commute 50 miles a day, mainly in stop and go traffic. We had purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4dr. 75th anniversary - (loaded for a Jeep) with manual transmission as a third car prior to my eldest driving. Now my son is driving and will be leaving for college in the fall and the Jeep is now my primary daily driver. I have a deal worked out for 2019 XLT 2WD with towing, rear locker and the 302A package for $1500 and my Jeep. I could also get a 4x4 FX4 with 302A for $4000 and my Jeep. Regarding 4X4 I have used my Jeeps 3-4 times and really didn't need to.

First question am I crazy to get rid of my Jeep?
Should I spend the extra $2500 for the 4x4?

thank you in advance for your advice.
Sponsored

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
if you like the manual keep the jeep !!otherwise test drive the ranger

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
All I have been reading a lot of the post and I'm thinking of getting a Ranger. I live in metro Atlanta area and commute 50 miles a day, mainly in stop and go traffic. We had purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4dr. 75th anniversary - (loaded for a Jeep) with manual transmission as a third car prior to my eldest driving. Now my son is driving and will be leaving for college in the fall and the Jeep is now my primary daily driver. I have a deal worked out for 2019 XLT 2WD with towing, rear locker and the 302A package for $1500 and my Jeep. I could also get a 4x4 FX4 with 302A for $4000 and my Jeep. Regarding 4X4 I have used my Jeeps 3-4 times and really didn't need to.

Regarding the bolded part I think only you can honestly answer that question,but if it were me I would dump the Jeep and get the ranger!;) I really love my Ranger from the powertrain to all the tech stuff. As far as getting the 4x4 I wouldn't spend the extra money. I would just stick with the 2wd seeing as you really don't need/use it much. That $2,500 will buy you some nice mods. :D

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
If you don't need the Jeep 4wd capability then do it. I just moved from Land Rover LR3 to a Ranger 2wd with rear locker and it was worth it to me. Our off roading is primarily forest service roads so it's rare we would need the 4wd capabilities. I'm halfway through a trip to Florida right now and the Ranger is extremely comfortable on the road and I'm averaging 25.1 mpg driving 75-80 on the freeway.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I'd flip it around to find my answer...

How many guys would get rid of their Ranger to get a Jeep and $1,500? I bet not many!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Keep the Jeep. It's only a couple years old. Put your money in the bank... be frugal.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say is that I love my Ranger - it is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm not sure what it is like to drive a jeep as a daily driver, but my Ranger is a GREAT daily driver. My old Ranger I couldn't really say that - it was very "trucky" - maybe it is because I'm getting older, but I really like the ride of my Ranger.

Test drive one and see what you think.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Personally not a Jeep fan, lots of weird quirky issues.. my main issue with the Jeep would be ride quality and how loud they are. Sure wouldn’t want to drive one 50 miles a day. Up to you on wether or not it’s worth it. Jeeps do have a “cool” factor ‍♂

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Honestly, 50 miles of stop and go traffic in a manual jeep sounds horrible. If I really wanted a truck for that commute (I'd personally go with something smaller and lighter) a 2wd ranger would probably be the way to go.

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone for your input

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

Only you can decide. You come to a Ranger forum asking what you should buy? I think I know what most of the answers will be. Go to the taco forums and ask the same question and I can predict what they will say.

My only advice is if you do not offroad and live in a climate where you do not need 4 wheel drive do not get it. It is one more thing to go wrong and is more money to fix.

Deleted member 1634

I guess it depends why you're even thinking of doing this. Is the Jeep no longer meeting your needs? Is a mid-size truck something that you need (whether a Ranger or any of the others)?

I'm a big proponent of going with what you need to do what you want to do. I got a midsize truck generally because of it's truck functionality in a smaller package while still maintaining everyday ease of use. I got a Ranger specifically because of gas mileage, comfort, styling, options for the price, and my family gets deals on Fords.

The Jeep, though I personally wouldn't want it, seems like a perfectly capable vehicle for daily driving and everyday use. Not the best thing obviously, but it's the cheapest thing right now since it is essentially costing you nothing to keep it. As opposed to paying money to get rid of it and get something else.

If you're looking for a cheaper to operate, more commute friendly vehicle... then I would go with some sort of smaller sedan/coupe/hatch.

If you're looking for a cheaper to operate, more commute friendly vehicle, that can also take the family on trips into the woods... then I would go with some sort of small to midsize SUV/crossover, or just keep the Jeep.

If you're looking for a cheaper to operate, more commute friendly vehicle, that can also take the family on trips into the woods, and haul lumber and dirty cargo from the nearby Home Depot every few weekends... then I would go with some sort of midsize truck, whether it be a Ranger or something else.

The Ranger is really nice, sure, but it's not the perfect vehicle for everyone.

As far as 2WD vs 4WD. Again, if you don't have any reason to need 4WD, which it sounds like you don't really, then I wouldn't spend the extra money.

Just some things to think about.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I guess it depends why you're even thinking of doing this. Is the Jeep no longer meeting your needs? Is a mid-size truck something that you need (whether a Ranger or any of the others)?

I'm a big proponent of going with what you need to do what you want to do. I got a midsize truck generally because of it's truck functionality in a smaller package while still maintaining everyday ease of use. I got a Ranger specifically because of gas mileage, comfort, styling, options for the price, and my family gets deals on Fords.

The Jeep, though I personally wouldn't want it, seems like a perfectly capable vehicle for daily driving and everyday use. Not the best thing obviously, but it's the cheapest thing right now since it is essentially costing you nothing to keep it. As opposed to paying money to get rid of it and get something else.

If you're looking for a cheaper to operate, more commute friendly vehicle... then I would go with some sort of smaller sedan/coupe/hatch.

If you're looking for a cheaper to operate, more commute friendly vehicle, that can also take the family on trips into the woods... then I would go with some sort of small to midsize SUV/crossover, or just keep the Jeep.

If you're looking for a cheaper to operate, more commute friendly vehicle, that can also take the family on trips into the woods, and haul lumber and dirty cargo from the nearby Home Depot every few weekends... then I would go with some sort of midsize truck, whether it be a Ranger or something else.

The Ranger is really nice, sure, but it's not the perfect vehicle for everyone.

As far as 2WD vs 4WD. Again, if you don't have any reason to need 4WD, which it sounds like you don't really, then I wouldn't spend the extra money.

Just some things to think about.

Well put...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Even ignoring the NVH issues of a jeep on the highway, I think you're either underestimating or misremembering how much of a PITA it is to drive a manual in an hour long stop and go commute. :) The traditional reason to put up with that pain would be fuel economy...but it's a jeep. I'm also generally a proponent of keeping what you've got, but if someone's unhappy commuting in a jeep (understandable), doesn't use the jeep for jeeping, and can get into something else for basically no money and lower operational costs, it's a no-brainer--the only thing to argue about is what to switch into. Let someone who will enjoy jeeping the jeep have the jeep: there's no sense holding onto in hope that it will get more fun later, while it continues to depreciate (which it will do rapidly as a daily driver on a commute that long, and there's no guarantee that the jeep secondary market will stay as strong as it is right now). The only other thing I'd suggest would be to get some third-party trade-in offers to make sure that the dealer isn't actually lowballing.
Sponsored