Thoughts after owning 6 months and 6,000 miles

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
I bought my wife a Mercedes SUV so she never wants to "Borrow" my Ranger!
It would likely be confusing to go from the german oddness of controls to American controls in Ranger. My GLC300 is just very odd compared to domestic and japanese vehicles.
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
It would likely be confusing to go from the german oddness of controls to American controls in Ranger. My GLC300 is just very odd compared to domestic and japanese vehicles.
Agree, but for a Highway Cruiser there's not many that will beat the GLE350!

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
3 1/2 months and 6,400 miles.

Had a few complaints in the beginning:
  • Poor mpg in the city 17 at best and drove like an old man
  • Kind of skipping (jerking) at start off
  • Seemed like you had to press the peddle pretty firm to get moving (in Drive)
Now, after 6,400 miles:
  • Poor mpg in the city 17 at best and drove like an old man
Seems better. Getting in the high 19s in the city...driving the same way. Sometimes mid 20s.
  • Kind of skipping (jerking) at start off
Seems better. Worse when cold
  • Seemed like you had to press the peddle pretty firm to get moving
I put in Sport mode when I want to get moving however, it's a trade-off. In sport mode, I get between 15-16 mpg city.

All in all, I love the truck

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Owned mine 3 months now. My thoughts:
The bad:
Brakes are 'mushy' and the pedal has too much travel. I about put everyone through the windshield when I drive my Wife's Malibu.
Factory running boards could be a little wider.
Garage door opener buttons on the sunvisor. Why aren't they on the upper center console like Chevy?
The good:
Everything else!! Absolutely love this truck! Perfect size, excellent power, super comfy, it's just a cool ride! This truck totally changed my view on engines with less than 8 cylinders. I like the tech and leather it has.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Agree, but for a Highway Cruiser there's not many that will beat the GLE350!
My GX470 cruises 75mph at around 1600rpm, and with dynamic shocks + rear air bag suspension, drives like a "caddy" ;)
My GLC also has airbag suspension, but it's still not as smooth as my 470 is.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Owned mine 3 months now. My thoughts:
The bad:
Brakes are 'mushy' and the pedal has too much travel. I about put everyone through the windshield when I drive my Wife's Malibu.
Factory running boards could be a little wider.
Garage door opener buttons on the sunvisor. Why aren't they on the upper center console like Chevy?
The good:
Everything else!! Absolutely love this truck! Perfect size, excellent power, super comfy, it's just a cool ride! This truck totally changed my view on engines with less than 8 cylinders. I like the tech and leather it has.
Me too, and it's why I want a v6 option in 2021 Ranger, otherwise I skipping Ranger.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
My GX470 cruises 75mph at around 1600rpm, and with dynamic shocks + rear air bag suspension, drives like a "caddy" ;)
My GLC also has airbag suspension, but it's still not as smooth as my 470 is.
I don’t have a GLC. It’s a GLE. Very different vehicles.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Im currently driving a BMW X1 as a rental.
one might think ooooh, sweet ride.

but honestly I prefer the Ranger.

the leather seats are nice, but i have most of the options the X1 has.
The interior is plush, but the seats arent nearly as comfortable, the power seems hesitant and less than what I expected. the brakes feel like i'm going through the window.

I will take the Ranger over this any day. it may not be perfect, but this BMW is far off the mark itself.
My wife has a Mercedes-Benz GLA which is their equivalent to the BMW X1. The brakes on the GLA are the same as what you describe on the X1. Even though the GLA is a 4-cylinder turbo, the Ranger goes quicker with a lot less gas pedal pressure. The GLA may fit the wife, but to me the Ranger is a more comfortable and less road noise ride.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has a Mercedes-Benz GLA which is their equivalent to the BMW X1. The brakes on the GLA are the same as what you describe on the X1. Even though the GLA is a 4-cylinder turbo, the Ranger goes quicker with a lot less gas pedal pressure. The GLA may fit the wife, but to me the Ranger is a more comfortable and less road noise ride.
One thing that really surprises me about my Ranger is how quiet it is on the road. It is the quietest vehicle I've driven. Much quieter than my old Accord and quieter than our 2016 C-Max. I'm not sure if the active noise cancellation has something to do with it or what, but it is nice to ride in a vehicle with little road noise.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
4 months and 3400 miles and I'm extremely happy with my Ranger and I'd have to say this is the best truck I've ever owned. Not that my F150's were bad but like any vehicle technology and features have improved significantly over the years and this is by far the most technological truck I've ever owned. I never felt the "bounce" some talk about but maybe I'm just use to it as all my F150's had the Fx4 package. The seating position is very comfortable,the fit/finish IMHO is excellent and the powertrain is unbelievably smooth although coming from a Tacoma the bar wasn't set all that high. :LOL: Sure there are a few pet peeves but all in all I am extremely happy I bought my Ranger now instead of waiting until 2020 like I had originally planned.
I have not noticed an excessive bounce either. My 2011 Ranger 4X4 was a little rougher ride but not really an issue. After all a 4X4 truck is supposed to ride like a truck considering their suspension systems...I like the ride :)

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
8 months and it drives like an HO slot car; handles heavy loads with aplomb; makes me smile when I cruise; But, not as "good" as my 68 Mustang convertible was, but only a .001 difference between the 2 (Mustang was Highland Green :))

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
8 months and it drives like an HO slot car; handles heavy loads with aplomb; makes me smile when I cruise; But, not as "good" as my 68 Mustang convertible was, but only a .001 difference between the 2 (Mustang was Highland Green :))
Plus the 'Stang didn't have a damper. :bandit:

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
3 months in. I really like the tautness of the drive. Mileage has gotten a lot better since new, except when I select S, then it sucks the gas. Really like the interior, but I've covered everything up because of the dog. Really like the molded dash cover I just got. Only had it on unpaved mud and snow, no real offroading.
Sponsored