Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Well....what a joke...Quick Lane... I guess 4 hours is quick to our local dealer. I had to schedule a month out to get an oil change. I cringed as I do my own work, but this great (otherwise) extended warranty requires a "professional" business changes the oil. CRAP! So I book a month out...no biggie as the truck only has 4200 miles on it and has had two previous oil changes done by me. So today was the time. Drop off time was 2pm. Wife followed me in the Nautilus and when I turned in the Ranger, we headed to the two block away sports bar for a beer or two and a Montana Burger....our favorite. So on beer number three of the two beers planned I get a phone call...The tech cannot check tire pressure due to my "funny" valve stem caps... My RV Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors. I tell the service writer that they are part of the RV TPMS so do not check the pressures. "Well, it is part of our service as most people do not know how to check tire pressures". I told her I did know, I was a Ford Engineer in Light Truck Engineering so I knew how to check pressures...just ignore the tire pressure check. "Well...Okay" So during beer 4 of the two beers planned I get a call to come get the vehicle...we are only 2 blocks away....So wife drives me to the dealer and heads home. Service writer is busy but sees me. Then finally walks over to me, sitting there bored and tells me the Tech is just finishing up with my Ranger? 45 minutes in on the promised 15 minutes to deliver the vehicle. Get the paperwork and head to the cashier...pay and bring receipt back to the Service Writer. Get the keys and out to the Ranger...Dealer does not wash it for customers...Hop in and crank up the motor....display shows the Left Front tire is low at 24 lbs...Strange but okay...will air it up at the house. Then it is down to 22...and then 20 followed by 18 and finally 15 when I pulled into the garage.????? WTF???? So jack up the vehicle left front with my floor jack and search the tire for a nail etc. Tire is okay....so further puzzlement... Pull the RV TPMS sensor which has an antitheft set screw needing a 1/8" allen head wrench. Aired up the tire...again checked. All was well. So I get what happened....the Tech tried to unscrew the sensor but the antitheft set screw prevented removal but did unseat the sensor and create an air leak. Arrrrrrg! I hate not being able to do my own work....

Best,
Phil
Sponsored

tm1506

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Outback XT
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks,

Well....what a joke...Quick Lane... I guess 4 hours is quick to our local dealer. I had to schedule a month out to get an oil change. I cringed as I do my own work, but this great (otherwise) extended warranty requires a "professional" business changes the oil. CRAP! So I book a month out...no biggie as the truck only has 4200 miles on it and has had two previous oil changes done by me. So today was the time. Drop off time was 2pm. Wife followed me in the Nautilus and when I turned in the Ranger, we headed to the two block away sports bar for a beer or two and a Montana Burger....our favorite. So on beer number three of the two beers planned I get a phone call...The tech cannot check tire pressure due to my "funny" valve stem caps... My RV Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors. I tell the service writer that they are part of the RV TPMS so do not check the pressures. "Well, it is part of our service as most people do not know how to check tire pressures". I told her I did know, I was a Ford Engineer in Light Truck Engineering so I knew how to check pressures...just ignore the tire pressure check. "Well...Okay" So during beer 4 of the two beers planned I get a call to come get the vehicle...we are only 2 blocks away....So wife drives me to the dealer and heads home. Service writer is busy but sees me. Then finally walks over to me, sitting there bored and tells me the Tech is just finishing up with my Ranger? 45 minutes in on the promised 15 minutes to deliver the vehicle. Get the paperwork and head to the cashier...pay and bring receipt back to the Service Writer. Get the keys and out to the Ranger...Dealer does not wash it for customers...Hop in and crank up the motor....display shows the Left Front tire is low at 24 lbs...Strange but okay...will air it up at the house. Then it is down to 22...and then 20 followed by 18 and finally 15 when I pulled into the garage.????? WTF???? So jack up the vehicle left front with my floor jack and search the tire for a nail etc. Tire is okay....so further puzzlement... Pull the RV TPMS sensor which has an antitheft set screw needing a 1/8" allen head wrench. Aired up the tire...again checked. All was well. So I get what happened....the Tech tried to unscrew the sensor but the antitheft set screw prevented removal but did unseat the sensor and create an air leak. Arrrrrrg! I hate not being able to do my own work....

Best,
Phil
That sucks Phil! Although it's not much of a consolation at least you were in the sports bar and not the dealership waiting room the whole time. Hopefully you had some good beers!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Part of my service plan is flat tire fix and rotation N/C. Long story but my son trying to “help dad” snapped off one of my valve stems. ? Great! Put on the spare and drop it off tomorrow at the dealer. They call me to come down and get it and INSIST they put the tire back on and will happily rotate while it’s up. Fine get er done. Drive home and take a lap around the truck. One of my lug nuts is missing on right front! Dang you guys and drive back to dealer to get it. They can’t find it! It’s a black gorilla nut guys. Still no find, so service dept has to write up paperwork for ONE nut. A chrome one too. So had to order my own replacement. Just got an email from service dept. We miss you and it’s time for a tire rotation and 2 recalls. Thanks but no thanks guys.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Ford should partner with sports bars based on how not quick their quick lanes are.. drive people over for a beer. Win! Less anger.

Thanks to the long waits I finally did my own change and tire rotation after owning it for a year. First three were on the dealership. Not bad, but not the easiest change I've done so I can see some wanting or needing someone else to do the oil/tire rotation.

I dread the day I can no longer wrench on my own. It isnt too far down the road with my knees and back. Thanks Army.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
All reasons to do it yourself! You know its done right!
When we first got together my wife used to ask why I didn't just take our vehicles somewhere. This thread explains it perfectly.

I will change the oil, rotate tires etc. until I am so damn old that I physically cannot do it anymore.

I freak out when someone mistreats my vehicle.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
When we first got together my wife used to ask why I didn't just take our vehicles somewhere. This thread explains it perfectly.

I will change the oil, rotate tires etc. until I am so damn old that I physically cannot do it anymore.

I freak out when someone mistreats my vehicle.
Absolutely! We have a good friend who works at the Ford dealer here......he does the wife's Escape service...........I still do all my own on the Ranger!

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
So really - these guys aren’t any more trained then the regular quick lube shops we all want to stay away from.
I have to say I haven’t had that bad of an experience so far with my escape or ranger. However having said that I think I am getting ripped off on “the works” for my ranger. Says the service is supposed to be a synthetic blend but they keep filling it up with regular oil - the only reason I know that is cause the parts # on the work order is regular oil. On the escape it list the synth blend # (for whatever reason for Canadians the manual recommends regular “premium” oil and south of the border it’s synth blend). I asked about it once and they said it costs extra for synth blend. Complete head scratcher to me.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I sold a car almost immediately after a recall came out that entailed valve spring replacement because I knew what type of people would be working on the car at the dealer. Being a newer Subaru, the engine needed to come out and half apart to do the job. No thanks, I don't don't want to deal with the future problems from a tech rushing through the job.

I can do it, but I don't want to do it. I'll. Just buy a better car.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
That sucks Phil. It's true they put the newbies on oil changes and air fills. (What could go wrong, right?) Plenty, it turns out. On my first (and last) Quick Lane oil change, I found the oil drain plug not even finger tight. I discovered this after returning from a road trip to NC and back. Fortunately nothing leaked, but could have been a disaster. Lesson learned, I am back to changing my own oil.

moorejl57

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, fully damped
Occupation
Engineer
Ford should partner with sports bars based on how not quick their quick lanes are.. drive people over for a beer. Win! Less anger....
I once had a root canal where the dentist gave me a card for a free milkshake at a nearby ice cream place. I asked him if he saw the irony in it. He claimed people get low blood sugar from dental work lol.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Part of my service plan is flat tire fix and rotation N/C. Long story but my son trying to “help dad” snapped off one of my valve stems. ? Great! Put on the spare and drop it off tomorrow at the dealer. They call me to come down and get it and INSIST they put the tire back on and will happily rotate while it’s up. Fine get er done. Drive home and take a lap around the truck. One of my lug nuts is missing on right front! Dang you guys and drive back to dealer to get it. They can’t find it! It’s a black gorilla nut guys. Still no find, so service dept has to write up paperwork for ONE nut. A chrome one too. So had to order my own replacement. Just got an email from service dept. We miss you and it’s time for a tire rotation and 2 recalls. Thanks but no thanks guys.
THIS is why I do my own work if at all possible.

Side note: I just had the truck in to fix a persistent idle surging problem. This resulted in a replacement of the PCM and one sensor (I forget right now which one). The truck now behaves well, but the day after I got it home I had a "tire pressure low" warning light. Right Rear.

It was only slightly below the threshold, and I didn't get around to checking it out until the weekend. I didn't drive the truck at all, and Saturday morning it was completely flat. I found a weird looking metal part stuck in there, and the tire is impossible to repair. I suspect it was picked up in the Ford parking lot, as that is one of two trips on the truck including the service visit, and the light came on the day after the Ford visit.

This isn't proof, so I am not even going to bother with a claim, but it is just feeding my cognitive bias to KEEP THE CAR OUT of anyone else's hands. SO I am out the cost of a new / replacement tire. So NOW I am going to have to check the filter and drain plug, since I "allowed" them to do an oil change.

Thanks for listening. I'm Dave, and I WILL keep coming back.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
My last service was a several hour oil change (included with vehicle purchase). The checkout process was agonizingly slow. I checked my dash cam and the car was done 45min before they let me leave. Painful.
Sponsored