Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
In all the reviews I've watched and read on the new Ranger most seem to hate the interior. I'm not sure I truly understand why as I feel it's pretty well laid out with nice easy to reach controls. Yes the buttons for the temp control may be a bit small but everything is accessible on screen anyway so I don't understand the complaints. The dash may be plastic but so is Toyota and everyone else's and the Ranger seats are foar morer comfortable. Yeah I get the 60/40 rear seat issue but other than that I just can't understand the hate. I guess they all love to just pile on with one another.
Sponsored

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
In all the reviews I've watched and read on the new Ranger most seem to hate the interior. I'm not sure I truly understand why as I feel it's pretty well laid out with nice easy to reach controls. Yes the buttons for the temp control may be a bit small but everything is accessible on screen anyway so I don't understand the complaints. The dash may be plastic but so is Toyota and everyone else's and the Ranger seats are foar morer comfortable. Yeah I get the 60/40 rear seat issue but other than that I just can't understand the hate. I guess they all love to just pile on with one another.
The only thing I dislike (hate is a pretty strong word) is the softness of the plastics that seem to gouch easily and the hard plastics that scratch easily (like the interior door handles).

I bought the vinyl console cover off Ebay. I bought one of those dash kits (notice than even dragging my purse across the console could leave scratches).... so I'm trying to protect the finishes where I can. I figure once the door handles gets scratched up enough, I'll figure out how to sand and paint them.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
For the most part I like the new interior. But the critics are correct in my opinion about the climate controls. Here's the prior version. It may look dated but everything could be done without ever taking your eyes off the road. Same for music & 4WD.

Then again, I do like the new bells & whistles, so...

1632155402695.png

Last edited:

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
my only complaint is the mirror controls are behind the steering wheel ... I don't use them much, so it's not a biggie

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The climate controls are my biggest gripe.

Instead of a knob that you can feel, the buttons almost always necessitate taking your eyes off the road to see which of many seemingly identical buttons you need to push.

And it really gripes me that the space used by the media control buttons would be more than enough for real knobs, especially when those buttons would have easily fit in the large void area of the bezel below the screen.

After all, it is apparently of paramount importance that you have no less than 3 separate instances of a FFWD, PLAY, and PREV button for your media (Center stack, touchscreen, and steering wheel controls).

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 12.40.54 PM 2.png

Last edited:

Stronglight

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Lariat FX4 Supercab, rear seat & decal delete
The Lariat gauges are very disappointing. You can't see the tach and fuel mileage at the same time. The digital tach is super tiny. The media screen on the right is a joke, it's huge and displays almost nothing. Silly to compare to my former 911 maybe, but all the screens were assignable, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. If I had the time I'd learn Forscan and put in an XLT gauge set, it appears to make way more sense in the photos I've seen. I agree with all of @Dr. Zaius 's complaints above as well.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Agree with Dr. Zaius. The climate control buttons are my only complaint.

Also somewhat agree with Stronglight on the right hand Lariat screen. I wish it could be a duplicate of the left screen. Otherwise, it is pretty useless. I will sometimes display the audio info while using GPS, or see the GPS directions there if the main head unit is on radio, but for the most point, I wish it had the same options as the left screen.

Hate would be a strong word for either complaint.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Some have come up with the idea of putting sticky buttons on the controls. Using touch/feel rather than taking eyes off the road. Especially at night.
I dislike (not hate) having to look down to adjust cruise. Sticky button, great idea.
Nothing beats a cruise control switch on a steering wheel stalk. Never once took my eyes off the road using one.
Other than that, I think it's an attractive dash layout. I'm an XLT.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's not the worst, but it's also not the best: it's clearly what ford could pull out of the parts bin without investing extra effort. I disregard all auto reviewers complaints about "hard plastic" (they're loonies who for some reason want pillowy crap that's hard to clean in a truck), but most of the comments above are on point (lousy control layout, wasted space). Some obvious features are missing for no apparent reason (electronic recline/memory seats). You can brush it off as "what do you expect, it's a truck" except ford marketing told us it was "all-new" and there are a lot of features which are convenience/comfort related so it's reasonable to want that set of things to be complete. (One thing that car reviewers too often ignore that does bug the crap out of me is how many shiny things there are in the interior--the glare is blinding when the sun is at the wrong angle, and the only reason those surfaces aren't matte is for appearance [appealing to people with questionable taste].)

Nomadjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I have a few comments here
  1. Compared to similarly priced cars (not other midsized trucks) the interior is primitive (this may or may not be a good thing but it does feel like you shouldn't have to pay for less.
  2. Not being able to adjust many of the climate control settings when you are using Apple Car Play or Android Auto is disappointing.
  3. As others have mentioned the Lariat dash cluster is a complete miss. I would rather have the one out of the XL/XLT.
Compared to other midsized trucks when I was shopping in the spring of 21 it was comparable or better.