Thinking about purchasing a Ranger

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Hi, new to the group. I've been in the market for a mid-size truck. I've done some basic research on all the options - ZR2, Tacoma, Nissan....Ranger. I feel the Ranger is underrated compared to the others, at least per the mainstream press (Edmunds/Car and Driver etc.).

I was wondering what the reliability is of the Ranger and if the powertrain is solid? Based on what I've read, the 2.3L Ecoboost and 10 speed automatic are a gem in this class. Reliable and plenty of power.

I will be using this truck for just basic house needs and weekend off-roading trips. The FX-4 should be fine, but I'm tempted by the Tremor package.

I drove a Tacoma and it was one of the worst driving vehicles I've ever driven. That was the truck I was going for, until I drove it. The ZR2 is really nice, but GM has a poor 8 speed automatic with issues. Some say the new fluid helps, but I'm not convinced.

That leaves me with the Ranger. Is the Ranger due for a complete redesign soon? If so I could hold off until year end.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Stop thinking and pull the trigger.

Seriously, the truck is sound, has great gas mileage, plenty of power, excellent towing capacity, and you can easily modify the bejeezus out of them.

The Ranger6g forum might help you with any upcoming changes.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure a lot of the members will chime in on this and you won't find a shortage of fans of the Ranger on here :) Like you, when I got ready to buy, I was looking at the GM twins but shied away because of the problems with that 8-spd. Was not interested in the Taco and the only other vehicle I considered was the Honda Ridgeline. In fact, I drove it and ten minutes later, drove the Ranger - it was a no brainer after that. You can see what my decision was.

The 2.3 with the 10-spd is a great combination; Ford did a great job with the low-end power (though a lot of members here have gotten tunes for their trucks to make it even better) and the Ranger suits my needs perfectly - weekend household projects and possibly some trail running up in the foothills. To be honest, if I was going to buy now, I'd pass on the FX4 and have the Fox 2.0 leveling kit installed - that's my plan this summer. The FX4 suspension is "soft" or "floaty" - not terrible, but not fantastic.

I think late 2022 is when the redesign is supposed to hit the market, but as far as I know, there's been no definitive date...has there?

Best advice, go drive a Ranger, both FX4 and non. That's the only way you'll be able to determine if it will be the truck for you, but for me (and A LOT on here), the Ranger was the best choice.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, new to the group. I've been in the market for a mid-size truck. I've done some basic research on all the options - ZR2, Tacoma, Nissan....Ranger. I feel the Ranger is underrated compared to the others, at least per the mainstream press (Edmunds/Car and Driver etc.).

I was wondering what the reliability is of the Ranger and if the powertrain is solid? Based on what I've read, the 2.3L Ecoboost and 10 speed automatic are a gem in this class. Reliable and plenty of power.

I will be using this truck for just basic house needs and weekend off-roading trips. The FX-4 should be fine, but I'm tempted by the Tremor package.

I drove a Tacoma and it was one of the worst driving vehicles I've ever driven. That was the truck I was going for, until I drove it. The ZR2 is really nice, but GM has a poor 8 speed automatic with issues. Some say the new fluid helps, but I'm not convinced.

That leaves me with the Ranger. Is the Ranger due for a complete redesign soon? If so I could hold off until year end.

Thank you in advance!
I think the powertrain in the Ranger is its best feature. The 10 speed is the same as put in the F-150 as well as several other vehicles, so I would say it should hold up well. The 2.3 has been in a few other vehicles as well and has held up well. Not saying there aren't outlier issues (as with any mass produced stuff), but overall, both seem to be holding up well.

The redesign for the Ranger isn't going to happen until at least 2023 and given all the COVID related delays, etc, it wouldn't surprise me if it was 2024.

I've had my truck for almost 2 years now and had zero issues with it and I can say this is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. I'm continually impressed with its abilities and it is a very comfortable daily driver.

My only real complaint is the stock tires. For off roading of any sort, I think they suck. They seem to be good at one thing - getting better mileage. As far as traction in snow or mud, I think they are terrible. But that is something easily fixed. If you got a Tremor, that wouldn't be an issue. If I were ordering a truck today, I think I'd opt for the Tremor package.

Good luck in your decision. If I had it to do all over, I'd choose exactly what I got (except I'd probably opt for the Tremor package, which wasn't available when I ordered).

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. I'm considering the FX-4 or Tremor.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I was in the same boat recently. No real reason to wait on the redesign is the answer I came up with. It’s an evolution of the same platform and I doubt the changes will be major enough to justify the long wait. Mostly cosmetic. The engine and transmission will be the same which is the big one. They may add an option for a 2.7L v6 but it will probably be reserved for the Raptor. The 2.3 is very strong in the ranger and I think it feels awesome. Doesn’t sound great but it pulls down the road hard.

Most car sites seem to complain about the rangers interior which is ridiculous in my opinion. Seriously go sit in one and tell me if it’s outdated. These reviewers sit in BMWs and stuff all day then hop in a ranger and think it’s outdated. It’s a truck and the interior quality is as nice or nicer than the other mid sized trucks I’ve looked at since. Certainly beats Tacoma.

One more important consideration is price. My truck had an MSRP over 39k and I paid 33,500. There are incentives and the Ford dealers will negotiate. You can upgrade the FX4 to most of the tremor spec fairly easily by adding a lift and bigger tires. You miss a few things but in my opinion unless there is already a tremor on the lot you might be just as happy with an FX4. Go test drive a ranger and see how you like it!

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I was in the same boat recently. No real reason to wait on the redesign is the answer I came up with. It’s an evolution of the same platform and I doubt the changes will be major enough to justify the long wait. Mostly cosmetic. The engine and transmission will be the same which is the big one. They may add an option for a 2.7L v6 but it will probably be reserved for the Raptor. The 2.3 is very strong in the ranger and I think it feels awesome. Doesn’t sound great but it pulls down the road hard.

Most car sites seem to complain about the rangers interior which is ridiculous in my opinion. Seriously go sit in one and tell me if it’s outdated. These reviewers sit in BMWs and stuff all day then hop in a ranger and think it’s outdated. It’s a truck and the interior quality is as nice or nicer than the other mid sized trucks I’ve looked at since. Certainly beats Tacoma.

One more important consideration is price. My truck had an MSRP over 39k and I paid 33,500. There are incentives and the Ford dealers will negotiate. You can upgrade the FX4 to most of the tremor spec fairly easily by adding a lift and bigger tires. You miss a few things but in my opinion unless there is already a tremor on the lot you might be just as happy with an FX4. Go test drive a ranger and see how you like it!
I totally agree. Some of the "reviewers" whether it be in a magazine or Youtube can be quite ridiculous. Especially when talking about interior, which is subjective.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Another happy owner chiming in, I bought an FX4 even though it really does more than I need. I am very happy with it. Have you taken a test drive yet? The truck is my daily driver and the powertrain is fantastic, it has power but I'm getting good mileage on my commute.

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Another happy owner chiming in, I bought an FX4 even though it really does more than I need. I am very happy with it. Have you taken a test drive yet? The truck is my daily driver and the powertrain is fantastic, it has power but I'm getting good mileage on my commute.
I'm going to drive one this week. The FX-4 seems capable enough for the type of off-roading i'd be using it for. Nothing crazy just trails that are moderate at best. I could always built upon it if need be. Having a rear locker is a huge plus.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
So far I love mine, took it to Stevens Pass to snowboard a couple times(WA state) and it had zero trouble at all in the snow/slush. With that said, there are a couple things that have concerned me, but not to the point (atm) to where I regret the purchase, and some of it to be fair are issues only others have experienced and i haven't. But I think to be fair i'd mention them here so you're aware and would want to do your own research on.

1) AC issue, apparently many have an issue where the AC is blowing hot air (not having this issue, but i've only had this vehicle through winter so far, kind of curious what will happen during the summer here)
2) Gas in oil, many have reported this, mine smells like gasoline but oil levels haven't increased yet nor does my cabin smell like gasoline, so technically operating as normal.
3) Its a 4 cylinder turbo, in my honest opinion i'm skeptical the engine will last as long as any of the other other midsized trucks. I'm not mechanic but more stress on an engine by laws of physics just means less lifespan - IMO. I tend to keep my vehicles a lil over 150k miles, so hopefully the Ranger at least gets me around there and i'll be very happy.

Also this is my summary/research for when i was shopping:

a) Tacoma's will probably have the best reliability out of the midsize class, but i did not like the cost and its subpar power train.

b) Ridgeline honestly didn't feel like a truck, their bed was also very shallow, i didn't need that gimmicky ice chest or storage. It's also AWD which iono some may like that but I personally wanted 4x4 w/ trail management etc.

c) colorado, probably the best offroad capable midsize next to the jeep due to it having a front locker. But I don't plan on doing that insane of offroad, and if i do i'll probably just get an aftermarket one. I didn't like their wedge bed design though, and what really prevented me going zr1/zr2 route was their class action lawsuit w/ their transmissions. That by itself made me stay clear

d) jeep, way too expensive and honestly not a fan of the looks.

e) Ranger, good power train, no known MAJOR issues so known so far and i love the looks. The price was also very reasonable - imo. I got mine for exactly 37k Out the door price (tax, license etc) for a black appearance 2020 XLT 301 and FX4 pkg.

SO good luck on your purchase! And regardless of what you go w/ you'll probably end up spending a bit more on a new suspension haha. I know i will be here in a month or so, changing out the suspension, the FX4 is a bit too soft for my liking.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
So far I love mine, took it to Stevens Pass to snowboard (WA state) and it had zero trouble at all. With that said, there are a couple things that have concerned me, but not to the point (atm) to where I regret the purchase, and some of it to be fair are issues only others have experienced and i haven't. But I think to be fair i'd mention them here so you're aware and would want to do your own research on.

1) AC issue, apparently many have an issue where the AC is blowing hot air (not having this issue, but i've only had this vehicle through winter so far, kind of curious what will happen during the summer here)
2) Gas in oil, many have reported this, mine smells like gasoline but oil levels haven't increased yet nor does my cabin smell like gasoline, so technically operating as normal.
3) Its a 4 cylinder turbo, in my honest opinion i'm skeptical the engine will last as long as any of the other other midsized trucks. I'm not mechanic but more stress on an engine by laws of physics just means less lifespan - IMO. I tend to keep my vehicles a lil over 150k miles, so hopefully the Ranger at least gets me around there and i'll be very happy.

Also this is my summary/research for when i was shopping:

a) Tacoma's will probably have the best reliability out of the midsize class, but i did not like the cost and its subpar power train.

b) Ridgeline honestly didn't feel like a truck, their bed was also very shallow, i didn't need that gimmicky ice chest or storage. It's also AWD which iono some may like that but I personally wanted 4x4 w/ trail management etc.

c) colorado, probably the best offroad capable midsize next to the jeep due to it having a front locker. But I don't plan on doing that insane of offroad, and if i do i'll probably just get an aftermarket one. I didn't like their wedge bed design though, and what really prevented me going zr1/zr2 route was their class action lawsuit w/ their transmissions. That by itself made me stay clear

d) jeep, way too expensive and honestly not a fan of the looks.

e) Ranger, good power train, no known MAJOR issues so known so far and i love the looks. The price was also very reasonable - imo. I got mine for exactly 37k Out the door price (tax, license etc) for a black appearance 2020 XLT 301 and FX4 pkg.

SO good luck on your purchase! And regardless of what you go w/ you'll probably end up spending a bit more on a new suspension haha. I know i will be here in a month or so, changing out the suspension, the FX4 is a bit too soft for my liking.
This is almost my exact purchase and ownership experience put into words. I also have the same exact truck plus a tow package and 2021. My price was about 33,500 and right around 37,000 out the door. Far cheaper than a compatible Toyota would have been.

I will add that I do have a bit more faith in the 2.3 despite the fuel odor in my oil issue which I do have. To a certain degree that is normal for DI engines. Excessive fuel is not but I don’t think it’s going to end up being a major issue for the majority of buyers. Modern turbo engines have come a long way. I’m a previous Toyota die hard and now have two eco-boost engines in my driveway. So far so good.

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I believe the 2.3L Ecoboost is well tested being it has been out for quite some time. They hold up very well from what I've read.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord

Thank you in advance!

Thank you in advance!
I flipping love my 2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew. It’s fun to drive and fits my 6’3 frame just fine. The engine and transmission seem to work flawlessly. I looked at all the other midsized trucks and none checked off as many boxes as the Ranger.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you in advance!
Hi TF,

Ford tested the new Ranger to the equivalent of 150,000 miles of a 90 percentile customer (really no one here on these forums are remotely close to 90 percentile) and should perform well for a long time for you. Ford Tough does really mean something.

Good Luck on your decision,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored