Mobil quick lube refused to change my oil

racinteach

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Wow so sad, in Ca all the quick lube places do it with no issue.. but I have found that the dealer cost is not different so I take it there when time permits. Have done the change myself as well.. saved quite a bit of money compared to all of them..
Sponsored

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
the Works in 30 minutes???
that's one very efficient mechanic, or two

or they skipped a lot of the work.

1610390041347.png

1610390083526.png
Seriously... I spend about 1.3 hours for a oil change and tire rotational with a 64 point photo inspection. When I worked at the dealer it was 20-30 min and no one checks anything really. I looked at some fluids, top up washer fluid, check endlinks and struts and lights. That's it. Now at an independent shop I look over the car 100% and it takes forever. Dealer charged .5 hours and my new work is .8 hours (mostly because of the rotate which dealer would tack on .5 making it an hour if the customer wanted a rotate)

Tyler B

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Service texh
I called ahead to my local Mobil1 (Rockland Maine) quick lube and was told to come right over.

After a short wait I was waived into the bay and after another short wait I was asked to leave because the manager says "No" to new Ford Rangers since they are a hassle to work on and the last one took over an hour and held up their line. I love my truck. This is purely a rant on folks who consider their professional obligations as "hassles", and "not worth the aggravation".

What a waste of time. I even called ahead, and they still got me. Does this happen anywhere else (to anyone otherwise than myself)?

The next place I called put me on hold to set up an appointment and after 28 minutes of VIP ads I hung up.

I don't have a garage and don't want to lay on ice and frozen dirt to do this myself, but maybe snowmobile suits are on sale somewhere...
Weird it really shouldn’t be that hard to do for those guys considering it took me half the time to do it myself and not to mention that have better tools and equipment than me. But what do I know

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
I had heard the oil filter in particular was a PITA on the new Rangers, so when I took mine in to the local 5 MInute Oil Change I made sure to ask for the manager who is someone I trust from bringing other vehicles in for the last 2-3 years. He was able to get it done, but it took him a lot longer than the 5 minutes. :)

Personally, I'd love to change the oil myself but it's worth the money to have someone do it for me. I generally change the brakes on my cars myself because that is pretty expensive compared to the difficulty. And I would bring my Ranger into the Ford dealership, but I hate to waste all day on an oil change. Sure, they may be able to do the actual task in just a few minutes but it will take them 2 hours to get to it. Not a judgement of Ford guys; I've found that with every dealership I've ever dealt with.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
I went to my local place today and they changed the oil just fine. He had a little difficulty with the filter because it was the first one he had experienced and he apologized for the extra five minutes it took. I told him it was no problem and he said that at least he'd be quicker now that he had faced one.
where did you take yours?
i deal with southgate & the "well the rangers are spiecal & they take so much more time"
im getting older & really would rather have it done

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
where did you take yours?
i deal with southgate & the "well the rangers are spiecal & they take so much more time"
im getting older & really would rather have it done
It was a Jiffy Lube. The same place used to be a private local owner that I always went to and didn't even notice it wasn't his anymore until I got in the bay.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Not sure what video you were watching. Changing the oil is not difficult at all. The filter placement sounds bad when you first hear about it, but it's really pretty readily accessible.
The ones I saw the filter was hurried behind the front tire behind the dust flap that had to be removed.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Haven’t had that problem, but after checking local Ford dealer was less expensive than the “quick” change places anyway. Plus has the assurance if any problems Ford had the records.
Last oil change the dealership forgot to put the shroud back under the wheel well. Didn’t notice for a few weeks. They ordered a new one, put it on, apologized and asked me to please give them another try.
At least building a relationship with the service writers and service mgr can help get better service at the dealerships.
My last oil change at the dealer was $85. Up from the $55 I paid prior at the same dealership.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
The Valvoline Instant Oil Change place here in Nashua told me that they don't do the new Rnagers because 'you have to take the driver's side wheel off' !! I corrected them but they still refused, 'they take too long'. :-( It's too bad, I've been taking my trucks there for years. The local dealer wait times and turn around times are ridiculous (and their attention to detail is about the same (C+ at best) as everywhere else).
I just did my first oil change on my 2020 4x2 last Saturday and did not need to remove the left front wheel to access the splash shield, though the 3" lift I added months ago did help. Glad that Ford is taking cues from other manufacturers (most likely Asian) and provided the oil drippage channeling plastic for the filter. You would never have seen this in the '70-80's, attached are pics of the filter removal tool (Craftsman) I used, I've owned it for years...worked like a charm

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I called ahead to my local Mobil1 (Rockland Maine) quick lube and was told to come right over.

After a short wait I was waived into the bay and after another short wait I was asked to leave because the manager says "No" to new Ford Rangers since they are a hassle to work on and the last one took over an hour and held up their line. I love my truck. This is purely a rant on folks who consider their professional obligations as "hassles", and "not worth the aggravation".

What a waste of time. I even called ahead, and they still got me. Does this happen anywhere else (to anyone otherwise than myself)?

The next place I called put me on hold to set up an appointment and after 28 minutes of VIP ads I hung up.

I don't have a garage and don't want to lay on ice and frozen dirt to do this myself, but maybe snowmobile suits are on sale somewhere...
I quit going to "Idiot Lube" long ago. Had my van in for an oil change, told them to fill the filter before installing. The manager argued with me over it stating its not a diesel and doesnt need it, argued back, I don't care its what I do and its what I want you to do. He said begrudgingly ok. I stepped out to watch the tech, the manager saw me and said to the tech, Oh Ya, be sure and pre fill the filter. That was my last time, over 20 years ago. Plus all the arguing with the shit I don't need that they try and up sell you...no thanks
Sponsored