Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger without factory tow package.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Make me sorry for the people who frugally out, and decided to tow something later. Ford really should have made it know that this model was handy caped in the towing potential.
It's not even that people were being cheap--most people are stuck just taking what's on the dealer lot, and there's nothing in the ford manual that suggests it would be this hard to add a brake controller to a specific trim line with a specific set of options. (For what it's worth, you need trailer brakes to use the full rated bumper tow capacity of the ranger in my state--it's not like there's no possibility someone might want a brake controller even without hitch receiver.) People could do what I did and special order their vehicle to make sure they get exactly the options they want, but we've seen how that's going for the bronco guys. :facepalm: There are heck of a lot of dealer-ordered trucks without tow packages, and ford's position seems to be that they prefer the system of people taking whatever crap the dealers order.
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
ford's position seems to be that they prefer the system of people taking whatever crap the dealers order.
I've come to the point where I simply won't buy a truck or SUV without the tow package anymore if it's something that's available as an option on the vehicle. the one exception being if the tow package uses a 1 1/4" receiver. I don't have a problem with that for light duty towing on a small vehicle - whatever. but when it comes to attaching a bike rack, the larger 2" receivers have noticeably less wobble/sway than the 1 1/4" ones.

I'd just as soon use a roof mounted bike rack before I used a 1 1/4" one.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
I actually negotiated the tow package on my truck. It's on my billing sheet, but somehow the dealer forgot to add it on. I made 2, 8 hour round trips to buy this truck. First time they told me the truck was in PDI. I told them I was going across town to buy the same truck with the tow package that was on the lot gassed up ready to go. That's when the dance started. I negotiated the price down, the tow package, and they sent me home in a new F150 until the truck was ready. When I drove back down to pick up the truck and saw there was no hitch, they apologized and said they would get it installed and drive the truck up to me if they had to. I said screw it, give me the truck, refund the $500 for the tow package and make my first truck payment. They agreed and I ended up with a stupid easy inexpensive hitch installation. An easy, inexpensive 7 pin installation, and a not so easy not so inexpensive TBC installation.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I had known about the missing wires. It was the frustration of trying to find them. Once I came to peace with them not being there, the workaround is relatively easy if you're familiar with running wiring.

pyphb

First Name
Pyp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Buy stuff
blue and yellow wires up under the dash - Should be taped under/near the LHS kick panel. (4 wires - taped - yellow, violet, blue, white) - Yellow 12v from battery junction box, Blue - harness to rear - that you need to connect up under rear wheel arch.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab
I actually negotiated the tow package on my truck. It's on my billing sheet, but somehow the dealer forgot to add it on. I made 2, 8 hour round trips to buy this truck. First time they told me the truck was in PDI. I told them I was going across town to buy the same truck with the tow package that was on the lot gassed up ready to go. That's when the dance started. I negotiated the price down, the tow package, and they sent me home in a new F150 until the truck was ready. When I drove back down to pick up the truck and saw there was no hitch, they apologized and said they would get it installed and drive the truck up to me if they had to. I said screw it, give me the truck, refund the $500 for the tow package and make my first truck payment. They agreed and I ended up with a stupid easy inexpensive hitch installation. An easy, inexpensive 7 pin installation, and a not so easy not so inexpensive TBC installation.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I had known about the missing wires. It was the frustration of trying to find them. Once I came to peace with them not being there, the workaround is relatively easy if you're familiar with running wiring.
Ford will sell you the missing wires as it turns out. The part listed in the dealer bulletin for the early 2019 trucks that were missing the wiring even with the tow package is available for $54 and looks like it will let you install the blue /yellow wires to under the drives dash. It does involve replacing pins from the large wiring connectors on the drivers side frame rail as detailed in Jeff in Ohio's excellent write up earlier in this thread.

I elected to run my own two wires as it seemed like a simpler option. If anyone wants the Ford part, I have one for sale :)

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger that did not come from factory with the tow package and says maximum towing capacity for my 2020 XL 4x4 is 1650 lbs. Ford Customer service says what the dealer told me is correct. Technically I guess, the rear hitch is simply bolt on and can be added to any Ranger. It would however be a pointless upgrade as without the ability to install a brake controller, you cannot tow over 1650 lbs. I know I can easily add an aftermarket TBC but am trying to maintain compliance with other Ford systems like the emergency braking by using the correct Ford part.

Reading through this forum it seems others have had the the dealer install the hitch (all that is in the factory tow package) and TBC. Can anyone specifically confirm this?

Added below for clarity:

I have already purchased and installed the OEM hitch / wiring and (almost) the Ford Redarc TBC as I was hoping to tow my 4250 lb trailer on the belief that the hitch (and 7 pin wiring) was all that was included in the factory tow package, therefore getting me the max 7500 lb capacity.

I was stuck completing the install of the TBC as I couldn't find the two wires under the dash so I took it to the dealer for help. I wanted the Ford Redarc part to ensure compatibility with the emergency braking system. The dealer is telling me that this is not possible on a truck without the factory tow package, therefor limiting me to 1650 lbs - or 3500 lbs if I put an aftermarket TBC in that will not work with the EBS.
Forget about the dealer. Follow advice to see a local hitch installer. Your truck will EASILY tow WAY more than 4200 lbs.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Being the soon to be owner of a 2021 Ranger (have a VIN and build date) who intends to tow a 3500 lb trailer with it, I have been reading all I can on this board especially as it relates to towing.
I have read several postings that essentially say "why waste your money on the factory tow package?" Saying all you get is the wiring and hitch and any good trailer place can do it for less.
All I can say after reading through this thread is I am glad I spent the money on the "factory" tow package for my XL.
It does make you scratch your head to think Ford has somehow singled out the XL owners to leave off the important wiring. Seems like it would make more sense to just use one wiring harness on all Rangers.
And to hear a dealer mention a cooler being part of the towing package???... not true for sure. View attachment 104648 View attachment 104648
This is our new TT waiting for our Ranger.
i bought an XLT, 2019, with a tow package. Mine did not have the wiring for an electronic brake controller. Cost 703$$ for dealer to install; wiring and controller with labor.

Vger900

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
pretty much. phones aren't much good for multitasking. a few apps can do it, but others - psh. I think the idea of this thing is that the tbc app is up all the time just in case you need to use it.

my phone gets used for maps and music (sometimes both), so using it to control my trailer brake is a nonstarter.
I have the Curt controller and I have an older phone that has been replaced by a new one. This older phone's Bluetooth is used only for the Curt. I tow a 5000lb+ camper with my '19 Ranger, and I've never had an issue with braking.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I have the Curt controller and I have an older phone that has been replaced by a new one. This older phone's Bluetooth is used only for the Curt. I tow a 5000lb+ camper with my '19 Ranger, and I've never had an issue with braking.
also a nonstarter. not keeping 2 phones in my truck so that one can specifically control my trailer brakes. just a dumb idea. some people obviously like it. I very clearly don't.

now, if curt came up with apple carplay/android auto integration, there might be something behind it. but I have a feeling that the restrictions for the car apps would prevent such a thing from working as needed.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
i bought an XLT, 2019, with a tow package. Mine did not have the wiring for an electronic brake controller. Cost 703$$ for dealer to install; wiring and controller with labor.
That's probably about right for the controller and dealer install. The missing wires should have been supplied and installed under a TSB.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Some '19 and '20 XLs are missing the TBC wiring. Basically you only need two additional wires for the TBC. Unfortunately neither are simple to install. You'll need a +12v from the battery, and you'll need a brake output wire to run from the cab under the truck to connect to the blue brake wire.

Both of these will require going through the firewall. It really isn't that difficult of a job if you're familiar with running auto wiring.
So... One of the main reasons I picked the 2021 Ranger was the HUGHLY advertised 7,500 lb towing capacity.

Well, unlike my '05 F150 Lariat, which had a plug and play connector under the dash for TBCs, the Ranger has NO SUCH connector. To make it even better, Ford advises in order to have ACC and AEB function you must use the factory approved Redarc controller.

AND, the Redarc instructions require the braking signal come from the third brake light, requiring removal of the headliner.

Imagine what Ford's shop rate will charge you for this install. Kemo Sabe is about right on the cost.

Dealer service dept. where I purchased said they had not installed one as of 3/2021, and the other dealer that installed it said it was such a PITA they should have charged more!

Did plenty of homework on this, and this forum has this topic ad naseam.
Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

So to keep the functionality of the truck, AND keep things under factory warranty, there was some wallet pain.

Not really sure Ford made any real accommodations for installing TBCs.

IMHO, BIG FAIL on Ford's part for trailer haulers who want to tow at said advertised capacity.

BTW, real happy with the Redarc.

Enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited: