First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport Extended Cab
Occupation
Retired
I re-ran the update using the new files dated 8/30/2021 and got the XML file. Uploaded it to Ford and now the website reports I am up to date!
I successfully installed this update and received the XML file which I copied back onto my laptop computer. How do you Upload it to Ford?
I did select the file and double clicked (opened) it. That in turn showed an XML view of the file contents via a web compatible app. I'm not sure if this resulted in a notification to Ford.
Is there a particular Ford website that allowes you to upload this file?
Sponsored

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I successfully installed this update and received the XML file which I copied back onto my laptop computer. How do you Upload it to Ford?
I did select the file and double clicked (opened) it. That in turn showed an XML view of the file contents via a web compatible app. I'm not sure if this resulted in a notification to Ford.
Go back to the Ford Owner website where you downloaded the Sync 3 update. From that same screen, you can upload the XML file.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Go back to where you downloaded the file and click on browse for log at step three. Just single click to select the file and click ok/open or whatever it says to proceed and you should get a successful response. The log file should not open.

If this does not work for you and you have access to wifi from the vehicle, connect and scan for updates and that may update the Ford site. Though wifi process did not work for me for whatever reason.

If nothing works for you, you can leave things as-is. Ford just won’t know you have updated.

jjk2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport Extended Cab
Occupation
Retired
Go back to where you downloaded the file and click on browse for log at step three. Just single click to select the file and click ok/open or whatever it says to proceed and you should get a successful response. The log file should not open.

If this does not work for you and you have access to wifi from the vehicle, connect and scan for updates and that may update the Ford site. Though wifi process did not work for me for whatever reason.

If nothing works for you, you can leave things as-is. Ford just won’t know you have updated.
Thanks

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
So how big are these files? I don't have easy access to a Wifi connection, but I'd prefer the OTA rather than the USB. If I use my phone as a hotspot, how much data will be used during this process? Anyone try this?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I have tried several times to update via wifi. I park the truck close enough to our building that it is in range of company wifi. I can get it to start but it never seems to finish.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Updating system in my garage via wifi. Key in accessory mode. Progress is being made only so long as accessory is on. Is this how it's supposed to be done, and how long might this take to complete?
Thanks in advance for your insights!

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
I’m live in a rural area so my internet/WiFi speeds are poo poo. For people asking file size I don’t recall as I did the update a while ago but it was large , the 10Gb plus range if I recall correctly. I downloaded at work to a USB stick. Process was pretty simple.

Although I couldn’t get the XML file after to upload to the site after but having my truck check for update after I was done seem to relay the information to Ford that I was in the current version.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
The Sync version 3.4.21194 is 1.75G. All of the system updates are around that size. Map updates will approach 10G.

FWIW, when I got home in August with my 21 Ranger the first thing I did was turn on automatic updates and connect the truck to the home WiFi. Almost immediately it started down loading an update. I shut off the truck and went into the house. When I came out about an hour latter the Sync version had been updated from 3.4.21020 to 3.4.21098, the maps were still NA 1 19. The system notified me it was down loading another update. The next morning the maps had been updated from NA 1 19 to NA 2 20.

Since 3.4.21020 had broken the XM Travel Link integration I went on Cyanlabs and downloaded 3.4.21194 and installed. About two weeks later automatic updates downloaded and installed 3.4.21194 again. Now the Ford site says I am on 3.4.21194.

I never got an automatic update on my Mustang, always had to down load myself and install. I was pleasantly surprised that it works on the Ranger.

Another FWIW, 3.4.21246 is available on Cyanlabs. Supposedly it updates the voice packages but since mine system is working perfectly on 3.4.21194 I am going to hold off until more info on what changes are in it become known.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Another FWIW, 3.4.21246 is available on Cyanlabs. Supposedly it updates the voice packages but since mine system is working perfectly on 3.4.21194 I am going to hold off until more info on what changes are in it become known.
Stay with 21194. There's nothing in the new drop for a Ranger, besides a new voice package for Europe. That should be getting pushed OTA by itself anyway.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Stay with 21194. There's nothing in the new drop for a Ranger, besides a new voice package for Europe. That should be getting pushed OTA by itself anyway.
OTA for 2020 you mean. My late 2018 has no OTAs. Since I've upgraded to 3.4 I feel the voice package degraded, not the recognition of my voice (I speak the same) yet what it does with that. 3.3 used to fetch amazingly the mp3s. 3.4 missed badly. With 3.3 I used to say "Play wintersun". That's a finish melodic black metal band btw. Sync would say "Playing artist winter-son", and that's not my non native english prononciation, yet it would play, even if the Sync put the accent on the "son" and not "winter" as it should be. With 3.4 it's not doing anything ... the USB stick is the same.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
OTA for 2020 you mean. My late 2018 has no OTAs. Since I've upgraded to 3.4 I feel the voice package degraded, not the recognition of my voice (I speak the same) yet what it does with that. 3.3 used to fetch amazingly the mp3s. 3.4 missed badly. With 3.3 I used to say "Play wintersun". That's a finish melodic black metal band btw. Sync would say "Playing artist winter-son", and that's not my non native english prononciation, yet it would play, even if the Sync put the accent on the "son" and not "winter" as it should be. With 3.4 it's not doing anything ... the USB stick is the same.
Have you forced a re-index? I know there was an issue when going from 3.3 -> 3.4 with the USB media databases. Re-indexing addressed it.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Have you forced a re-index? I know there was an issue when going from 3.3 -> 3.4 with the USB media databases. Re-indexing addressed it.
No, I did not. I neglected this could be an issue, I will try that, thx!

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Thanks for the information on the latest update @UofMEngineer . Since everything has been working well with 21194, I was not looking forward to another update.
Sponsored