Sync 3 v3.4 Build 21194

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Has been released and is available for download on the Ford Owner website.

This update addresses the Sirius XM and Travel Link issue.

The total time to install the update was 23 minutes.

20210829_031647.jpg

Capture.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question for UofMEngineer...

What is the 14G391 file for? Prior to updating to Build 21194 that file was 5U5T-14G391-CN. After updating to Build 21194 that file is now 5U5T-14G391-CP. What was updated?

Last edited:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Updated via USB this morning since wifi would just spin forever. All is working but I cannot get the XML file. If I leave the USB in (or reinsert it) it seems to run the installation over again.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Question for UofMEngineer...

What is the 14G391 file for? Prior to updating to Build 21194 that file was 5U5T-14G391-CN. After updating to Build 21194 that file is now 5U5T-14G391-CP. What was updated?
Quite a bit. The 14G391 houses all the data needed for the voice commands & prompts, sans the address/POI info that resides in the nav voice package. As is typical, when this is rev'd there are numerous new commands added, like 'go home', that folks are trying to use but don't work in older releases. Other quality of life items like re-wording a prompt to be more helpful, added error catches (like trying to launch CP/AA by voice which the system doesn't support), or directing the system to a new path to improve the UX.

Other items are fixes or improvements for ~1,000 names for better recognition, fixes for contacts stored with emojis where it may not have generated all the correct variants, added flexibility for recognizing commands like 'call mom' if a contact is stored as 'mom & dad' or 'mom / dad' in the phonebook. These would need a phonebook update to trigger. Easiest method is to update a contact on the phone, or re-pair.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you've run into the scenario of having a partial map update with the missing nav voice pack, you'll now get an error prompt telling you to complete the map update if it detects that it's missing.

Last edited:

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Updated via USB this morning since wifi would just spin forever. All is working but I cannot get the XML file. If I leave the USB in (or reinsert it) it seems to run the installation over again.
Do you see a Delay option at the end of the autoinstall script? I know in that past that was left out by mistake so it's restart SYNC, then start the install all over again.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quite a bit. The 14G391 houses all the data needed for the voice commands & prompts, sans the address/POI info that resides in the nav voice package. As is typical, when this is rev'd there are numerous new commands added, like 'go home', that folks are trying to use but don't work in older releases. Other quality of life items like re-wording a prompt to be more helpful, added error catches (like trying to launch CP/AA by voice which the system doesn't support), or directing the system to a new path to improve the UX.

Other items are fixes or improvements for ~1,000 names for better recognition, fixes for contacts stored with emojis where it may not have generated all the correct variants, added flexibility for recognizing commands like 'call mom' if a contact is stored as 'mom & dad' or 'mom / dad' in the phonebook. These would need a phonebook update to trigger. Easiest method is to update a contact on the phone, or re-pair.
Great Information, thank you !!

I didn't receive the xml file for either of my installs this morning. What's more, I manually scanned for updates which usually forces the update to be recognized by Oasis, but Oasis and Ford Owner still reflect I have the old software even though both installs were successful.

Last edited:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Do you see a Delay option at the end of the autoinstall script? I know in that past that was left out by mistake so it's restart SYNC, then start the install all over again.
Here's the text for the 'Options' for 21194:
Options = AutoInstall,Delay

Now, here's what 20282 & 21020 have:
Options = AutoInstall,Delay,Include,Transaction

Should I update 21194 to match 20282/21020?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the text for the 'Options' for 21194:
Options = AutoInstall,Delay

Now, here's what 20282 & 21020 have:
Options = AutoInstall,Delay,Include,Transaction

Should I update 21194 to match 20282/21020?
Nope, no need. It shouldn't restart with that script unless you take the drive out and plug it back in after the reboot. Even then, it'd skip everything and try to run the XML tool at the end again. You can always hook up to WiFi and run a scan to see if that gets it to update on the backend. Works sometimes, others not. No idea why.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Nope, no need. It shouldn't restart with that script unless you take the drive out and plug it back in after the reboot. Even then, it'd skip everything and try to run the XML tool at the end again. You can always hook up to WiFi and run a scan to see if that gets it to update on the backend. Works sometimes, others not. No idea why.
Thanks. Wifi just spins forever. Will try it again another time.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I received this email from Ford today which closes out my previous escalation of the Sirius/Travel Link issues.

Good afternoon,

Our software team advised that the software update fix for Sirius XM Travel Link
released today. You can update the software yourself by visiting help.ford.com or
connecting your vehicle to your home Wi-Fi network and clicking Search for
Updates from your vehicle’s radio display.

You can also visit your dealership to get the update installed. You can provide the
following code and they will know what to do. The code is TSB 21-2263.

Your vehicle will be updated to SYNC 3 Version 3.4.21194.
If you have any questions, please contact us via phone by calling 800-392-3673.

Voltune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019 XLT 4x4 Supercab (302A)
I connected Sync to my home wireless network to find there was an update available from version 21020 to 21194 and it proceeded to download the file. After about 10 minutes, I realized it was going going to take an hour or more to download and ended up taking the key out of the ignition and would try again when I had more time.

The next day, when I went to scan for updates to start the download again, it said I had the latest version. I checked and it said I was at 21194! I didn't believe it, but it was true. Even though I shut off the power and pulled the key out of the ignition, it apparently stayed connected to my home network, downloaded, and installed the update. I know you don’t have to start the vehicle and keep it running, but I thought at the very least you had to keep the power on in accessory mode. if this is normal behavior, this is a very cool feature!

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I connected Sync to my home wireless network to find there was an update available from version 21020 to 21194 and it proceeded to download the file. After about 10 minutes, I realized it was going going to take an hour or more to download and ended up taking the key out of the ignition and would try again when I had more time.

The next day, when I went to scan for updates to start the download again, it said I had the latest version. I checked and it said I was at 21194! I didn't believe it, but it was true. Even though I shut off the power and pulled the key out of the ignition, it apparently stayed connected to my home network, downloaded, and installed the update. I know you don’t have to start the vehicle and keep it running, but I thought at the very least you had to keep the power on in accessory mode. if this is normal behavior, this is a very cool feature!
That’s how it normally works. Some try to sit and wait it out instead of letting it go in the background but there’s really no need for that.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
After finally getting the wifi to connect, it downloaded one file and now the vehicle reports up to date. The web site still says I still have 21194 available.

Then, I redownloaded from the website and it looks like they made a small change from the 27th and now the files are all dated 8/30/2021. The autoinstall now includes this line for options:
- Options = AutoInstall,Delay,Include,Transaction
All the other files are the same size as before so I cannot tell if they changed anything other than the date/time stamp.

I may try and run it again to see what happens.

OP
OP

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I updated my 2019 F150 and Ranger the day the 21194 update became available. Never received an XML file for either vehicle and scanned for updates. All software is up to date. Neither Oasis nor Ford Owner recognizes the update has been installed even though both were successful.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I updated my 2019 F150 and Ranger the day the 21194 update became available. Never received an XML file for either vehicle and scanned for updates. All software is up to date. Neither Oasis nor Ford Owner recognizes the update has been installed even though both were successful.
I re-ran the update using the new files dated 8/30/2021 and got the XML file. Uploaded it to Ford and now the website reports I am up to date!
Sponsored