First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Tech Support Eng
I tow a Rockwood 2304S just fine without weight distribution hitch or anti sway.
23.75 ft
Dry 4,605 lbs payload capacity of 1800 lbs
Hitch weight 661 lbs
Using the Ford Tow Pro Elite.

45A70C7E-1CCE-4B55-A44A-A4144FA83FEA.jpeg

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired

OUT4DUX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Construction
Just cross posting here in case anyone is need of rear spring help. I have a set of Timbrens for sale in the Marketplace forum.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
D8666998-FF2D-43D3-9BAC-F98B0803A38B.jpeg

Just bought this Jayco. Tows and stops easy.
1599284561898.png

Me too! That trailer is actually the reason I bought my Ranger.

I had a '16 KIA Sorento SX with 3500 lbs towing capacity and 350 lbs max tongue weight. I expected the trailer to be around 3050 lbs (2945 lbs on the website + I was told about 100 lbs extra for fiberglass exterior). I was okay with a 3050 lbs trailer since we'd have well under 450 lbs cargo and therefore not reach the towing limits of the vehicle.

When the trailer arrived it turned out to be a 2021 model which apparently grew to 3075 lbs (130 lbs more than 2020). And the fiberglass exterior appears to add 160 lbs, not 100 lbs like I was told. Our trailer's sticker shows it as 3237 lbs dry. That left me only 263 lbs from the limit of the vehicle without even adding any cargo.

It actually towed pretty well, but even without any cargo in it there was a lot of rear sag in the vehicle. When I looked into getting a weight-distribution hitch to level it, I realized that the weight of the hitch itself would put me way over the max tongue weight of 350 lbs, which I was already uncomfortably close to.

Now with the Ranger I don't have to worry about any of this! :)

MattSucks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
1599284561898.png

Me too! That trailer is actually the reason I bought my Ranger.

I had a '16 KIA Sorento SX with 3500 lbs towing capacity and 350 lbs max tongue weight. I expected the trailer to be around 3050 lbs (2945 lbs on the website + I was told about 100 lbs extra for fiberglass exterior). I was okay with a 3050 lbs trailer since we'd have well under 450 lbs cargo and therefore not reach the towing limits of the vehicle.

When the trailer arrived it turned out to be a 2021 model which apparently grew to 3075 lbs (130 lbs more than 2020). And the fiberglass exterior appears to add 160 lbs, not 100 lbs like I was told. Our trailer's sticker shows it as 3237 lbs dry. That left me only 263 lbs from the limit of the vehicle without even adding any cargo.

It actually towed pretty well, but even without any cargo in it there was a lot of rear sag in the vehicle. When I looked into getting a weight-distribution hitch to level it, I realized that the weight of the hitch itself would put me way over the max tongue weight of 350 lbs, which I was already uncomfortably close to.

Now with the Ranger I don't have to worry about any of this! :)
Did we just become best friends!!! ?

Ranger_Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
Hello, I just found this thread - we have purchased the Lance 1995 and was also concerned about the tongue weight that will eventually be exerted on my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew. I have found that Draw-Tite has a hitch for the Ranger that is rated at 1250lbs tongue weight and 7500lbs tow capacity. My calculations show that I will need about 780lbs of tongue weight (13%). Ford states that WDH is not required (but I think I would rather have one). Have any of you investigated changing out the Tow Bar on the Ranger itself?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hello, I just found this thread - we have purchased the Lance 1995 and was also concerned about the tongue weight that will eventually be exerted on my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew. I have found that Draw-Tite has a hitch for the Ranger that is rated at 1250lbs tongue weight and 7500lbs tow capacity. My calculations show that I will need about 780lbs of tongue weight (13%). Ford states that WDH is not required (but I think I would rather have one). Have any of you investigated changing out the Tow Bar on the Ranger itself?
The tongue weight rating isn’t just dependent on the hitch, and the existing ranger hitch is literally part of the rear bumper, so you would need to find someone to trade bumpers with anyways.

the tongue weight is based on weight that you can safely put on the rear frame without removing too much weight from the front axle. Every lb you put on the tongue is an lb that you can’t load into the truck, so I would strongly recommend something with less tongue weight.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The tongue weight rating isn’t just dependent on the hitch, and the existing ranger hitch is literally part of the rear bumper, so you would need to find someone to trade bumpers with anyways.

the tongue weight is based on weight that you can safely put on the rear frame without removing too much weight from the front axle. Every lb you put on the tongue is an lb that you can’t load into the truck, so I would strongly recommend something with less tongue weight.
I whole heartely agree. You are obviously looking to pull very near max numbers. I know Ford does not specify the need for a WDH, but pulling an RV of that weight/size should require it. For sway control if nothing else. Remember frontal area is a mileage killer, side area and balance are what matter for sway control.

Also remember tongue is not just weight at the trailer hitch, it includes the weight of the complete WDH assembly. These can be quite heavy themselves.

IMO get a lighter/smaller trailer or a bigger truck.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I’ll be renting a travel trailer with an empty weight of 4K but loaded it will be closer to 4700lbs. I’ve done the math numerous times with all of the acronyms. I’m good on all of the numbers but I’m at 96% of GVWR on the truck with a topper. The trailer is 23’ from the hitch. Frankly , I can’t see how people are making their numbers pulling the trailers I’m seeing on here unless they are totally empty.
Edit.
The trailer I’m looking at has a 15% recommended tongue load. That’s not helping.

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Sport Pack
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
Good day. I'm a new owner of a Ford Ranger XLT. I am looking for buying a RV and the one I'm looking at right now has a dry weight of 4500 lbs. Given that I want to do a lot of traveling with it (not just carrying on the RV from my home to a nearby camping site), I suspect it's too heavy. I heard somebody telling me I should not go beyond 4000 lbs. Does anybody can help me with this? Thanks in advance.
Does your Ranger have the factory trailer tow package? If not the tow rating is greatly reduced. Just adding a 2"receiver is only part of the solution.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I’ll be renting a travel trailer with an empty weight of 4K but loaded it will be closer to 4700lbs. I’ve done the math numerous times with all of the acronyms. I’m good on all of the numbers but I’m at 96% of GVWR on the truck with a topper. The trailer is 23’ from the hitch. Frankly , I can’t see how people are making their numbers pulling the trailers I’m seeing on here unless they are totally empty.
Edit.
The trailer I’m looking at has a 15% recommended tongue load. That’s not helping.
I tend to agree with you. I think all they look at is the 7500 pound tow capacity. They don't look at the GCVWR of the entire setup and what they end up putting in the bed and cabin. Also I don't think they realize the tongue weight along with the weight of the hitch, which can be quit heavy, all figures into the payload and the GVWR of the truck. Hence the need to use you friendly truck scale to verify ALL you weights.

There is also a big difference towing one of these behemoths on a short weekend trip to a local campground and loading it up for an extended cross country tour. Towing at near highway speeds on the interstate in bad weather can be anything but relaxing. Not to mention the frequent fuel stops.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I tend to agree with you. I think all they look at is the 7500 pound tow capacity. They don't look at the GCVWR of the entire setup and what they end up putting in the bed and cabin. Also I don't think they realize the tongue weight along with the weight of the hitch, which can be quit heavy, all figures into the payload and the GVWR of the truck. Hence the need to use you friendly truck scale to verify ALL you weights.

There is also a big difference towing one of these behemoths on a short weekend trip to a local campground and loading it up for an extended cross country tour. Towing at near highway speeds on the interstate in bad weather can be anything but relaxing. Not to mention the frequent fuel stops.
Omg the fuel stops are insanity. I quite literally get range anxiety and am considering carrying 5 gallons in a can.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Is there an aftermarket trailer sway for the rear on the ranger?