Some Trailering Bones to Pick With Ford

frmtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew 2wd (301a, Trailer Tow, Locker)
The Ranger has a single-leaf rear spring on each side. The only way I can think of to lower the back would be to get different shackles. I've seen a few lowered, but I don't know how it's done. I'm one of those lifted guys. I work off road on pipeline construction, so I need the clearance. Sorry!
The most straightforward way to lower it would be an axle flip— stick axles usually go above the leaf pack, and moving them below (like the stock ranger) is an easy way to lift them. Would probably require a little fab work (u-bolts, shock mounts) and possibly a driveshaft balance.
Sponsored

NotAloneRanger

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
#1 I agree with
#2 doesn't really bother me, but I do agree that it should be the other way
#3 To each his own on this one. I prefer the tow mode not come on. More often than not I tow short distances and don't want the tow mode on. I only want it on when I do a mountain trip.
#4 I completely agree
#5 Have to disagree with you on this. I absolutely do NOT want tow mirrors to come with the tow package. That being said, Ford should have tow mirrors available as an option
#6 Yes it is small. Embarrassing. It hurts my manhood :frown:
#7 THAT would be an awesome feature. Didn't even know any vehicle had that.

I completely disagree with those that think you are expecting too much from a mid-sized truck and fully disagree with the poster that said these are "lifestyle trucks". Really? I only bought mine because I was tired of driving a full size truck. It is and will be a full out work truck. Yes...I am very disappointed there are no stake pockets, so I can haul more junk with it. What's wrong with wanting "truck" capabilities, but in a smaller size? These are full blown work trucks in all markets except North America.
The original poster may have been a bit over zealous in his critique (sorry BowWow), but he didn't complain about anything that couldn't or shouldn't be on or available with a mid-size truck.

BTW BowWow, it's good to know the truck handled 7k through the BC/AB mountains. I haven't had to test mine yet, but was concerned with how it would do hauling my 6k boat from Vancouver to the Okanangan.
FYI, I installed a set of airbags just so I won't get the headlight flash when towing.
Let me know how the Eibachs work for you. I do find the Ranger wallows/bounces a bit to much with a load.
What kind of WDH do you have?

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
What kind of WDH do you have?
I don't use one. Never have. I don't weight the tongue of my trailer as heavy as the 10~15% that is "recommended", so a WDH isn't needed. I do about 5~7% and have never had an issue with trailer sway.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Great Thread. Nothing wrong with wanting the best of your truck. I really like the way the truck tows. Plenty of power.

I do want an option on the headlights. The truck sits down level on the rear with the trailer attached and this messes up the headlight angle. I have heard of self leveling headlights but not sure if they are available for the ranger.

Thanks for the suggestions on the Eibachs. A stiffer backend would smooth out the ride on road to the mountain.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Great Thread. Nothing wrong with wanting the best of your truck. I really like the way the truck tows. Plenty of power.

I do want an option on the headlights. The truck sits down level on the rear with the trailer attached and this messes up the headlight angle. I have heard of self leveling headlights but not sure if they are available for the ranger.

Thanks for the suggestions on the Eibachs. A stiffer backend would smooth out the ride on road to the mountain.
I'm disappointed that the Ranger doesn't have self-levelling headlights tbh. My last 3 vehicles had that and they were KIA's and Hyundai's. One was just a car, and the others were crossovers. You would think a truck would have more need than a car or crossover...

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
That would be a nice option, but likely pricey. Since my Ranger is mostly used for towing in the summer and is rarely driven after dark, what I've settled for is adjusting the lights for the trailer at the beginning of tow season and then setting them back for the winter when it gets more after-dark time on the road.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
3. The truck knows when a trailer has been plugged in. All sorts of warnings and stuff flash on the screen. But you have to manually press the Trailer Tow button to put the transmission into town mode. Again, seriously, Ford? If the truck knows a trailer is plugged in, have it tell the bloody transmission!!! It should automatically turn the trailer tow mode on when a trailer is plugged in. Then, if I don't want the trailer tow engaged, make me turn it off, not on!
#3 To each his own on this one. I prefer the tow mode not come on. More often than not I tow short distances and don't want the tow mode on. I only want it on when I do a mountain trip.
Need to update my response on this one. Still haven't towed, but have been using tow mode quite a bit (for the compression braking) coming back from skiing.
So now my response is going to be a bit more supportive. :blush: Doesn't really matter to me whether it comes on automatically or not, BUT it should remember your last setting. Having it reset to "off" when turning the truck off could be irritating when you're getting less than 200mi between fill ups and you have to stop every 40 miles for the wife or one of the kids to go pee.

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone considered the addition of a transmission cooler for long heavy pulls?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone considered the addition of a transmission cooler for long heavy pulls?
HI Kris,

We used to offer a remote cooler for the trans, OEM installed on the assembly line. The owner's manual indicated a recommendation for after sale install for towing. As I recall the new 5G manual as no reference to this and as we test under max tow conditions my conclusion is it is not needed with the 10 speed automatic. JMO at this point...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
HI Kris,

We used to offer a remote cooler for the trans, OEM installed on the assembly line. The owner's manual indicated a recommendation for after sale install for towing. As I recall the new 5G manual as no reference to this and as we test under max tow conditions my conclusion is it is not needed with the 10 speed automatic. JMO at this point...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
It is my understanding that these Rangers come with a factory transmission cooler. It's not the same as we'd expect as a front radiator, but it does exist.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/clutch-parts/oil-cooler-assy-12254119-1

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
HI Kris,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Good evening Phil:
Your opinion in this area is worth more than my ruminations.
I have installed an auxiliary transmission cooler on two of my three tow vehicles, and was wondering if it was necessary for this truck. I was thinking no, but wanted second opinions.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Kris

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
It is my understanding that these Rangers come with a factory transmission cooler. It's not the same as we'd expect as a front radiator, but it does exist.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/clutch-parts/oil-cooler-assy-12254119-1
Good evening Gizmokid2005:
I had read that there was one built in but it didn't seem to be quite what I had been using in the past.
The previous ones were like another radiator, but this looks more like a tub, so I didn't know what to think.

If I had one area of my XLT I would change it would be to increase the instrumentation on these trucks to include the four traditional gauges--even if it was a setting on the central display.

Kris

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Good evening Gizmokid2005:
I had read that there was one built in but it didn't seem to be quite what I had been using in the past.
The previous ones were like another radiator, but this looks more like a tub, so I didn't know what to think.

If I had one area of my XLT I would change it would be to increase the instrumentation on these trucks to include the four traditional gauges--even if it was a setting on the central display.

Kris
I agree entirely. There is a way to do this with your phone through some apps (at least for Android) that takes over your Sync display, but it's a hacky option at best. So far I've never gotten anywhere near putting my transmission temperatures in danger despite towing and hard offroading in 100F+ heat.

missesbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew Sport
I agree entirely. There is a way to do this with your phone through some apps (at least for Android) that takes over your Sync display, but it's a hacky option at best. So far I've never gotten anywhere near putting my transmission temperatures in danger despite towing and hard offroading in 100F+ heat.
Gizmokid2005, how much weight would you say you're towing? I'm interested in your experiences with the 100+ degree heat if you are towing around 5000 lbs. I'm used to watching my temp gauges on my previous towing vehicle and miss those a bit when towing with my '20 Ranger.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Gizmokid2005, how much weight would you say you're towing? I'm interested in your experiences with the 100+ degree heat if you are towing around 5000 lbs. I'm used to watching my temp gauges on my previous towing vehicle and miss those a bit when towing with my '20 Ranger.
I don't have *long term* experience with the towing, and the towing temps weren't that high, the off-roading was. The towing I did was 5500lbs through mountains here in CA along the west coast and it didn't even break a sweat. Looking back through my Torque datalogs (which has been a long-standing back-burner project) it appears that my transmission temp PID is not being logged, so I don't have specific numbers to look back at, but I remember in all of my catching the gauges by eye I don't ever recall seeing much past 220°F in severe off-road instances.
Sponsored