Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Gainfully umployed 5 Pointed Star
Groo here
I must be old-old school.
We never worried about tung weight unless the front of the truck got loose...
Rather towed flat[ multi axle trailer] so as to put as much weight on the trailer axles[to high or low effects the trailer brake performance] .
With a hitch receiver that is adjustable that is usually easy.
Then load the trailer as even as possible. or load trailer and observe the level -ness as it is easy to put too much weight forward or back.
Going down hill with one axle locked [aka next to no breaking] is ruff on tyres and the nerves...
when towing a 4 horse trailer [twin axles] it is easy to get out of balance...
We only went to a wdh when we used a truck bed camper or a motor home [as most have a very long distance from the rear axle to the hitch... and sag badly...
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Is there an aftermarket trailer sway for the rear on the ranger?
Calling them sway bars is really a misnomer, should be called stabilizer bars. They also really do not do much to stop or prevent trailer sway if the trailer hitch is not set up properly.
Groo here
I must be old-old school.
We never worried about tung weight unless the front of the truck got loose...
Rather towed flat[ multi axle trailer] so as to put as much weight on the trailer axles[to high or low effects the trailer brake performance] .
With a hitch receiver that is adjustable that is usually easy.
Then load the trailer as even as possible. or load trailer and observe the level -ness as it is easy to put too much weight forward or back.
Going down hill with one axle locked [aka next to no breaking] is ruff on tyres and the nerves...
when towing a 4 horse trailer [twin axles] it is easy to get out of balance...
We only went to a wdh when we used a truck bed camper or a motor home [as most have a very long distance from the rear axle to the hitch... and sag badly...
Definitely "Old School"
There is a reason tongue weight is recommended to be between 10 and 15 percent of trailer weight. Too much and as you mentioned you loose steering control as well as braking. Remember the majority of you trucks braking is on your front wheels. Too little tongue weight and you loose traction and control with the rear of the truck, a major factor in controlling sway. Once the trailer stars moving the back of the truck around you are in trouble. A WDH is especially important with heavier trailers. Even with the trailer properly balance the tongue weight can be high enough to to cause sag and take too much weight off the front wheels. A WDH allows you to transfer some of the tongue weight back to the front wheels for steering control and braking.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
My camper is almost identical to size and weight of yours. I use a WD hutch and a sway control bar. I found having more tongue weight made a significant improvement(towing with water in the tanks). I’ve got different tires than stock, and I air up to 45-48psi. In windy conditions, I still notice sway. A change in suspension And the addition of a rear sway bar may be in order to further improve things
what tongue weight are you running?

Moorenate92

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat tow package
Occupation
Technology teacher
I am using my 2021 Ranger Lariat to tow my Cruiser MPG 2100 RB. I have not towed it far yet, but I never tow it with water in the tanks, we load it up as most would. It is just me, wife and 20 pound dog. We carry what most do without a lot of extras. No issues so far. I do have the Blue OX sway/equilizer hook up. My dry weight of my trailer is 5500# but I figured after loading it with bedding and supplies, we are about 6300#. Hitch weight is about 700#. It seems to pull it nice, but we are planning on a trip from Michigan to Pigeon Forge next summer. Has anyone towed down I 75 south near Kentucky/Tennessee border with a similar set up? I plan in sticking around the 55/60 MPH range as we will be in no hurry. Just curious about the elevations and what to expect.

65298141406__6E915269-93D7-4E61-9984-6EFABCC7CA7A.jpg

JACER

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I haven't towed in quite awhile, but in the past,, a popup, 2 tag-alongs, & 2 5th wheels.

I highly recommend you take truck & trailer to a truck stop weigh station, or even a moving company, as many have their own scales. (It would have been great to have done this before you loaded anything in the trailer). Weigh both truck (full of gas & any extra gear including wifey), & trailer while hitched together & then each separately. (I don't believe you need to take the dog cause you already know what she weighs)!!!

This will take the surprise element out of any of your adventures.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I am using my 2021 Ranger Lariat to tow my Cruiser MPG 2100 RB. I have not towed it far yet, but I never tow it with water in the tanks, we load it up as most would. It is just me, wife and 20 pound dog. We carry what most do without a lot of extras. No issues so far. I do have the Blue OX sway/equilizer hook up. My dry weight of my trailer is 5500# but I figured after loading it with bedding and supplies, we are about 6300#. Hitch weight is about 700#. It seems to pull it nice, but we are planning on a trip from Michigan to Pigeon Forge next summer. Has anyone towed down I 75 south near Kentucky/Tennessee border with a similar set up? I plan in sticking around the 55/60 MPH range as we will be in no hurry. Just curious about the elevations and what to expect.

65298141406__6E915269-93D7-4E61-9984-6EFABCC7CA7A.jpg
Nice looking setup. sounds like a trip to Dollywood. Mine rig is about 4200 loaded and I towed it out to Arizona and back to Wisconsin last year. Did several 6% grades with no problems both up and down, the Ranger is a towing beast. You should be fine, just use tow mode and lock out 9th and 10th gears. Being a turbo elevation really does not affect the Ranger much. Just be prepared for the gas mileage, figure about 10+ pulling that much frontal area. Staying under 65 will help, going over that and the mileage goes down quick. The suggestion to weigh your trig is a good one. You then know where you stand and can make adjustments to the hitch, and loading, if necessary.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
there's a particular grade headed south just inside TN that'll get the truck working, for sure.

after that, there's not so much. Pigeon Forge is before the next big climb.
Sponsored