First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hey folks, need some advice. First, I am extremely mechanically and electrically inclined (engineer). I have done many vehicle stereo installed, etc.

I cannot get the connector that interfaces with the high mounted brake to work. Seems like some of my wires will not go in far enough.
The brake light and bed light do not work with the connector in place. They work when I put the factory connector back (w/o the TBC interfacing connector).

What is also odd is that the little white plastic piece on my gray connected was sticking out more than the factory one. I tried to push it, no help.

Here are some pictures.

Anyone have problems with this?

PXL_20211009_233643418.MP.jpg

PXL_20211009_234214696.MP.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Update: I can pull the little white end cap back out (using a pick to push the tiny tabs down) and then the wires go in way further. But when this white end piece is out, the connector will not plug all the way into the other side.

PXL_20211010_005916100.MP.jpg

OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Seems my issue is similar to this thread:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/oem-brake-controller-connector-issue.15548/
But I cannot seem to get the white connector to go in when the wires are present.

Update, I did what the guy in the above did...used normal pliers and got the white cap in, while the wire were fully inserted. Now it works. This install is a PITA, makes me want to buy a Tacoma out of spite for Ford's lack of engineering for towing.

Last edited:

PhilG

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, the same thing happened to me. I had to use a channel-lock pliars to gently push the connectors together. My fingers were not strong enough.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH