Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger without factory tow package.

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab
Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger that did not come from factory with the tow package and says maximum towing capacity for my 2020 XL 4x4 is 1650 lbs. Ford Customer service says what the dealer told me is correct. Technically I guess, the rear hitch is simply bolt on and can be added to any Ranger. It would however be a pointless upgrade as without the ability to install a brake controller, you cannot tow over 1650 lbs. I know I can easily add an aftermarket TBC but am trying to maintain compliance with other Ford systems like the emergency braking by using the correct Ford part.

Reading through this forum it seems others have had the the dealer install the hitch (all that is in the factory tow package) and TBC. Can anyone specifically confirm this?

Added below for clarity:

I have already purchased and installed the OEM hitch / wiring and (almost) the Ford Redarc TBC as I was hoping to tow my 4250 lb trailer on the belief that the hitch (and 7 pin wiring) was all that was included in the factory tow package, therefore getting me the max 7500 lb capacity.

I was stuck completing the install of the TBC as I couldn't find the two wires under the dash so I took it to the dealer for help. I wanted the Ford Redarc part to ensure compatibility with the emergency braking system. The dealer is telling me that this is not possible on a truck without the factory tow package, therefor limiting me to 1650 lbs - or 3500 lbs if I put an aftermarket TBC in that will not work with the EBS.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
If it were me, I wouldn't go back to the dealer for a hitch and TBC. If it didn't come installed from the factory I'm reluctant to trust a local dealer to take care of it. Find a good, reputable hitch place near you. It will be a lot cheaper too!

I can't really speak to the specific towing capacity of your Ranger. But if it's just a 1000 lbs, then no need for the TBC.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it were me, I wouldn't go back to the dealer for a hitch and TBC. If it didn't come installed from the factory I'm reluctant to trust a local dealer to take care of it. Find a good, reputable hitch place near you. It will be a lot cheaper too!

I can't really speak to the specific towing capacity of your Ranger. But if it's just a 1000 lbs, then no need for the TBC.
I have already added the Factory hitch and the Ford TBC - just couldn't find the blue and yellow wires up under the dash to complete the install so I went to the dealer.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I have already added the Factory hitch and the Ford TBC - just couldn't find the blue and yellow wires up under the dash to complete the install so I went to the dealer.
None of that was mentioned in your original post. However, my advice would be the same.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Ford Rangers WITHOUT the tow package are rated to tow 3500 lbs with a maximum hitch weight of 350 lbs. These weights are regulated by the bumper and its rating. Also, there is no trailer wiring plug, and must be added as an aftermarket item
A Ranger with the tow package is equipped with a class 3 receiver hitch and is pre wired with both a 4 and 7 pin trailer wiring plug port. Also, the tow package has the truck pre-wired for a brake controller, the wires are located under the dash to the left. Not 100% sure, but I don't believe the Rangers without the to package will have the brake control wires pre-installed.
The trucks, other than the "package" are identical.
You can add a good quality class 3 receiver hitch mount and do your own wiring set up, but you must be knowledgeable in how to properly wire the truck.
If your going to tow something that requires a brake controller, and your not familiar with wiring, it's best left to a knowledgeable installer. A Ford dealer usually won't want to get involved with an aftermarket set-up.

Attachments

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger that did not come from factory with the tow package and says maximum towing capacity for my 2020 XL 4x4 is 1000 lbs. Ford Customer service says what the dealer told me is correct.

Reading through this forum it seems others have had the the dealer install the hitch (all that is in the factory tow package) and TBC. Can anyone specifically confirm this?
None of that was mentioned in your original post. However, my advice would be the same.
Thanks - let me edit the first post to make it clearer. Sorry about that.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Rangers WITHOUT the tow package are rated to tow 3500 lbs with a maximum hitch weight of 350 lbs. These weights are regulated by the bumper and its rating. Also, there is no trailer wiring plug, and must be added as an aftermarket item
A Ranger with the tow package is equipped with a class 3 receiver hitch and is pre wired with both a 4 and 7 pin trailer wiring plug port. Also, the tow package has the truck pre-wired for a brake controller, the wires are located under the dash to the left. Not 100% sure, but I don't believe the Rangers without the to package will have the brake control wires pre-installed.
The trucks, other than the "package" are identical.
You can add a good quality class 3 receiver hitch mount and do your own wiring set up, but you must be knowledgeable in how to properly wire the truck.
If your going to tow something that requires a brake controller, and your not familiar with wiring, it's best left to a knowledgeable installer. A Ford dealer usually won't want to get involved with an aftermarket set-up.
Thanks for the reply - I edited my original post for clarity as I was a little frustrated when I first posted. These are all Ford OEM parts.

The dealer also told me that my truck was missing the "other coolers" that come with the tow package - given you said what I already knew about the tow package being just hitch/wiring, they might not be the best option...

When I replaced the original bumper with the Ford OEM hitch, I also added the combined 7/4 pin connector and the wiring harness to that. The harness install is simply unplug the old that went to the 4 pin and plug in the new. Its interesting that 7 wires run upstream from that connection including the heavier gauge blue wire for the trailer brakes that I could not find under the dash. This lead me to believe it was in there somewhere.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Only cooler that I can think of that might not come with the standard Ranger would be a transmission cooler, but that can also be added as an aftermarket item.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply - I edited my original post for clarity as I was a little frustrated when I first posted. These are all Ford OEM parts.

The dealer also told me that my truck was missing the "other coolers" that come with the tow package - given you said what I already knew about the tow package being just hitch/wiring, they might not be the best option...

When I replaced the original bumper with the Ford OEM hitch, I also added the combined 7/4 pin connector and the wiring harness to that. The harness install is simply unplug the old that went to the 4 pin and plug in the new. Its interesting that 7 wires run upstream from that connection including the heavier gauge blue wire for the trailer brakes that I could not find under the dash. This lead me to believe it was in there somewhere.
there is no added "coolers" in the factory tow package.

It only comes with
• 4-pin/7-pin Wiring Harness
• Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver

all of which you seem to have added. Just take it to another dealer or place that actually adds aftermarket towing to get you wired up.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on other threads I've seen here, the XL Trim level trucks don't have the prewiring for the TBC. XLT and Lariat do for sure even if they don't come with the factory tow package.
I thought I had seen a post from someone with a 2020 XL saying the wiring was there but maybe that was just wishful thinking - there are multiple posts from XLT / Lariat owners saying their trucks do have it.

Wondering if I can add part KB3Z-15A416-C which is the trailer tow wiring kit that Ford installed on the early 2019s that didn't come with the wiring.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Some '19 and '20 XLs are missing the TBC wiring. Basically you only need two additional wires for the TBC. Unfortunately neither are simple to install. You'll need a +12v from the battery, and you'll need a brake output wire to run from the cab under the truck to connect to the blue brake wire.

Both of these will require going through the firewall. It really isn't that difficult of a job if you're familiar with running auto wiring.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Vger900

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
My 2019 has the tow package but I ended up getting a Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller. So simple, no wiring. Plugs into the 7 pin socket, then plug the trailer into the Curt. Trailer brakes are Bluetooth controlled by my Android phone. No wiring involved. And it can be transferred to another vehicle if needed.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2019 has the tow package but I ended up getting a Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller. So simple, no wiring. Plugs into the 7 pin socket, then plug the trailer into the Curt. Trailer brakes are Bluetooth controlled by my Android phone. No wiring involved. And it can be transferred to another vehicle if needed.
Thanks for the info. I was trying to use Ford parts to ensure compatibility with the emergency braking system.

The dealer is looking into part KB3Z-15A416-C - meant to be the wiring kit for trucks built without the wires under the dash for the TBC. My truck has the correct wiring running back to the connector for the 7 pin I installed.
Sponsored