First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith
I called ahead to my local Mobil1 (Rockland Maine) quick lube and was told to come right over.

After a short wait I was waived into the bay and after another short wait I was asked to leave because the manager says "No" to new Ford Rangers since they are a hassle to work on and the last one took over an hour and held up their line. I love my truck. This is purely a rant on folks who consider their professional obligations as "hassles", and "not worth the aggravation".

What a waste of time. I even called ahead, and they still got me. Does this happen anywhere else (to anyone otherwise than myself)?

The next place I called put me on hold to set up an appointment and after 28 minutes of VIP ads I hung up.

I don't have a garage and don't want to lay on ice and frozen dirt to do this myself, but maybe snowmobile suits are on sale somewhere...
Sponsored

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Haven’t had that problem, but after checking local Ford dealer was less expensive than the “quick” change places anyway. Plus has the assurance if any problems Ford had the records.
Last oil change the dealership forgot to put the shroud back under the wheel well. Didn’t notice for a few weeks. They ordered a new one, put it on, apologized and asked me to please give them another try.
At least building a relationship with the service writers and service mgr can help get better service at the dealerships.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I called ahead to my local Mobil1 (Rockland Maine) quick lube and was told to come right over.

After a short wait I was waived into the bay and after another short wait I was asked to leave because the manager says "No" to new Ford Rangers since they are a hassle to work on and the last one took over an hour and held up their line. I love my truck. This is purely a rant on folks who consider their professional obligations as "hassles", and "not worth the aggravation".

What a waste of time. I even called ahead, and they still got me. Does this happen anywhere else (to anyone otherwise than myself)?

The next place I called put me on hold to set up an appointment and after 28 minutes of VIP ads I hung up.

I don't have a garage and don't want to lay on ice and frozen dirt to do this myself, but maybe snowmobile suits are on sale somewhere...
I always get my Ranger serviced at the Ford dealer where I bought it, and so I have not experienced this problem personally, but it is outrageous that a company that does Lube & Oil would refuse the work, also outrageously stupid from a business perspective, as you will likely take all of your business elsewhere, not just the L&O, which goes without saying....

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It hasn’t happened to me but a quick lube place once cut a hole in the plastic “skid plate” to drain the oil of my Passat rather than remove it.

It sucks that this happened. That’s just a bad way to run a business. If they learned about the procedure for Rangers (which they should), trained all their techs on the procedure (which they should) and made sure all front end staff were updated, they’d be able to perform the change quickly.

Your dealer is your best bet, especially if it’s your first oil change - they have a vested interest in establishing a relationship with new vehicle owners and the warranty and recall revenue that comes their way.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Wow that's some terrible business practice there. I usually just bring mine to the Ford dealer but right before we left for UT I didn't have time. I went to my local Firestone who's done them before with my Tacoma and they had no issues what so ever. I know some areas in Maine are very small and spread out but hopefully there's another company close by to get this done for you.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
It sucks that this happened. That’s just a bad way to run a business. If they learned about the procedure for Rangers (which they should), trained all their techs on the procedure (which they should) and made sure all front end staff were updated, they’d be able to perform the change quickly.

Your dealer is your best bet, especially if it’s your first oil change - they have a vested interest in establishing a relationship with new vehicle owners and the warranty and recall revenue that comes their way.

You may be lucky. I can't imagine why an oil change would take an hour. If the $12hr tech was having that much difficulty, what may (s)he forgotten to do during the process? There may be a Ranger running around with the wrong grade oil, loose shield, drain plug etc.
I'd go on their website and leave them a honest review, as I'm sure you won't be back there with any of your other vehicles and neither should any other Ranger owners and their other vehicles.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I wouldn't trust a minimum wage grease ball changing my oil anyways. It isn't too dificult after you get the first change out of the way. I do understand not laying in snow and ice, though. Maybe get your supplies ready for a warm day?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Those places can be very dicey. I talked to a young tech who quit there because they had him clean up and wash out filters when they didn’t have one in stock. They can’t “hold up the line”. Not condemning all of them but...

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
It hasn’t happened to me but a quick lube place once cut a hole in the plastic “skid plate” to drain the oil of my Passat rather than remove it.
This is why I have trust issues ha. It's also why I do it myself. I understand those that aren't able to having to take it in for changes, but I won't ever. As long as I'm physically able.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I have trust issues ha. It's also why I do it myself. I understand those that aren't able to having to take it in for changes, but I won't ever. As long as I'm physically able.
I avoid those places and usually service my own vehicles but it was the dead of winter and my wife was reminding me of the Oil Change message on the car’s monitor more often than the car was. ?

I discovered the hole when I did the next oil change. The car is black but the air sure was blue for a while.

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XTL crew

I would leave a one stare review for sure. I took my ranger to a Valvoline and was out in 25 max. They did say rangers where not fun to change but all they had to do was turn the wheel to gain access.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
you can see how they won't want a Ranger when they are shooting for 10 minute changes.
I suppose but that's not a very good business model...as we can see here poor service travels fast.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
JMO
I'm not being snarky b/c you already said doing it yourself was not an option...
I have a hard time trusting basically anyone, as a career construction manager I'm an adult baby-sitter. So other than my son who I've trained since he was 5 to work on vehicles, we do all our own scheduled maintenance. This one is a bit of a pain but after you have done it a few times there are tricks. Agreed with the way its set up there are some details that you need to be able to trust [there is that word again] the person doing it.
In a jam I guess I would be pretty comfortable taking it to my dealership b/c they have done a nice job so far on the warranty work on my '19 Ranger & wife's '20 Escape Hybrid. They know I'm one of those 'special' people and expect it done 100% right [and that I will check].

Like others have said its good they did not butcher it on you, sux that they wasted your time though. Maybe they have not seen one yet?

A good alternative is to find a smaller local guy who will probably cost more but will understand your level of need, expectation and service it properly.

BTW the factory oil filter was INSANE tight like mongo the ape did it! There was a time when I felt it was gonna twist like a coke can. Luckily the factory filters are stouter than most.
Sponsored