Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger without factory tow package.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This seems like a nice controller but was kinda put off by the disclaimer :(

"Not recommended if you would get annoyed using a mobile app to operate the controller, especially if you use your phone for maps or music while towing ."

So I take it that while towing you can't use the bluetooth for anything else ?
Exactly my problem with the Curt Echo. I know during Normal operation you don't need the phone for it to work after initial setup. But, if the situation comes up where you need to manually apply the brakes, it's not the time to messing with your phone. Give me a hardwired button.
Sponsored

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Being the soon to be owner of a 2021 Ranger (have a VIN and build date) who intends to tow a 3500 lb trailer with it, I have been reading all I can on this board especially as it relates to towing.
I have read several postings that essentially say "why waste your money on the factory tow package?" Saying all you get is the wiring and hitch and any good trailer place can do it for less.
All I can say after reading through this thread is I am glad I spent the money on the "factory" tow package for my XL.
It does make you scratch your head to think Ford has somehow singled out the XL owners to leave off the important wiring. Seems like it would make more sense to just use one wiring harness on all Rangers.
And to hear a dealer mention a cooler being part of the towing package???... not true for sure. View attachment 104648 View attachment 104648
This is our new TT waiting for our Ranger.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab
Being the soon to be owner of a 2021 Ranger (have a VIN and build date) who intends to tow a 3500 lb trailer with it, I have been reading all I can on this board especially as it relates to towing.
I have read several postings that essentially say "why waste your money on the factory tow package?" Saying all you get is the wiring and hitch and any good trailer place can do it for less.
All I can say after reading through this thread is I am glad I spent the money on the "factory" tow package for my XL.
It does make you scratch your head to think Ford has somehow singled out the XL owners to leave off the important wiring. Seems like it would make more sense to just use one wiring harness on all Rangers.
And to hear a dealer mention a cooler being part of the towing package???... not true for sure. View attachment 104648 View attachment 104648
This is our new TT waiting for our Ranger.
100% agree - if I were to buy an XL again I would not without the factory tow package. I purchased my Ranger used and thought how hard can it be, its just a bolt on hitch, plug in wiring, and everyone has to install the TBC, tow package or not. The one thing that proved me wrong was the lack of the wiring under the dash in the XL.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would agree with the part about the 1000 lbs, IF you were towing using the rear bumper.
This sums up the mess that Ford have created with regards to towing with the Ranger. The non hitch bumper is actually rated up to 3500 lbs - but only with a trailer brake controller. It seems, if you have an XL without the tow package, there is no way for Ford to install the Ford trailer brake controller, thus limiting to you to 1500 lbs - a fact that is not mentioned anywhere. Obviously, aftermarket solutions exist but why should you have to go that route?

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
pretty much. phones aren't much good for multitasking. a few apps can do it, but others - psh. I think the idea of this thing is that the tbc app is up all the time just in case you need to use it.

my phone gets used for maps and music (sometimes both), so using it to control my trailer brake is a nonstarter.
I suppose you could use an old phone that you have lying around , as long as it will run the app .

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This sums up the mess that Ford have created with regards to towing with the Ranger. The non hitch bumper is actually rated up to 3500 lbs - but only with a trailer brake controller. It seems, if you have an XL without the tow package, there is no way for Ford to install the Ford trailer brake controller, thus limiting to you to 1500 lbs - a fact that is not mentioned anywhere. Obviously, aftermarket solutions exist but why should you have to go that route?
Just to clarify this. The bumper is rated for 3500 lb GTW, with 350 max tongue weight. Trailer weight without trailer brakes is regulated by state law, having a controller has nothing to do with it. If the trailer has its own braking system, such as surge brakes, you are good to the rating of the hitch. Many times utility trailers and boat trailers, because they get submerged in water, have surge brake systems instead of electric brakes.

It is up to the owner to know what type of trailer he is going to be pulling and the required equipment. I agree it seems stupid for Ford to use a different harness for the non-tow XLs, which would seem to be the allest take rate. I thought this was corrected after it was found on some early MY 2019 trucks. Of course it took Ford a year and a half to come out with their own controller kit using a aftermarket module. :facepalm:

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to clarify this. The bumper is rated for 3500 lb GTW, with 350 max tongue weight. Trailer weight without trailer brakes is regulated by state law, having a controller has nothing to do with it. If the trailer has its own braking system, such as surge brakes, you are good to the rating of the hitch. Many times utility trailers and boat trailers, because they get submerged in water, have surge brake systems instead of electric brakes.

It is up to the owner to know what type of trailer he is going to be pulling and the required equipment. I agree it seems stupid for Ford to use a different harness for the non-tow XLs, which would seem to be the allest take rate. I thought this was corrected after it was found on some early MY 2019 trucks. Of course it took Ford a year and a half to come out with their own controller kit using a aftermarket module. :facepalm:
Ford limits towing of non braked trailers to 1650 lbs in the owners manual so to get to the max 3500 lbs for a non tow package XL you either need a trailer with surge brakes or an aftermarket TBC. There is no way to get to 3500 lbs from Ford.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford limits towing of non braked trailers to 1650 lbs in the owners manual so to get to the max 3500 lbs for a non tow package XL you either need a trailer with surge brakes or an aftermarket TBC. There is no way to get to 3500 lbs from Ford.
Ford has no way to know what you are going to tow so they give you the ratings they can control. It is then the responsibility of the owner to know the rules and requirements of what they are towing. They state a limit for 'unbraked' trailers. Most trailers over that will have brakes built in to them, unless home made. It is your responsibility to provide any equipment required to operate them. If required a brake controller can be installed in a truck without the wiring, just requires some extra wire pulls to do it.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
This seems like a nice controller but was kinda put off by the disclaimer :(

"Not recommended if you would get annoyed using a mobile app to operate the controller, especially if you use your phone for maps or music while towing ."

So I take it that while towing you can't use the bluetooth for anything else ?
you could always use an old phone or buy a used one

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford has no way to know what you are going to tow so they give you the ratings they can control. It is then the responsibility of the owner to know the rules and requirements of what they are towing. They state a limit for 'unbraked' trailers. Most trailers over that will have brakes built in to them, unless home made. It is your responsibility to provide any equipment required to operate them. If required a brake controller can be installed in a truck without the wiring, just requires some extra wire pulls to do it.
Wise words and completely agree. I was only pointing out that for every other possible combination of trim level and tow package except a non tow XL, a trip to your dealer and some $$ can get you to the 7500 lb max with Ford OEM parts. My research prior to purchase did not uncover that fact. I am frustrated with Ford that this is the case as I had hoped to end up with a nice seamless "factory" TBC and hitch but will be able to run the two missing wires myself.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Respectfully, your frustration is misplaced. Unfortunately, you bought the only version of the Ranger in the lineup that doesnā€™t have the option you need. I donā€˜t see how itā€™s fair to blame Ford for that, sorry.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Respectfully, your frustration is misplaced. Unfortunately, you bought the only version of the Ranger in the lineup that doesnā€™t have the option you need. I donā€˜t see how itā€™s fair to blame Ford for that, sorry.
You are right - point taken. I love everything else about the truck.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
The wiring for the TBC is supposed to be there according to their TSB. This isn't a '19/'20 XL non-tow thing. The harness is missing from what seems to be random '19 and '20 Xls, not all of them. The problem IMO is Ford doesn't have all the affected build dates in their TSB, so dealers are interpreting this as the harness isn't offered rather than it being missing.

I shared the same frustration when I went to install the TBC. Especially when people on the forums and fb group were insisting that wiring was there "you just have to look for it".
Sponsored