Anyone thinking of selling their Ranger?

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
During the height of the supply chain issues, I potentially could get $38,000 for my 2019 xlt from one of those on-line used car companies. I checked it the week, and the price is nor $31,500.

the only differences are about 1 year older, and an extra 5,000 miles for a total of 19,500 total miles on my 2019. ( I bought it just as I retired and do not drive NEAR as much anymore)

I am thinking about selling both my and my wife’s car to buy a Tesla. I can’t get the idea of a self driving car out of my head!

I probably won’t do and am just torturing myself a bit. Anyone else actually doing this or has done it?
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Yes, actually. Considering a trade for next year if I can work a decent enough deal.

The seat is junk in mine resulting in back problems, and the fact my 2017 F150 I traded for it actually got the same if not better fuel economy... Can't help but be litttle disappointed.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
During the height of the supply chain issues, I potentially could get $38,000 for my 2019 xlt from one of those on-line used car companies. I checked it the week, and the price is nor $31,500.

the only differences are about 1 year older, and an extra 5,000 miles for a total of 19,500 total miles on my 2019. ( I bought it just as I retired and do not drive NEAR as much anymore)

I am thinking about selling both my and my wife’s car to buy a Tesla. I can’t get the idea of a self driving car out of my head!

I probably won’t do and am just torturing myself a bit. Anyone else actually doing this or has done it?
Not me. Still love my Ranger! But we take a lot of trips on it & that’s what we bought it for. It’s a great traveling truck. I plan to keep it for many years.
I know everyone’s needs and experiences are different. A man/woman’s gotta do what a man/woman’s gotta do. Life’s too short not to be happy. :)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Self driving cars kinda tend to kill their owners....sometimes they kill motorcyclists too...technologies's not there by a long shot...

Anyone want to buy a mint Ranger? Only 97,000 miles... ?

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I've been thinking about trading my ranger this year due to due to gas prices. I drive a lot to commute to work in remote areas, and the many 80mph windy miles through Nevada that I do every week was adding up quite a bit. That being said having some offroad capabilities is nice as there are dirt roads/trails all over the place. It just sucks to pay that premium for 0.5% of my miles, where the rest I probably would be just as happy driving anything else. I don't have the Fx4 either so sometimes I wish I had more offroad capability.

When looking at other options, I have realized that the ranger is a very versatile vehicle. It excels in a lot of things and if you want to get something that is better in a specific aspect, you will generally lose out somewhere else. If you're not doing a lot of miles or using the strengths of the ranger, I think you can make a case for trading it in. It is a bad time to buy though. I might have bought a rav4 prime by now if they were actually possible to find.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
In my opinion, the Ranger is the best value in midsize pickups. I usually drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off but I'm considering upgrading to the 6G Ranger Raptor because of the advanced tech features. I'll make up my mind when US release details come out.

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
Yes, actually. Considering a trade for next year if I can work a decent enough deal.

The seat is junk in mine resulting in back problems, and the fact my 2017 F150 I traded for it actually got the same if not better fuel economy... Can't help but be litttle disappointed.
your f150 got 23 mpg .......

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Pretty much the time of everyday vehicles appreciating is over. Lasted just the 2 short years of covid, material and vehicle shortages, people staying home with nothing to do....
Now we're back to the "pre covid" prices where, as was in the past, vehicles deprediate.
Maybe not as fast as it used to be as supply is still low and you pretty much have to order, and with the rising interest rates, rates for used vehicles is higher than new, depreciation is back.
Used vehicles are still gonna be more expensive to buy, but I think the days of dealers paying you more than you paid new are over.

Last edited:

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I am planning to let go of my Ranger in the spring. My dad is going to be getting rid of his 2011 GMC Sierra 4x4 with a 5.3 V8. The thing has ridiculously low mileage and is in pretty good shape, it would make a lot more economic sense for me. I will miss the tech and especially the ACC but at the end of the day, it is a means of transport and If I can keep a few extra bucks in my pocket then I am happy.

Deleted member 15875

Tesla? Why?

Deleted member 15875

Pretty much the time of everyday vehicles appreciating is over. Lasted just the 2 short years of covid, material and vehicle shortages, people staying home with nothing to do....
Now we're back to the "pre covid" prices where, as was in the past, vehicles deprediate.
Maybe not as fast as it used to be as supply is still low and you pretty much have to order, and with the rising interest rates, rates for used vehicles is higher than new, depreciation is back.
Used vehicles are still gonna be more expensive to buy, but I think the days of dealers paying you more than you paid new are over.
Yes...And unemployment will be rising much faster than most realize which will greatly contribute to this downward - and needed - trend of "dealer markups". It's coming.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I am planning to let go of my Ranger in the spring. My dad is going to be getting rid of his 2011 GMC Sierra 4x4 with a 5.3 V8. The thing has ridiculously low mileage and is in pretty good shape, it would make a lot more economic sense for me. I will miss the tech and especially the ACC but at the end of the day, it is a means of transport and If I can keep a few extra bucks in my pocket then I am happy.
“Don’t Worry, Be Happy”

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5