First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
All of the complaints so far and, not one person with manual seats has complained.... YET.
I dig that both the driver and passenger seats can be raised BUT, I do NOT like the fact that, when I raise the seat, it feels like its being tilted forward instead of supporting my thighs like it should.

Eventually, I'll find a set of power seats and make the switch.

Everything else, im pretty much ok with. I bought a XL supercab knowing that the interior storage space would be limited. Its a truck. I have a truck bed for that reason.
Power seats adjust the exact same way.
I don't see a setting on the Lariat that will show Coolant Temp, Tach, Fuel Level, and Gas Mileage/DTE all at the same time, which is possible on the XLT.
Why would you monitor MPG all the time? Seems to me a lot of the info in the fuel economy menu is useless.
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Yeah, that works.
But those are the only two buttons I have trouble with.
If, after putting more than 700 miles on it, I might find I need the full braille setup.
Then I can take classes to learn braille.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
my only complaint is the mirror controls are behind the steering wheel ... I don't use them much, so it's not a biggie
Weird thing about that is when I first got my truck I was expecting the mirror control to be on the driver's door arm rest. Having grown up with mostly Fords & having owned a few, without thinking that position behind the steering wheel is where I reached next and...there it was.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Yeah, that works.
But those are the only two buttons I have trouble with.
If, after putting more than 700 miles on it, I might find I need the full braille setup.
Then I can take classes to learn braille.
Try Loc-Dots. I add them to any computer keyboard that doesn't have the F & J key locating bumps so I can type without looking. Nearly invisible and just big enough to find by feel.
https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Dots-Keyboard-Location-Dots-Clear/dp/B00II5T80M
1632534804177.png

Or these that are similar but coded with different "bumps" - I've not tried them yet though.
https://www.amazon.com/Locator-Dots...N6W69C8/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B08N6W69C8&psc=1

1632534981731.png

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
The climate control buttons are in a odd spot, but I've never been one to constantly fiddle with the buttons so it's no big deal. The only thing I change is usually just the temp and fan speeds.

Only other "complaint" is the shifter being slightly toward the passenger side rather than being dead center or closer to the driver.

That said, I will admit I don't own a ranger yet. These opinions are from my limited time during test drives.

Cactus Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX
Coming from my Crown Vic, even though it was a 2011, it had the same dash since like 2003. I was spoiled since mine had a digital mfi that I used for mpgs and a speedo, but it also had a tach and the fancy climate control (This was a huge upgrade from my previous '87 Town Car, where you got a big clock instead of a tach.) Very simple and dated but effective and easy to use:

1636813409742.png

When I drove the Ranger, I thought the climate controls seemed clunky, but I will just use the screen most of the time anyways. The non-illuminating shifter letters don't bother me since my last 2 cars were column shifters lol.

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
I feel like the XL interior is much more user friendly. Two bigknobsb for temp and fan speed, a couple buttons for fan location and ac on/off. Just two big knobs for the radio as well. I also like the look of the classic speedo and tach with the small screen in the middle. It might be dated compared to modern vehicles, but it is perfectly functional and closer to what I am used to coming from a stripped 02 e250 work van.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
It’s a very dated interior, there are cheap plastics used everywhere, hvac controls are from 2010, the digital gauge cluster is also from 2010, the “leather” on the handbrake is horrific and keeps ripping, I sit too far back to use the door’s armrest because it is so short and have to constantly use the top of the door as an armrest which is all hard plastic and the fit & finish is just not great all around. That would be why people complain, and I think, for legitimate reason. I love my truck, but I am pretty disappointed with the interior overall. Only reason it gets a pass is because all of the midsize interiors are garbage. We just bought my wife a 2022 VW Tiguan (which was cheaper than my truck) and it blows my interior out of the water. Hell, even the 2021 Ford escape loaner car I got from the dealer was much, much nicer. Hopefully midsize trucks get an upgrade soon…

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
Haven't read through all 10 pages. Overall the interior isn't the worst but its sub-optimal, hopefully they improve it on the next gen. If they go all touch screen & captive buttons it will be a hard pass for me. Can't stand how manufactures think that digital touch is appropriate in a vehicle.

I didn't like the plastics or cloth seats in the XL & XLT, the Lariat's leather looks & feels much nicer. My 2015 Golf TDI had better plastics & it was an "economy" car (the TDI pushes it into GTI pricing, but it all the same interior).

The HVAC controls are okay-ish-sorta, the buttons could be better defined but having to use the touchscreen to adjust the vents & sync driver with passenger is annoying.

The mirror controls are practically hidden, even the sales person commented it took her awhile to find them. For most people who are the sole drivers of their truck this isn't a problem, but my fiance & I share it so we're always adjusting.

I would have preferred a lockout on the 4WD controls. I haven't accidentally hit them on the road, but on the trails a couple weeks ago I switched in to 2WD without knowing and dug into a bit of sand.

The dimmer controls are also practically hidden & not obvious.

The Lariat's digital displays are a solid meh. They look good & resolution is fine, but could provide more functionality. I don't understand why they've locked the functionality of the left to vehicle info & right to nav/phone/entertainment. I would like to have had vehicle info on left with fuel economy on right for instance. That said I do like the nav display when using the onboard nav, it would have been nice if it could mirror CarPlay as well (but I don't know if that's possible or if Apple restricts that).

The lack of physical buttons for common functions makes the CarPlay (and I presume Android Auto) implementation irritate me. Why do I have to use an app to get back into the main screen? Again, our VW's had all hard buttons for these functions. It's cumbersome while driving if you want to say change the vents.

The window & power seat controls are slightly awkward to use.

With all that said, don't get me wrong I absolutely love this truck. It's just been an adjustment & preferred it to the competition.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Why do I have to use an app to get back into the main screen? Again, our VW's had all hard buttons for these functions. It's cumbersome while driving if you want to say change the vents.
Just push the home button on the steering wheel controls.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Overall I really like the interior of my Lariat. The colors, textures and finishes make for a pleasant place to spend time. The seats are very comfortable and the leather has a nicer feel to it than any of my previous Fords. The Miko Suede inserts are a nice touch. It would have been cool if the stiching was red to match the Tremor embroidery but no biggy.

The layout is not perfect but is certainly does not irritate me. The HVAC controls on the lower center stack are hard to see in the daylight. I used ForScan to add the seat warmer switches to the Sync home screen and have started using voice commands to control the HVAC so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. The mirror control behind the steering wheel is awkward but there really isn't anywhere else to put it and for me it is a set and forget thing anyway.

My only irratation is the right digital display. It only gives the choice of media, phone or nav. All of this is easily seen and accessed on the main Sync screen making the display useless in my case. The programming exists from the Mustang to have Boost, Volts, Oil temp, Oil Pressure, etc and displaying these should have been an option. I plan to keep this truck for a long time so I have to do something about the lack of engine info. Since I can't see myself ever making use of the upfitter switches I plan to pull the module out and put a gauge pod there with Boost, Oil Pressure and Volt or Air/Fuel Ratio.

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
Just push the home button on the steering wheel controls.
Lariat doesn’t have those controls. D-pad controls the screen & the buttons control phone & audio.

1636904967499.jpeg
1636904942273.jpeg

Pretty dumb they don’t have an alternative control. I suppose they expect you to use voice control, which I’ll admit I’ve never tried. The mute button is redundant since you can press the volume knob.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The Voice control doesn't work when you have a smartphone connected.

It will default to your phone (Siri or Google Assistant), or at least it always does for me.

If there's a way to invoke the truck voice control while running Carplay, someone please divulge the secret.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
My take on all of this: I drove a 2000 Ranger Trailhead for 23 years (bought it brand new). The only creature comforts were AC and a CD player. Crank windows, no power locks no power mirrors, NO cruise control. Nothing. Though the 5 speed with the 3.0 and 4:10 rear axle was pretty cool...but otherwise as basic as you can imagine. So I got a 2022 XL STX FX2 and I am so happy I couldn't imagine anything better. No touch screen in mine. I agree that the climate controls took a minute to get used to though I do have dials for heat and fan speed. I guess I've been so deprived for so long that any improvement over what I had is extremely significant. Just my personal experience.
Sponsored