Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It felt weird pulling the camper out, putting it back together, and packing it up today. Not only because it's February and winter, but because it only got up to -8F today. That was the high temp. Started the day at -28F. But luckily we're hitting the road for warmer places. Even though those places may only end up being in the 40s or 50s, that's still 50-60deg warmer than it has been here all week during the day (it hasn't gotten above 0F in over 7 days). Anyways, it's going to be sad to see the clean, shiny, and waxed camper get all dirty and salty. But such is life. haha

IMG_20210212_122229894_HDR.jpg
Hi Matt,

You MN polar bears enjoy the "warmer" climate. We here in SW Arizona are hunkered down in 73°F cold weather.... Have not seen an ice dam on my house here ever! In Michigan...I battled Ice Dams all the time....Lousy insulation job by the house builder!!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Few nights ago, I hauled a rental vehicle transporter trailer from a local 7-Eleven / YX gas station.

Hauled it like a champ! They’re great to transport pallets of firewood on, since they have a massive flat bottom and high payload capacity.
No safety chains in Norway?

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
Coachmen 34’...
Towed from Miami to Orlando no problems at all...

6C12A57E-3268-4C40-969E-B3BD8725D98D.jpeg

F999A5EF-739D-4E09-AC84-A55A7D29CAAD.jpeg

C74D75BB-C507-4D75-97B6-AA733CCEA6B9.jpeg
Wow that’s a little over the 7500 pound towing capacity. Glad it towed well.
Brian

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Most of Europe did away with the safety chain a long time ago. It's actually illegal to have one. They want the trailer to detach from the vehicle in case of an emergency.

If you look at the picture, there’s a steel wire coated in red protective rubber. It’s attached to the truck with a steel carabine hook, hanging of a steel shackle.

That wire is connected to the underside of the parking brake on the trailer, so the trailer comes off the truck. The wire gets pulled or yanked, and it pulls the parking brake on the trailer on full. Meaning it’ll lock the wheels up entirely.

So the wire is made strong enough to be able to get yanked, and pull the brakes on for full. But once the brakes are on for full, it'll simply snap.

So in one way it's kind of a good design, cause then if you loose the trailer. It'll detatch itself from the truck, then stop on its own.

If we simply had chains, it would just jump off.. Then rear end your truck as you stop.

The only trailers that are allowed to use a chain instead of an emergency brake wire, are trailers without brakes. These use a simple chain, but that’s because unbraked trailers over here are really small. You can’t get a big trailer without having brakes.

Hope this answers your question or concern!

I found a video on YouTube that explains it well, and shows it a bit better.

I’m familiar with the operation. I didn’t know Europe did away with the chains.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I am taking the bikes to Jennings GP. 93 octane, stock tune. Truck is basically stock except for FP Exhaust by Borla.

040E8C33-1D21-4E48-A9AE-48983916265C.jpeg

69B70500-FC07-4EA0-A21F-7DF62E2E83C4.jpeg

0295D325-A5D0-477E-B456-35BAD47FA7C0.jpeg

78DD0F74-CD3F-4C76-8DB8-3E1C4E73DDE0.jpeg

665BFCFD-1D53-4DBA-B386-E665A9099BE7.jpeg
You cant beat those Pit Bulls, I use with them with all my bikes.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
We did a 4 hour trip yesterday (one way) to central WI to pick up a used snow implement we bought down there.... It was quite cool for much of the trip and at times -15 when we left when we got away from the lake. We stay lots warmer!! But it was much warmer for the trip north. Got about 16mpg and drove quite fast.

P1090525.jpg

Last edited:

Lucky2013

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 STX Special Edition,
Occupation
Aircraft Master Mechanic
Most of Europe did away with the safety chain a long time ago. It's actually illegal to have one. They want the trailer to detach from the vehicle in case of an emergency.

If you look at the picture, there’s a steel wire coated in red protective rubber. It’s attached to the truck with a steel carabine hook, hanging of a steel shackle.

That wire is connected to the underside of the parking brake on the trailer, so the trailer comes off the truck. The wire gets pulled or yanked, and it pulls the parking brake on the trailer on full. Meaning it’ll lock the wheels up entirely.

So the wire is made strong enough to be able to get yanked, and pull the brakes on for full. But once the brakes are on for full, it'll simply snap.

So in one way it's kind of a good design, cause then if you loose the trailer. It'll detatch itself from the truck, then stop on its own.

If we simply had chains, it would just jump off.. Then rear end your truck as you stop.

The only trailers that are allowed to use a chain instead of an emergency brake wire, are trailers without brakes. These use a simple chain, but that’s because unbraked trailers over here are really small. You can’t get a big trailer without having brakes.

Hope this answers your question or concern!

I found a video on YouTube that explains it well, and shows it a bit better.

If you see older trailer out of the 50's here in the US then you will see that most of them had hydraulic brakes with a similar set up to activate the brakes in the case of a brake away. Sadly all of that changed with the first gooseneck / 5th wheel trailer. Now electric brakes are the standard. Only on some of the boat trailers you can find hydraulic brake systems. Born and raised in Europe and towing trailers all my life I can only say that electric brakes are the worst invention ever !!! That's why I use European horse trailers with inertia brakes.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Ouch, yeah.

That's why its better to not have the safety chains, the emergency brake wire is a better option. Cause then it just stops after falling off.. Instead of smashing into your truck like that, yikes.

You seemed to be lucky though, it damaged 'just' the tailgate. Isn't that a 'cheap' fix? Could be worse, it could have hit the bumper and damaged your frame.
Yeh, but chains are mandatory. Also have the brake wire, but the damaged happened when I was stopping. It was a bad coupler and luckily it happened in a parking lot when I went over a speed bump.
The part that really hurt was that I had just bought the truck and had put less than a 1000k on it.
At least it only cost a few hundred to repair.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
You cant beat those Pit Bulls, I use with them with all my bikes.
Wait til you get some TRS for your trailer. You'll never tie at the handle bars again.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I can confirm this. :shock:

Tailgate.jpg
Yes, but it won't cross the median and skewer a minivan full of children on their way to Grandmas house. The point of the chains is to keep the trailer under control and able to stop, not save your truck from it.

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Give a good hard look at a 04 K23BH. We need something just for the next few years and then it'll just be my wife and I and we'll get a couples trailer.
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 18.10.05.png

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Ouch, yeah.

That's why its better to not have the safety chains, the emergency brake wire is a better option. Cause then it just stops after falling off.. Instead of smashing into your truck like that, yikes.

You seemed to be lucky though, it damaged 'just' the tailgate. Isn't that a 'cheap' fix? Could be worse, it could have hit the bumper and damaged your frame.

I can agree with you that having an emergency wire to activate the brakes in the case of the trailer becoming disconnected from the tow vehicle being a good idea. The trailers with brakes in the USA all have that. Where I disagree with you is on safety chains. In the event that the trailer becomes accidentally disconnected from the hitch ball, it is way better to keep it attached to the tow vehicle than hoping that it just stays in the lane and comes to a stop. So what happens if the trailer pops off the hitch ball in a curve and goes straight, right into the oncoming traffic?
Sponsored