BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
TechnicallyReal, thanks for your response! As far as #4, the bright indicator light, it doesn't dim with the dash lights. It looks more like a warning light than an information light. It would be smarter if it was part of the led display, like the 4H/4L information lights...
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
2020 XLT FX4, towing a 3500-4000# camper in the Colorado Rockies. Love it. 25mpg in town, 13mpg towing, and no strain over our passes. I’m curious if anyone has investigated the performance upgrade ($800) to add 50ho and 50 ft-lbs of torque? Downside is needing premium gas...
Honestly, if you're not running premium currently, you're missing out on 10-20% of the available power of these engines in the first place. I've run premium since after the first dealer tank (same thing on my 2.3 ecoboost mustang) and it's a noticeable improvement.

missesbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew Sport
I didn't use a WDH, although I do have one set up for my Ram 2500 pulling my 10,000 travel trailer, so I do have experience with them. For my use with my utility trailer I don't think I'll use the WDH, but it would have easily leveled my truck. I will install either air bags (I've had them on two trucks, they work great), or possibly an add-a-leaf, to handle the sag when loaded. As I haul motorcycles in the box from time to time as well, I think the air bags would be the better solution for me. More flexibility in load leveling. I also pull my ski boat and I have a small 4x8 flatbed trailer that sees some use as well, so the airbags would probably be best...

I had no sway issues towing my trailer on my last trip
That's helpful to know! Happy towing!

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
These are the bones. My towing experience was actually great. Gobs of power, lots of torque available. The loaded trailer slightly magnified the stock FX4 shocks weaknesses. I'm swapping for Eibach soon. Eibach or Bilstein should cure the wallow. The truck tracks well with the trailer properly loaded, no porpoislng at all. The trailer dropped the bumper by about an inch and a half. I didn't re-aim my headlights, so I got flashed - a lot.
I recently got my FX4, so only got a few hundred miles on it. What issues do you have with the FX4 shocks and what specific Eibach or Bilstein's are you considering?

Thanks

mark

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
... I will install either air bags (I've had them on two trucks, they work great), or possibly an add-a-leaf, to handle the sag when loaded. As I haul motorcycles in the box from time to time as well, I think the air bags would be the better solution for me. More flexibility in load leveling. I also pull my ski boat and I have a small 4x8 flatbed trailer that sees some use as well, so the airbags would probably be best...
I am interested in adding air bags to my Ranger but for different reasons.. I would like to lower the rear end to level the truck rather than lift the front end. The forward rake look is not really my thing, and I really dislike the lifted look that seems to be all the rage around here. I think lowering the rear to match the front is much ideal, so I'm thinking about getting my leaf springs modified to accomplish this, and then I'd use air bags to keep the truck level when my trailer is hooked up.

Have you had experience with the spring half of this equation? I saw a video a while back where a shop took apart leaf springs and used a machine to bend them straighter.. I'm not sure what the process is actually called or where I could go to learn more about it.

OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I am interested in adding air bags to my Ranger but for different reasons.. I would like to lower the rear end to level the truck rather than lift the front end. The forward rake look is not really my thing, and I really dislike the lifted look that seems to be all the rage around here. I think lowering the rear to match the front is much ideal, so I'm thinking about getting my leaf springs modified to accomplish this, and then I'd use air bags to keep the truck level when my trailer is hooked up.

Have you had experience with the spring half of this equation? I saw a video a while back where a shop took apart leaf springs and used a machine to bend them straighter.. I'm not sure what the process is actually called or where I could go to learn more about it.
The Ranger has a single-leaf rear spring on each side. The only way I can think of to lower the back would be to get different shackles. I've seen a few lowered, but I don't know how it's done. I'm one of those lifted guys. I work off road on pipeline construction, so I need the clearance. Sorry!

OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I recently got my FX4, so only got a few hundred miles on it. What issues do you have with the FX4 shocks and what specific Eibach or Bilstein's are you considering?

Thanks

mark
The stock FX4 shocks are valved on the soft side, which makes the truck feel sort of "wallowy", for lack of a better word. I've used Bilstein 5200s on several previous trucks and love them. They are a little stiffer, giving a better, more controlled feeling, especially on the rebound.

This time around, since the Eibachs have such a good reputation among the Ranger crowd I'm giving them a try. I've ordered the Eibach struts and the matching rear shocks. The struts will lift the front about 2 1/2", and can be adjusted for height if I need to go higher. If you're not concerned about leveling or lifting you can save a bunch by just replacing the rear shocks. I've heard others have cured the wallow with just rears.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
The stock FX4 shocks are valved on the soft side, which makes the truck feel sort of "wallowy", for lack of a better word. I've used Bilstein 5200s on several previous trucks and love them. They are a little stiffer, giving a better, more controlled feeling, especially on the rebound.

This time around, since the Eibachs have such a good reputation among the Ranger crowd I'm giving them a try. I've ordered the Eibach struts and the matching rear shocks. The struts will lift the front about 2 1/2", and can be adjusted for height if I need to go higher. If you're not concerned about leveling or lifting you can save a bunch by just replacing the rear shocks. I've heard others have cured the wallow with just rears.
I'm one of those who got Eibachs in the rear to help reduce wallow/bounciness and they did the job for me!

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
A suggestion for everyone for all topics... If you are going to use an acronym to refer to something please define it the first time you use it. Then you are good to go from that point on (including subsequent posts). It took me several moment to realize that WDH meant Weight Distribution Hitch.
Not all of us are experienced or frequently tow trailers.

Thanks for being patient. It IS a very informative thread.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
#2 (upside down connector) seemed odd to me as well. It hasn't been an issue with my trailer but I was thinking of flipping it (I wonder if it's as easy as it seems like it should be).
Flipping it is not an option, it seems:

1604933347885.png

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Interestingly enough the list price on equivalent base models (6cyl colorado) equipped for towing is basically the same--like the manufacturers almost had a price point they were trying to hit.
Seems more likely to me that this is due to the different manufactures being constrained by the same realities of engineering and economics.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Seems more likely to me that this is due to the different manufactures being constrained by the same realities of engineering and economics.
tomatoe tomahto. economics==price point. they can make something better, but it would cost more and nobody would buy it because they could buy something else that's close enough for less money. at a given price point any manufacturer can do better at something (and will, so they can talk about it in ads) but they can't do everything better. the price target they need to hit is basically dictated by the existing prevailing prices. you can change that a little bit at a time, but you can't come in radically higher and still sell product. (unless you're selling something dramatically better that makes people open their wallets--and thus far, no manufacturers have been willing to make a billion dollar bet that they can do that in the midsize truck segment. much safer to change a little bit at a time.)

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
1. Seriously. A trailer towing package without a brake controller???? C'mon, Ford!
2. The umbilical outlet is mounted upside down in the rear bumper.
3. The truck knows when a trailer has been plugged in. But you have to manually press the Trailer Tow button
4. When the trailer tow button is pushed, a very bright orange icon lights up on the dash. It isn't dimmable with the rest of the display.
5. Towing mirrors. Should be part of the towing package, no?
6. Tiny fuel tank. But you knew that already, didn't you Ford.
7. This is more of a wish than pointing out obvious failures. My 2017 Nissan Titan had headlights that could be adjusted from inside the cab.

These are the bones. My towing experience was actually great. Gobs of power, lots of torque available. T
#1 I agree with
#2 doesn't really bother me, but I do agree that it should be the other way
#3 To each his own on this one. I prefer the tow mode not come on. More often than not I tow short distances and don't want the tow mode on. I only want it on when I do a mountain trip.
#4 I completely agree
#5 Have to disagree with you on this. I absolutely do NOT want tow mirrors to come with the tow package. That being said, Ford should have tow mirrors available as an option
#6 Yes it is small. Embarrassing. It hurts my manhood :frown:
#7 THAT would be an awesome feature. Didn't even know any vehicle had that.

I completely disagree with those that think you are expecting too much from a mid-sized truck and fully disagree with the poster that said these are "lifestyle trucks". Really? I only bought mine because I was tired of driving a full size truck. It is and will be a full out work truck. Yes...I am very disappointed there are no stake pockets, so I can haul more junk with it. What's wrong with wanting "truck" capabilities, but in a smaller size? These are full blown work trucks in all markets except North America.
The original poster may have been a bit over zealous in his critique (sorry BowWow), but he didn't complain about anything that couldn't or shouldn't be on or available with a mid-size truck.

BTW BowWow, it's good to know the truck handled 7k through the BC/AB mountains. I haven't had to test mine yet, but was concerned with how it would do hauling my 6k boat from Vancouver to the Okanangan.
FYI, I installed a set of airbags just so I won't get the headlight flash when towing.
Let me know how the Eibachs work for you. I do find the Ranger wallows/bounces a bit to much with a load.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
DHH, thanks for your well-considered reply. Perhaps I was a bit zealous (but not overly so ?) in my original post, but I wrote it sitting in the driver's seat at the end of a 14 hour/1200 km day pulling the trailer home, and wanted it to be fresh. And I had had 14 hours to think about it! Lol!

I have the Eibachs on now, front and rear, and they make a significant difference. They feel very much like Bilstein 5100's, with similar compression and rebound valving. It's a bit stiffer ride, not uncomfortable at all, but feels more controlled. Highly recommended!
Sponsored