GM Canyon and Colorado poll

Knowing what you know about your truck, would you purchase it all over again?

• Total voters

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
These polls will always be biased in favor of the truck forum it’s posted on, so grain of salt.
yeah but there are always exceptions where a disgruntled owner will air their displeasure on the models forum and then the responses are fairly typical and sometimes interesting/amusing.
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I'd buy the 5g Ranger again.

I'd had my eye on the diesel GM twins (mostly for fuel economy and range reasons) for quite some time, but the price was always out of my reach. I don't like the appearance on the current Taco, but I really liked the previous gen Taco. Unfortunately it seems everyone else does, too, and the prices of those on the used market are just stupid. I couldn't stomach spending over 20k on a pickup with over 100k on the clock. The Gladiator is also fugly.

There are some little things about the 5g Ranger that bug me. But none of them gets to the level of deal breaker. I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't purchased when I did. Definitely wouldn't be paying the inflated prices that are so common right now. Also not sure which pickup I'd choose once the 6g Ranger hits. I don't like the front end on it. And whether or not I'd choose it over whatever else is out there will depend on the engine/trans combos available on it and the competition.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
FWIW, I have had 3 Dodge Dakotas over the past 30 years and I found them to be solid performing and reliable vehicles. If the Dakota had still been available I would have replaced my 01 with a new one and would likely not have considered the Ranger.
10-4. I think FCA at the time made a huge mistake dropping the Dakota, and proceeding with the Gladiator. I have two friends that had Dak's and swore by them; rust was the biggest disadvantage.
Looks like Stellantis wants to get in on the mid size truck action also. I don't think it's gonna make it in '21, but it may still be in the works.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/dakota

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My objective for a mid-sized truck was primarily towing capacity. I actually had a '21 Colorado with the Duramax diesel on order early in the year. The 369 lb-ft of torque, superb fuel economy, and factory engine brake were the primary selling points. I ended up cancelling my order and having my deposit refunded after being misled by the local sales manager about their having an allocation. After the factory re-start following several weeks of being shut down for chip shortages, I received a note from GM saying they'd accepted the order but were waiting for the dealer allocation. When I pressed the sales manager he confessed they wouldn't have the allocation for another couple of months. Since the factory wouldn't even start the process until then, I bailed.

In retrospect, I'm really glad I ended up with my Lariat. The more I read about the complexity, maintenance, and recurring problems with the diesel exhaust management systems on the Duramax, the more I'm thankful I avoided going down that rat hole. I'm amazed at the towing power available from a four-cylinder gas engine. With a few suspension mods, it's become a great and effective tow vehicle.

Last edited:

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
My brother-in-law, who owns his own auto shop, bought the Colorado a couple years ago and he is really luke-warm on it overall. I don’t think he would buy it again. Keeps asking me about the Ranger though.

On this poll, I am a solid ‘Yes’ on the Ranger on its own merits. I voted ‘Oh Hell Yes’ because there really is no other option that fit my needs. The Ranger had everything I was looking for and I haven’t been disappointed yet!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
don't like the appearance on the current Taco, but I really liked the previous gen Taco. Unfortunately it seems everyone else does, too, and the prices of those on the used market are just stupid. I couldn't stomach spending over 20k on a pickup with over 100k on the clock.
That's nothing! I was looking at used trucks before deciding to by a new Ranger. I was seeing 2010 to 2015 Tacoma's with 175,000 to 200,000 miles going from $16k to $18k. The crazy thing was people are buying them.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's nothing! I was looking at used trucks before deciding to by a new Ranger. I was seeing 2010 to 2015 Tacoma's with 175,000 to 200,000 miles going from $16k to $18k. The crazy thing was people are buying them.
Someone on the Jeep forum just sold his 2021 JLUR to Vroom for $57,000. He only paid $47,000 for it a year ago. :shock: Crazy used market prices going on now. Heck if I can sell my new Jeep in a year and make $10K I'd do it.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Nick before buying my Ranger I took a serious look at a ZR2. While it wasn't bad I didn't care for the outdated interior....
When I was looing to buy a mid size truck I of course looked at the twins. They drove nice and had plenty of power. But I wasn't a fan of the interior and it looked like similar GM vehicles from 10 years ago.
You can add me to that list. It was the interior that turned me off. I was coming from a Sierra and I was never a big fan of the dash. The Colorado/Canyon had the same dash, but even lower quality.
The Ranger interior was the reason I bought the truck. It's not great, but I felt it was the best of the bunch.
I voted that I'd buy again, although that's not a given. As with my 2019, my next truck will probably be purchased based on who has the best interior.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I think I saw a couple of those, too. Years ago, I was looking at some relatively lightly used Frontiers in the same price range. But with less than 20k on the odometer, and somewhere around 5yrs old. My first Ranger was a 98 that I purchased sometime around late 03/early 04 or so for 5500, though I don't remember the mileage.

At where used truck prices were (before the pandemic, even), it seemed like a better value to buy new. ANYTHING new.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
What about adding a “Do you wish you bought an F-150” option?

you might get a few votes for that.
I was thinking this too. If I didn't get my ranger I would have looked for a regular cab, 2wd, short bed F150. Either 5.0 or ecoboost would be a fun tuned engine.

I had a old school wrangler an the rust had rust on it. I like the gladiator but you have to lift it an throw 35's on them to not look dorky. I wonder if the new gen wranglers an gladiators end up with rust problems like the YJ an TJ jeeps.

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
GM seats are like sitting on a rock. I drove them all before my purchase.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Nick before buying my Ranger I took a serious look at a ZR2. While it wasn't bad I didn't care for the outdated interior and thought the seating wasn't all the comfy. The drivetrain was just ok, nothing blew me away about it. When I test drove the Ranger (2 different times) I was super impressed with the drivetrain and comfort. Plus I heard there's been issues with the tranny on the Chevy.

I know you're concerned with the fuel in the oil but I'd really give it a chance to work itself out. If by the 3rd year you're still having the problem maybe buy and extended warranty? Don't give up just yet. :)
The ZR2 Bison was my close 2nd; the suspension on that truck is leaps and bounds ahead of all the other in the class and those boron plates under it are awesome. It has a diesel. But the seats and price did it in for me.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Every truck has something that I like. If I could go to the dealer and buy a Ford Super Duty chassis and cab, with Cummins diesel and Allison transmission, I would have one.
Sponsored