What are you guys towing?

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
This our caravan (Travel Trailer in your lingo) its a Jayco 17 foot Outback pop top. The outback version has 4 wheel independent trailing arm coil suspension for travel on rough roads, a reinforced chassis, and extra water storage, batteries, gas, and solar power. Also all the cupboard framing is aluminum instead of wood for increased rigidity. Rough roads here kill caravans.

The pop top version was bought for three reasons,
(1) Both my wife and I are fairly tall, 6foot + so the pop top is nice and light and airy as it's actually a little bit higher inside when up, than a standard height caravan.
(2) So it will fit under our carport!
(3) It tows easier and more economically, less wind resistance.
It weighs (according to Jayco) 1950 Kg empty and has a ATM of 2400 Kg.

We rarely fill it that full unless doing a bit of bush camping, which means both water tanks full, more food, more beer, firewood, clothes, BBQ, extra camping fridge to keep beer cold, fold up chairs to sit back in and enjoy beer, etc.

If staying in parks we usually run pretty empty, just half fill the front tank, try to help local businesses, buy groceries along the way, and use the park's water, power, facilities etc.
We recently took it down to the Murray river in Victoria, which is about 3000 Km round trip from where we live.
The Ranger tows it easily.

IMG_0138.JPG

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Awesome!! Let me know how you like the Outlander 6x6, always on the fence to trade in my kingquad for one.
You might have to order it which was what we did about one year ago. Seems that all BRP made in this run went to customers. Polaris makes a 6x6 but rumors has it they will quit. Here is a thread about the Ountlander max that anyone can view.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
This our caravan (Travel Trailer in your lingo) its a Jayco 17 foot Outback pop top. The outback version has 4 wheel independent trailing arm coil suspension for travel on rough roads, a reinforced chassis, and extra water storage, batteries, gas, and solar power. Also all the cupboard framing is aluminum instead of wood for increased rigidity. Rough roads here kill caravans.

The pop top version was bought for three reasons,
(1) Both my wife and I are fairly tall, 6foot + so the pop top is nice and light and airy as it's actually a little bit higher inside when up, than a standard height caravan.
(2) So it will fit under our carport!
(3) It tows easier and more economically, less wind resistance.
It weighs (according to Jayco) 1950 Kg empty and has a ATM of 2400 Kg.

We rarely fill it that full unless doing a bit of bush camping, which means both water tanks full, more food, more beer, firewood, clothes, BBQ, extra camping fridge to keep beer cold, fold up chairs to sit back in and enjoy beer, etc.

If staying in parks we usually run pretty empty, just half fill the front tank, try to help local businesses, buy groceries along the way, and use the park's water, power, facilities etc.
We recently took it down to the Murray river in Victoria, which is about 3000 Km round trip from where we live.
The Ranger tows it easily.

IMG_0138.JPG
Well I sure haven't seen that model on their USA site haha, looks like a nice TT from the outside.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Well I sure haven't seen that model on their USA site haha, looks like a nice TT from the outside.
Jayco Australia is a separate company to the US one, and although they still have the rights to the name logos etc, most of the product is very different to the US product. When I get home I'll post couple of inside shots for you.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Jayco Australia is a separate company to the US one, and although they still have the rights to the name logos etc, most of the product is very different to the US product. When I get home I'll post couple of inside shots for you.
Very different....your door and awning are on the wrong side....:crackup::crackup:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Very different....your door and awning are on the wrong side....:crackup::crackup:
Not if you want to live a long life at roadside stops in this part of the world. :)
The power, water, and waste connections are on the other side as you would expect, because here you drive to the left of the services - well most of the time anyway, some parks have weird ideas about where the water, power, and drains should go:question:

Last edited:

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Not if you want to live a long life at roadside stops in this part of the world. :)
The power, water, and waste connections are on the other side as you would expect, because here you drive to the left of the services - well most of the time anyway, some parks have weird ideas about where the water, power, and drains should go:question:
sounds a lot like america except everything is on the wonky side of the road. Not matter where you go they all think water sewer electric hookups are either in the middle of the campsite, or in a back corner that your hoses and cables are 2 meters(6 feet) to short to reach.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
sounds a lot like america except everything is on the wonky side of the road. Not matter where you go they all think water sewer electric hookups are either in the middle of the campsite, or in a back corner that your hoses and cables are 2 meters(6 feet) to short to reach.

Don't forget the always fun sewer pipe that sticks out of the ground 6 inches. Even with the Camco slinky pipe holder thing you sometimes can't get enough drop to make the poo flow how it needs to without masturbating the damned hose.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
forget the door and Awning where is the sewer hookup? how are you going to get a clean flow that way..
For the grey water most powered sites have a drain near the power / water post you can drop a hose into. Or in some camps you can just run it on the ground, as long as you don't run it into someone else's site, or make a big mess, water is generally so precious here, that they're happy for you to recycle, and give their lawn or trees a free water.

Some NP's don't like you doing that and you are supposed to catch it or use a grey tank and dispose of it out of the park.

With regards to the sewer most people here use cassette type toilets in their vans and motor homes, most parks have one central dump point, so when your cassette is full ~20 litres, you pull it out and take it over to the dump point and empty it out. Obviously black water is never just tipped out on the ground. Big waste tanks you pump out for black water in RV's are as not as popular here as the US.

Last edited:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Here you go a couple of inside shots, these were taken just after we bought it last year so things are a little bare ( it's a 2015 model we bought it second hand during Covid when new vans were at least estimated 18 months delivery, or just simply not obtainable) Once you pop the roof with the lifting bars it's quite light and airy in there.

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

Last edited:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Don't forget the always fun sewer pipe that sticks out of the ground 6 inches. Even with the Camco slinky pipe holder thing you sometimes can't get enough drop to make the poo flow how it needs to without masturbating the damned hose.
A few hot curry s should fix that!

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Well, the Jeep is still giving me brake issues! Had both front calipers lock up on me while driving for the third time...guess that's part of why I got a trailer! Anyways, had to go get the Jeep, so thank goodness for the Ranger! Man does this impress me time and time again! trailer dry is about ~1700 lbs and the Jeep is approximately 4700 lbs (weighed at CAT Scale). The truck barely even knew it was there! But boy does the trailer brake make a nice difference when stopping! And of coarse, it's fall in Michigan, so had to make a stop by a cider mill while we were out for cider and donuts and an apple pie! Haha!

20211018_180839.jpg

20211018_184433.jpg

20211018_184439.jpg

20211018_184448.jpg
Wow! This is exactly the vehicle I want to tow with a Ranger I plan to order. Gobi 2DR Jeep JK as well! And I also had caliper issues, mine were sticking at some point on 3/4 corners. Turned out mud was getting under the piston boots and was causing corrosion.
Sponsored