First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
Because like the rest of the vehicle industry, corners were cut to save money on production.

No indicator lights on the shift selector.
Climate controls should be quick selection knobs instead of two buttons.
Hard plastic everywhere, plus it's very cheap since it is sensitive to scratches.
Redundant media controls as others have mentioned.

Just minor gripes here and there.
It's not perfect but at this price point I don't expect it to be.
I've driven the new tacoma's and it's the same story.
Sponsored

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
I have xlt. It’s ok. Comfortable. But I hate that I have to use the touch screen to select if I want air/heat at my feet, face or both. Should have been an actual real button for this. If the screen somehow becomes stuck/broken I can’t change those climate controls. And yeah to do this while using Apple car play is even worse.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my XL STX because I did not want all the bells & whistles & chrome glare things. Mine actually came with one of the dash A/C vents from one of the high dollar models. The glare is what caught my attention. Got it replaced under warranty. Like any vehicle we can always find different ways we could improve them. For the most part I am very pleased with my truck. I bought it to be a truck & a truck it is. Got an idea, maybe we all should go work for Ford & build the perfect truck. :crackup:

DSCN7833.JPG

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
It's not the worst, but it's also not the best: it's clearly what ford could pull out of the parts bin without investing extra effort. I disregard all auto reviewers complaints about "hard plastic" (they're loonies who for some reason want pillowy crap that's hard to clean in a truck), but most of the comments above are on point (lousy control layout, wasted space). Some obvious features are missing for no apparent reason (electronic recline/memory seats). You can brush it off as "what do you expect, it's a truck" except ford marketing told us it was "all-new" and there are a lot of features which are convenience/comfort related so it's reasonable to want that set of things to be complete. (One thing that car reviewers too often ignore that does bug the crap out of me is how many shiny things there are in the interior--the glare is blinding when the sun is at the wrong angle, and the only reason those surfaces aren't matte is for appearance [appealing to people with questionable taste].)
I wouldn't say I'm expecting "pillowing crap". My 2003 Mercury Mountaineer has a good amount of plastic interior trim and it's definitely a harder type plastic that can take every day type wear without getting scratches and scuffs so easily.... comparing to the softer type plastic used in my Ranger.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Personally I love my interior and the seats are super comfortable. I've never had to bring a small pillow for my back or adjust myself 100 times on a trip like I had to on my Tacoma.

As far as the climate controls, you all need to move where you only have to adjust it twice a year. :wink: March ac gets set to high and November it gets turned off. lol But in the rare instance I need to adjust it I just use the main touch screen.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Personally I love my interior and the seats are super comfortable. I've never had to bring a small pillow for my back or adjust myself 100 times on a trip like I had to on my Tacoma.

As far as the climate controls, you all need to move where you only have to adjust it twice a year. :wink: March ac gets set to high and November it gets turned off. lol But in the rare instance I need to adjust it I just use the main touch screen.
No gripes here about the interior either and the seats I agree are very comfortable Dave. Even for long road trips.

I actually just leave my ac on lowest and click the on button. Fan speed adjustment.. I only use that on the hottest days, mostly windows down. If it gets “cold” seat warmers is plenty enough, and no added stuffiness from the heater.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I am pleased with everything inside except for two things:

1. The seats are too hard which was the same issue with my 2011 Ranger. Got some good quality seat cushions and now very comfortable.

2. Ford did a poor job of positioning the front seat belts...they rub against the seat back and can create a serious wear spot there.

Thanks to Sid @msfitoy for discovering this.
(1) Seat Quality...WTF???!!! | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com
The solution is to purchase belt pads which prevent additional wear. Got mine at Amazon.

Seat cushion 1.jpg

Seat cushion 2.jpg

Wear spot.jpg

Shoulder Belt pad 1.jpg

Shoulder Belt pad 2.jpg

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

And it really gripes me that the space used by the media control buttons would be more than enough for real knobs, especially when those buttons would have easily fit in the large void area of the bezel below the screen.

After all, it is apparently of paramount importance that you have no less than 3 separate instances of a FFWD, PLAY, and PREV button for your media (Center stack, touchscreen, and steering wheel controls).

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 12.40.54 PM 2.png
Considering that they are really for the tape/CD player that was behind the wasted space on bezel...;)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I wouldn't say I'm expecting "pillowing crap". My 2003 Mercury Mountaineer has a good amount of plastic interior trim and it's definitely a harder type plastic that can take every day type wear without getting scratches and scuffs so easily.... comparing to the softer type plastic used in my Ranger.
It's the car reviewers that complain about "hard plastic". I'd love something that was durable and washable.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
About the only complaint I have always had for the interior is the lack of storage under the rear seats. Dont get me wrong as I have found a solution to this. I just wish Ford did better on that for all of us

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I don't mind the interior, it's just a bit disappointing when I see they are using the same guage cluster in the Lariat as I had in my 2013 Ford Taurus.
Exactly--if they'd tried to create a nice truck interior and failed, that would be one thing. Instead we're paying this much for an interior where Ford clearly didn't GAF and just pulled parts from the obsolete cars bin, and that kinda sucks. (None of the other midsize truck makers are any better, but that doesn't mean Ford couldn't do better.)

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I think my XLT interior is pretty good.

Hearing about how useless the lariat cluster is reinforces my decision not to get one, although, the LED headlights and heated mirrors would have been nice.

I don't find the seat to be as comfortable as others do. It gives me a sore neck after about an hour. I can live with it as long as I take a break now and then. Other than that a fold flat rear seat and larger under seat storage would have been great.

I don't understand the fetish of all the car reviewers to have plush material everywhere in a vehicle. The recurring comment of the ranger not having a padded dash really got me. How often are you touching the dash that it needs to be soft? As long as I don't get any reflections on the windshield that obstruct view and it's easy to clean I don't care.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I don't understand the fetish of all the car reviewers to have plush material everywhere in a vehicle. The recurring comment of the ranger not having a padded dash really got me. How often are you touching the dash that it needs to be soft? As long as I don't get any reflections on the windshield that obstruct view and it's easy to clean I don't care.
It's so their coddled chihuahua can sleep up there and not get a nasty rash from the hard plastic.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
To be fair…. Almost all of the car reviewers online are comparing the interior to freaking 80k cars and up. Like what do they expect?

With that said, ford definitely cheaped out on us for basic things that should 100% be standard in this decade. Such as all power windows, electronic seat controls, heated seats. These are things that come on 18k cars on some other manufacturers. Just imo

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I wish that the rear seat folded flat and memory settings on at least the driver's seat would be nice. Otherwise I really don't have any complaints on the interior. My other gripes are that if they sell you the factory tow package they should include the electronic brake controller too. And heated side view mirrors should b standard on all vehicles.
Sponsored